Jan sale

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Re: Jan sale

Post by Soporsche »

The 2 straps I purchased (1 long/1 regular) both appear from a quick look in the boxes to be as described.

Edit: the 22mm black vintage oak 'Standard' is in fact an XS. So not perfect!! It will go back unless anyone wants it.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Thunder1 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 pm
Thunder1 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:13 pm "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...."
MichaelCorleone.jpg

A C65 Trident Diver(green dial, manual wind) s/b on it's way to this side of the pond shortly...
Well, picked up my C65 Trident Diver(Khaki) just a short while ago..considering that I ordered it on the 6th, the CW customer service folks did a great job in getting it to me this fast..I wore my Oris Divers 65 BB(green dial) today so I could do some quick comparisons & photos of the two..yes, it looks like CW was aiming at the Oris 65 when they introduced this watch to the market..it was 50% off, so I paid about $396.00 for it on the camel tan strap(which is nice looking, comfortable, & matches the tan colored indices)..at 41mm w/ a narrow bezel, the dial does seems larger than the Oris's dial..and the edges of the SS case are nicely chamfered..IMO, the CW name at the 9 o'clock position does not detract from the dial's appearance..the Sellita manual movement is smooth & easy to wind and does not take long to fully wind..so, coming from a bargains hunter's perspective(I pd. $1,035 for the Oris, pre-owned, & another $275.00 for the bracelet from a dealer) which do I prefer?..for me, the Oris(w/o bracelet) is about $640.00 more expensive..the SS case isn't as nicely shaped and lacks the impressive 'trident' backplate..on the plus side, the gold plated indice surrounds & gold plated hour/minute hand edges, coupled w/ the bronze bezel edge, really enhances the look of the dial under it's domed crystal..the dial is also a darker shade of green that looks richer..and at 39mm, it wears comfortably on my average sized wrist(as does the CW)..so which do I prefer?..honestly, it's another wash..both are nice looking and have excellent pedigrees..while I slightly prefer the look of the Oris, the CW looks very nearly as nice..really, from a bargain hunter's perspective, I think it boils down to whether one would want to spend another $640.00 for the Oris..and I have the blue dial C65 Diver coming in a few days!! :)

**edited to provide some photos of the 2 watches..
CW C65 Trident Diver Khaki & Oris 65 BB Green(1).JPG
CW C65 Trident Diver Khaki & Oris 65 BB Green(2).JPG
CW C65 Trident Diver Khaki & Oris 65 BB Green(3).JPG
So, my 2nd watch from this Jan. Sale made it's way to this side of the pond(and to my door step) today..it is the C65 Trident Automatic Diver, blue dial & bezel, on bracelet..Initial impressions, from a bargain hunter's view, are quite favorable..this pup was on offer for a little over $600 NN(at 30% off)..here's a pic of it..
CW C65 Trident Diver Auto(1).JPG
CW C65 Trident Diver Auto(2).JPG

