what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Ebay

Post by what-time-is-it » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am

0uatiOW wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 am
the cost of eBay and PayPal fees means it has to sell at least at a 13% premium before you make any profit, and the hassle of a return in the event of a no-sale doesn’t excite me enough.
Many sellers wait for the £1 FVF promotions - which typically happen every 2/3 weeks. So it's £1 in fees to ebay instead of the usual 10%, plus paypal and postage - so a big saving if you selling something of reasonable value.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by nbg » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:14 pm

My thoughts: :)

- The CW watches on eBay thing has been done to death over the years.
- Both the forum and CW have altered their rules and processes to limit people bagging up.
- It’s not as if there are hundreds of BNIB CW watches on eBay that have all come from the recent sale.
- “It’s not fair, these watches should go to enthusiasts, rather than profiteers”. Ah that would be lukewarm enthusiasts, who wanted the watch so badly, that they couldn’t be bothered to buy outside of a sale offering....

Time to go for a walk out in the Sun, so I can gather my thoughts for writing a review of a NN 30% off RRP that I picked up in the sale. If someone else had bought it instead of me, I would just have taken the view “c’est la vie”!

Neil
(A chap who has never bought or sold anything on eBay and has no intention of doing so)
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:11 pm

what-time-is-it wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am

Many sellers wait for the £1 FVF promotions - which typically happen every 2/3 weeks. So it's £1 in fees to ebay instead of the usual 10%, plus paypal and postage - so a big saving if you selling something of reasonable value.
so long as it sells first time out, if not ebay whack you for the full fees. With fixed price formats typically things don't sell first time out - that's what 60/60 is for and maybe, just maybe a watch finally ends in a good home at clearance prices....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm not currently an active seller on ebay, but if I had items to sell that were using the £1 promotions, I would end them and re-list them every time I'm eligible for an offer. One of the many reasons why items are ended prematurely and re-listed is because of this. I agree if they are unsold and auto renew then the re-listed item will be at full fees.

They've been doing the £1 promos now for 3/4 years, so if you have something to sell another offer will present itself within a week or two.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris

MarkingTime
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by MarkingTime » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm

My take on this is that forum members are going to be ahead of the game in terms of a heads up. We all generally know when a sale is about to start and so all have the same opportunity to purchase.
There were plenty of watches for sale and that are still being listed at the sale prices, clearly not all hoovered up by all the CW fans on this forum, so I would suggest that we are not really the target market for the sales and not all that fanatical about CW watches either, or else collectively, we would have bought up the lot before the more general public so much as got a sniff. Granted, there were a few specials that only a very few would have been lucky enough to snap up.
Limits: I don't know about limits, but one seller appeared to have eight models for sale.
NN/BN: Plenty of NN models sold as new, I'm sure and really, who would know the difference between a mint NN and a brand new watch, both with the 5 year warranty?
It's frustrating to miss out on something that you really might have liked, but I suggest that it's the missing out bit that fuels the sense of injustice. In future, apply a bit of self help, even the odds and get yourselves on the mailing list and get up early next time.
I cannot see that CW themselves would see a problem with all this, they just want shot of old stock and are not going to rely on a relatively small customer base to move it all. We cannot, after all, manage to even get 25 people to agree on a forum LE, so what special consideration should we have ?

MarkingTime
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by MarkingTime » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:52 pm

I should also like to add, that I have myself purchased from eBay, a CW watch that must have clearly been in the sale at some point, as I paid more for it than the original invoice showed and this was even after it had been worn for a few years, should I be feeling a deep sense of injustice?

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Viognier » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 pm

MarkingTime wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm
My take on this is that forum members are going to be ahead of the game in terms of a heads up. We all generally know when a sale is about to start and so all have the same opportunity to purchase.

…. In future, apply a bit of self help, even the odds and get yourselves on the mailing list and get up early next time.
^ Quote slightly adjusted to cover salient points. I respect your opinion and post MarkingTime.

Difficulty lies that anyone who purchases a CW (including the eBay Profiteers with the 60/60 safety net that they abuse) is on that same advance notification list....so they know exactly when as well. There is no forum advantage that they do not enjoy as well.

My overarching concern is their continued abuse of the 60/60 is going to lead to changes in that policy that will impact all of us....in a negative way. That's how it works is a few absolutely ruin it for the majority. IMO

Forum members are in it for the watch, these ya yas on eBay are purely in it for the profit of the instant flip with NO RISK that they cannot return unsold watches.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:15 pm

Viognier wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 pm

My overarching concern is their continued abuse of the 60/60 is going to lead to changes in that policy that will impact all of us....in a negative way. That's how it works is a few absolutely ruin it for the majority. IMO
What evidence do you have that the 60 day is being abused? I suspect if a 'bulk' buyer is returning multiples they would be barred from ordering. More likely if the price is right, they keep until it sells irrespective of whether it's within 60 days or not.

