C5 Malvern 595 Winding

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
scottf

C5 Malvern 595 Winding

Post by scottf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Hello! I'm new to these forums and relatively new to CW --I ordered my first CW in November of 2019 (C60 Trident Pro 600 in blue 40mm) and I got the bug..Soon after I ordered a C65 Trident Handwind in black, a C60 Bronze in 38mm and most recently I picked up a C5 Malvern 595 secondhand that left CW in July of 2019--so still relatively new, and in perfect condition.

I'm posting today to inquire about the C5 595 and ask if anyone who owns one or has owned one can confirm an observation I have about winding the watch--mine has a crown that's considerably more taught than my other handwind movements. It wind's up fully (I can feel a distinct brake/resistance once I've gone about 40-45 half turns from stopped) but when compared to the winding action of the crown on my C65 it's just noticeably harder to turn. Is it possibly due in part to the smaller crown? This is also my first experience with the ETA 7001 movement--my other handwind watches have been ETA 2801 and the Sellita 210-1.

I'm not necessarily concerned--I'd just be interested to see if anyone else has the same experience. Thanks in advance for any help/opinions anyone can offer!

-scott

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Re: C5 Malvern 595 Winding

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Hello and welcome!

I’ve handled the 595 a couple of times but never actually wound one, so can’t really comment. I’m sure other people with that experience will be along shortly.

I have, however, owned quite a lot of manual wind watches. One finds that one becomes used to the feel of an individual movement: some can be really silky and easy, and others require a bit more force. The size of the crown might possibly have something to do with it, especially if you have a set of beef sausages for fingers. :D
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

scottf

Post by scottf » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Hello and welcome!

I’ve handled the 595 a couple of times but never actually wound one, so can’t really comment. I’m sure other people with that experience will be along shortly.

I have, however, owned quite a lot of manual wind watches. One finds that one becomes used to the feel of an individual movement: some can be really silky and easy, and others require a bit more force. The size of the crown might possibly have something to do with it, especially if you have a set of beef sausages for fingers. :D

Thanks!

Image I don’t exactly have beef sausages for fingers, but the smaller crown is definitely a factor, I believe. Thanks so much for your quick response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidevil

Post by kidevil » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:40 am

I have received my 595 last week. The crown does feel much stiffer than the other watches I have. And I notice the spring barrel rolls back a little bit every time you wind the crown. I think it is natural to have some resistance in manual winding watches if you know how main spring works, although I have no previous experience of winding one.

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 7
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:51 pm

There was quite a good thread on manual winding recently:

Link here
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238