Newb question winding the watch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Yesyesnono

Newb question winding the watch

Post by Yesyesnono » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Hello all

Just a quick one, it’s advised not to change the date during certain hours ie when the time is between 8pm and 3am however if the watch has stopped how on earth do you know or am I being stupid

Thanks in advance

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Re: Newb question winding the watch

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Not a stupid question at all.

First of all, you need to know whether it is a.m. or p.m. on your watch. The easiest way is to wind it through 12 o’clock. If the date changes you were on p.m.

Here is the standard procedure that most of us use:

1. Adjust the time to 6 o’clock (doesn’t matter whether its a.m or p.m.)

2. If you need to use the quick change date facility, advance the date to YESTERDAY.

3. Finally, wind the hands on to the date change at midnight. Then continue advancing the hands, remembering that if it is 3 o’clock in the afternoon, say, you will need to advance them by 15 hours.

4. If you’ve done all that your watch should be set up correctly.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Yesyesnono

Post by Yesyesnono » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm
Not a stupid question at all.

First of all, you need to know whether it is a.m. or p.m. on your watch. The easiest way is to wind it through 12 o’clock. If the date changes you were on p.m.

Here is the standard procedure that most of us use:

1. Adjust the time to 6 o’clock (doesn’t matter whether its a.m or p.m.)

2. If you need to use the quick change date facility, advance the date to YESTERDAY.

3. Finally, wind the hands on to the date change at midnight. Then continue advancing the hands, remembering that if it is 3 o’clock in the afternoon, say, you will need to advance them by 15 hours.

4. If you’ve done all that your watch should be set up correctly.
Superb thank you so much

Yesyesnono

Post by Yesyesnono » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm

On the same theme how do You know when a Christopher ward is fully wound can you hear it making small clicks

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm

You can hear the small clicks on the C5 that I have but not on my other CW automatic, the C60 GMT. The latter is the watch that tends to go on holidays with me so I wear it all day every day and leave it on the bedside table at night. It stays wound, obviously.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238