Chris

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Viognier » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:27 pm

^ As that's why they eliminated the policy of 60/60 returns on CW straps....eBay sellers returning when things didn't sell. Source: CW Head of Customer Service S.Callaway at the time
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

MarkingTime
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by MarkingTime » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Viognier wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Forum members are in it for the watch, these ya yas on eBay are purely in it for the profit of the instant flip with NO RISK that they cannot return unsold watches.
...and that's my point, or rather the antithesis. Forum members that are so keen on these watches haven't bought them when the opportunity has arisen, hence the continuing sale. Half price watches with the exception of a few special deals, were available well past the CW heads up weekend, and continue to be so available, as do the 30% NN.

The other thing to consider, is that if there are so many eBay flippers about to return their unsold watches, then the real enthusiasts here on the forum, have to opportunity to buy what they appear to have not had the wherewithal to do so before.

Win, win, I say.

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by what-time-is-it » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Viognier wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:27 pm
^ As that's why they eliminated the policy of 60/60 returns on CW straps....eBay sellers returning when things didn't sell. Source: CW Head of Customer Service S.Callaway at the time
That maybe the case, although I suspect most resellers will be after the watches and not straps.

My post was talking about the return of watches and not straps - I don't recall anyone on here moaning about missing out on a strap to then see it on ebay a week later. I can't see any difference to the returns policy for straps/accessories on the website so wasn't aware that they treat them any different.

Chris

Lawrence
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 7

Post by Lawrence » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 pm

On reflection I think an individual that pays over retail for a watch on ebay is more of an enthusiast than most.
Bulova Accutron Gemini
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C60 Trident Blue Pro 600
C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE
C65 Trident Black
Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon
Tudor Black Bay Heritage Black

04z

Post by 04z » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:22 am

I would wonder whether the period of 60 days is really needed. Is the 60 days not in place to allow buyers to evaluate the watch in person and determine if they wish to keep it since CW is an online business? Perhaps the 60 days could be reduced to 15 to 30 days. Not sure if I would be in the minority, but I could assess rather quickly when receiving a watch whether I’d wish to keep it or decide it isn’t for me. Surely don’t need 60 days. Would seem like for the select few that are returning if they can’t pass on for a profit, are eating into CW profits (even if only a small amount) due to shipping to and from the customer. I don’t know exactly what it costs but the watch I just purchased from NN is getting to the US in 2 days.

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tikkathree » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 am

A1soknownas wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm
Is it known for a fact that the watches on ebay have been bought in the recent sales?
No
Lawrence wrote:
Or are people just presuming?
Yes - When you see watches listed within hours of a sale event with no actual pictures and just stock images, measured presumptions are made.
Lawrence wrote:
Is it known that the ebay buyers are not watch enthusiasts? If you read the feedback left by the buyers for the sellers they are thrilled with their CWL purchases.
No - But they are possibly paying a higher price than they would have paid if they had managed to secure a watch in the sale as they are covering the mark up of the seller.
Lawrence wrote:
Out of 150 CWL listings on ebay today, 50 of them were listed as 'brand new'
So up to a third of those on ebay could be from a sale event. Would someone go to the trouble of selling on a brand new watch when they could return it to CW under the 60/60 policy if no longer wanted - unless they were out to make a profit.
Lawrence wrote:
Is ebay selling really such a problem?
It depends if you miss out on the sale or not, or whether in fact you manage to grab a bargain from an ebay seller who is selling at a reasonable price, or if you discover a model you want which is no longer available. It has both positive and negative impacts.
Lawrence wrote:
(FYI ~ I am not one of the ebay sellers).
Covers my thoughts entirely and concisely on this issue which we cover here at least annually.

Free market forces are what they are and that's that. Just think, you buy five watches on finance at a discounted price, add a mark-up to four of them and recoup the cost of the one you want to keep.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI COSC, C60 MKII Day Date LE, C6 Kingfisher, C60 Kingfisher, C600 Tritech x 3

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tikkathree » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:35 am

0uatiOW wrote:I would be surprised if NN watches turned up as “BNIB” on eBay. I don’t like this kind of profiteering and would prefer these watches ended up in the hands of buyers who really want the item, but it’s a free world, and it can’t easily be stopped.

Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk of buying to flip - the cost of eBay and PayPal fees means it has to sell at least at a 13% premium before you make any profit, and the hassle of a return in the event of a no-sale doesn’t excite me enough.
I shouldn't be surprised by anything on EBay. Julius Caesar's pocketwatch, perfect cosmetic condition, smart watch from the wreck of the Titanic.
Caveat definitely emperor!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI COSC, C60 MKII Day Date LE, C6 Kingfisher, C60 Kingfisher, C600 Tritech x 3