Newbie CW Trident Pro 600 Owner - Did I Just Mess Up?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
vtknight

Post by vtknight »

Hello everyone,

I normally do quite a bit of research before purchasing anything, and with the CW Trident Pro 600 Heritage - I felt I had done the same.
I understood the dial changes and the movement changes that went along with the MK I-III's - or so I thought.
I ended up purchasing a black dial and bezel January 2017 mint example of an older CW at 12 Pro 600 Heritage thinking that it would not have the Sellita movement. Looking at another example from September 2016, which states it has a Sellita movement - caused me some, perhaps unwarranted - disappointment.

I just purchased the watch - and may be able to get out of the deal. I also need a stainless bracelet for it - which I considered ordering from CW itself as I can't seem to find NOS for the 43mm - so I am not over my head here yet. I want this watch. I just want to know what I am losing if the watch I purchased does have the Sellita movement - beyond the 10-15 seconds a day. Price was 450 GBP. There was another at 400 - but I went with this one as it did not state it was Sellita. Now it looks like - it probably does. Are the late Mark II's just an old CW dial Mark III?

Your experienced feedback is appreciated.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome.

There has been no C60 Trident Pro "Heritage" model, but I think I can still figure out what you are asking. Although the original C60 Trident started production with only the ETA 2824 movement, due to movement availability, the Sellita SW 200 is, and has been frequently used as they are virtually the same.

Arguments can be made as to which one might be better, but the reality is that they are interchangeable with no noticeable difference in performance.

What movement is in any C60 Trident Pro (MkI, II or III)can only be determined by opening the case back as no production records are available to trace by serial number. There are also case style differences between each MK series.

Further information, including original pricing and average resale values, is available on all CW models here in the CWArchives.

Other than personal preferences, for whatever reason, I would not be overly concerned as to whether the model you get has a ETA or Sellita movement.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: Newbie CW Trident Pro 600 Owner - Did I Just Mess Up?

Post by Macdaz »

To echo Kip’s comments I’m sure you won’t notice any difference.

I used to favour ETA, for no logical reason other than what goes on in my own head. I have a number of Sellita movements now and without exception they all outperform the ETA’s in terms of accuracy. The CW one runs at +/- < 2secs per day. So if anything my preference has probably shifted toward Sellita. But I’d be happy with either.

If everything else is to your liking, you’ve made a good decision.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi, I understand the model. Its the Trident Pro 600 Vintage (not Heritage). In fact I think I know the specific whatch you have purchased.
Price was equitable with archive sales and paperwork looks like it was in order.
Regarding the movement, Sellita vs ETA was something I looked at when I made my 1st Auto Trident purchase and I don't think you will be disappointed in any way. It's a very widely used movement known to be generally robust and now not really considered inferior to the ETA. In simple terms they're much of a muchness and both quite reliable and accurate.
Hope you like the watch and wear it in good health, it's a very attractive model.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
vtknight

Post by vtknight »

First - thank-you to everyone who took the time to post and being very cool about this Newbie question.

I was at work and as I have only logged in once - forgot the password lol.

I was confused over the CW models that use the ETA 2893-2 - with the Trident Pro 600 Vintage I have (Heritage was in my mind as I also enjoy the new Tudors).

Overall - I am fine with the Sellita or ETA 2824 - I was just worried about the advertised +/-20 seconds per day.

My biggest issue is the 22mm bracelet for the 43mm watch. I thank each of you again as on this forum I found out the MKII 43mm cannot share the new 42mm MK3 barclets. There are none online that I can find at the moment either. SO I called CW - and left them a message and sent them an email. I have the CW leather strap with white stitching - but no Nato. They don't even have Nato online that aren't orange.

If anyone has a mint version - or preferably new Trident Pro 600 22mm stainless bracelet for a MKII they want to part with - please let me know!

Thank-you all again.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

vtknight wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am
If anyone has a mint version - or preferably new Trident Pro 600 22mm stainless bracelet for a MKII they want to part with - please let me know!

Thank-you all again.
I had the same problem (I had a WTB up for a while with no joy) but finally managed to pick up an NOS on ebay. They do come up and also CW stick them up during the sales when they have them. Patience and eyes peeled - all part of the fun!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

vtknight wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am If anyone has a mint version - or preferably new Trident Pro 600 22mm stainless bracelet for a MKII they want to part with - please let me know!
I don’t - sorry - but as an alternative, I think the vintage C60s look the bees knees on a tropic strap.
87770DFE-475A-4DE1-9E1C-D4A74B29A701.jpeg
B0E31DF9-CD21-4763-B971-FF105624F386.jpeg
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
vtknight

Post by vtknight »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:32 am
vtknight wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am

Thank-you all again.
I had the same problem (I had a WTB up for a while with no joy) but finally managed to pick up an NOS on ebay. They do come up and also CW stick them up during the sales when they have them. Patience and eyes peeled - all part of the fun!
Lol - Thank-you - the Hunt is ON! I have even reached out into the Omega forums where I found a person who has moved two 43mm 22mm bracelets. I shall piece it together one by one. I called CW who simply stated that they had no more to offer and to try back in a few months.
vtknight

Post by vtknight »

biggus_richus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 pm
vtknight wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am If anyone has a mint version - or preferably new Trident Pro 600 22mm stainless bracelet for a MKII they want to part with - please let me know!
I don’t - sorry - but as an alternative, I think the vintage C60s look the bees knees on a tropic strap.

87770DFE-475A-4DE1-9E1C-D4A74B29A701.jpeg
B0E31DF9-CD21-4763-B971-FF105624F386.jpeg
These do look great - they have the rubber on the inside? How are they for smell? Upkeep is to consistently towel them down?
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

vtknight wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22 pm These do look great - they have the rubber on the inside? How are they for smell? Upkeep is to consistently towel them down?
They are solid rubber as seen here: https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-trop ... -zuludiver

They do smell, but not unpleasantly; sort of citrus/vanilla. And they stay clean, no upkeep required.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
vtknight

Post by vtknight »

biggus_richus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm
vtknight wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22 pm These do look great - they have the rubber on the inside? How are they for smell? Upkeep is to consistently towel them down?
They are solid rubber as seen here: https://www.watchgecko.com/vintage-trop ... -zuludiver

They do smell, but not unpleasantly; sort of citrus/vanilla. And they stay clean, no upkeep required.
Thank-you for your feedback - I am happy to report that I have an offer on a brand new MK2 SS bracelet - and if all goes well I will post my watch when it arrives with everything included! Stay tuned and thank-you to everyone on the site for being some positive and helpful!