It's been suggested that I use the C65 auto if I'm attempting to compare a C65 to an Oris 65 Diver..fair enough, I think...here's a pic of the 2 of them, side by side..
CW C65-Oris 65(1).JPG
CW C65-Oris 65(2).JPG
I think CW is on to something special w/ this shade of blue for dials..very distinctive, and I like it..I think Oris has matched this creative offering, though, w/ their 'Honey' colored 65 Diver..unfortunately, Oris only made 250 of these for The Rake..CW has chosen a 'tan' colored lume for the indices(to my eyes), and that is also a pleasing touch..I think the 'cream' colored lume on the Oris 65 provides a similar effect...the CW bracelet deserves special mention, as well..I had it sized at lunch today (2 links removed) and the micro-adjusting clasp was a joy to use..the bracelet fits my wrist perfectly!!(hear that GS?)..it also looks good and it has a quick release!!..Ok, so I've got about $1,305 invested in my previously loved Oris w/ bracelet & a little over $600 for the NN CW..is the Oris worth the additional $705 or so(more then twice as much)?..well, the Oris SS case is 40mm and sports a 20mm lug to lug, tapering bracelet, that also has a micro-adjustment feature...the CW SS case is 41mm wide and sports a 22mm lug to lug bracelet..truthfully, the CW is noticeably heavier to wear, but I would be remiss in not pointing out that CW has nicely sculpted the SS case(see pic #2) & that Oris has not..visually, because of the narrow bezel, the CW appears that much larger, as well..Oris has placed the day of the month indicator at the 6 o'clock position, which helps minimize it's visual effect..the Oris also features a nicely domed crystal, which enhances the look of the dial..and some people may feel that the Oris 'lock down' crown is another plus point, as well as the bronze tinged bezel insert..movement-wise, they both utilize the Sellita SW200, which has proven to be a reliable work horse..the Oris can be had in about 4 dial colors(5 if one can still get their hands on The Rake version), and the CW in just 2(that I know of)..gosh, I'm trying like heck not to make a final judgement, but if one's finances aren't necessarily the limiting criteria, I say go for the Oris, if you prefer it's looks..if finances are upper most for someone(as they are for most of us), then I think the very nicely crafted, very nicely appearing, CW C65 Trident Diver is the way to go..it is one heck of a consolation prize, to be sure!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Nice comparison, Chuck. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. I have the Oris Aquis in green (I know, much different than the Diver 65), and while I love it, it does make me appreciate even more the value for money CW offers when I wear my blue Trident C65 Diver (hand wound). The quick release bracelet is also super impressive, both in terms of function and quality.
Best regards,
John
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

My January sale purchases arrived yesterday. I'm honestly quite impressed. I'd heard a lot of talk about the new packaging, but I was still very impressed with it. From the new distinctive watch box (huge wow factor for the first time buyer), to the really slick, fully recyclable origami cardboard strap box, it is extremely well designed. Perhaps the most impressive part for me (I impress easily) is that CW designed an outer box that not only protects the contents effectively (did anyone ever receive one of the old boxes without a small ding somewhere?), but that they had the forethought to design an outer box that can hold a watch and an extra strap.

Both the C60 Mk 2 bracelet and the C60 Bronze arrived brand new and appear flawless to my eye. I fitted a blue canvas to it while I worked the hybrid to soften it a little. As expected, it fits like a C60. After some work on the strap, it is reasonably comfortable. I'm still not completely sold on the hybrid strap style (the canvas wasn't an option when I ordered), and will probably order a SteveO canvas for it, but it definitely looks good. The colour matched date wheel really finishes the watch nicely.

The C60 bracelet is top quality. The micro adjust is excellent, and will get used in summer in particular. It remains to be seen if the PCL's will get brushed or not.

Any recommendations on where to order a bronze strap buckle?

2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
ondris

Post by ondris »

Lavaine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 am My January sale purchases arrived yesterday. I'm honestly quite impressed. I'd heard a lot of talk about the new packaging, but I was still very impressed with it. From the new distinctive watch box (huge wow factor for the first time buyer), to the really slick, fully recyclable origami cardboard strap box, it is extremely well designed. Perhaps the most impressive part for me (I impress easily) is that CW designed an outer box that not only protects the contents effectively (did anyone ever receive one of the old boxes without a small ding somewhere?), but that they had the forethought to design an outer box that can hold a watch and an extra strap.

Both the C60 Mk 2 bracelet and the C60 Bronze arrived brand new and appear flawless to my eye. I fitted a blue canvas to it while I worked the hybrid to soften it a little. As expected, it fits like a C60. After some work on the strap, it is reasonably comfortable. I'm still not completely sold on the hybrid strap style (the canvas wasn't an option when I ordered), and will probably order a SteveO canvas for it, but it definitely looks good. The colour matched date wheel really finishes the watch nicely.

The C60 bracelet is top quality. The micro adjust is excellent, and will get used in summer in particular. It remains to be seen if the PCL's will get brushed or not.

Any recommendations on where to order a bronze strap buckle?

Hi Lavain,

Nice purchase this C60 Bronze!

Was wondering what kind of strap would you pu on It, as I am myself looking for a leather one as an alternative to the hybrid.

Thank you!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

ondris wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:43 am Hi Lavain,

Nice purchase this C60 Bronze!

Was wondering what kind of strap would you pu on It, as I am myself looking for a leather one as an alternative to the hybrid.

Thank you!
Hi Ondris,

I'm not a fan of leather on dive watches, but for the bronze I would look at a light to medium brown leather. A vintage or distressed leather would look good. The canvas I had on in the photo is a cheapy from Timefactors. It's a little thin for the heavy lugs of the C60, but easily the best 5GBP i've ever spent on a strap. Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore. Right now I'm leaning towards a thick brown canvas with unfinished edges for mine, for a more rugged look.
ondris

Post by ondris »

My opinion is that the leather makes it a little bit less "casual".

I might either buy a watchgecko Horween or maybe one from LongIslandWatch, or even Martù.

I will also try to make one as I have a piece of brown pull-up leather that has this vintage look.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Dispatched email received from CW for my second (final) January Sale order.

It was on pre-order for mid-January and, knock me over with a feather, today is the 15th.

Spot on.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Also received my dispatch email that my pre-order is on its way :)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

ondris wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm My opinion is that the leather makes it a little bit less "casual".

I might either buy a watchgecko Horween or maybe one from LongIslandWatch, or even Martù.

I will also try to make one as I have a piece of brown pull-up leather that has this vintage look.
Agreed. A nice pull-up leather like Chromexel Derby would probably look pretty sharp with the bronze. Maybe something slightly darker like Dublin Nut Brown.

A woven single pass like the Crown and Buckle Chevron or Cheapestnatostraps Single Pass Adjustable would also look sharp (although no bronze hardware). If you have deep pockets you could buy a Tudor Black Bay Bronze single pass strap and get the bronze hardware too.

*Edit* Martu has some nice straps. I think the Distressed Cracked Brown leather would look pretty sharp:
https://www.martuleather.com/store/p185 ... 11-d8.html

I'm undecided on whether or not the Waxed Green Denim would work or not:
https://www.martuleather.com/store/p104 ... 1-dn4.html
michaelro1
Senior
Senior

Post by michaelro1 »

Soporsche wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 am
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:33 pm
michaelro1 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 pm
Hard to tell, from your photo, whether it is black or dark blue but there seems to be some texture to it so, from my recollection of the watches / straps offered, I'm thinking it is the blue canvass webbing strap. This, as described, is designed to wear for a vintage look.

Guy
I agree its probably designed to age for a vintage look but there appears to be odd little patches of fade and (depending if you have worn it yet) indents around the mid strap holes, which looks from pic like its previously worn! I am looking at pic zoomed in on a phone so apologies if im incorrect.
If this is a new (not NN) watch I agree with Guy, get onto CW CS asap and im sure they will try and resolve for you. Actually scrap that, even if its NN then still speak with them.
Its this one https://www.christopherward.co.uk/s07-42qch1-s0kk0-wt

Doesn't say anything about aging and its definitely faded in places and the holes look worn around that area

Emailed CW CS on Monday night, still no response

Michael.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Appreciate your comments Michael.

Looking at the details of the strap in the link you posted, it is described as "Premium quality canvas webbing strap with Christopher".

Whilst not the 'Vintage' strap I was thinking of nevertheless, being canvas, you should expect some wear / ageing over time.

However, relooking at your photo and from your description, it sounds that you have not got a new strap; hopefully CW will replace this for you.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ataripower
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by ataripower »

Just got my C60 Trident COSC 600 LE. I know they are old now but this was some seriously good value from the recent sale. Awesome piece

Image20200116_144754 by ataripower, on Flickr
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Clearance back up, but only one Trident left. All others gone

Update: ALL Tridents now gone
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

ataripower wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm Just got my C60 Trident COSC 600 LE. I know they are old now but this was some seriously good value from the recent sale. Awesome piece

Image20200116_144754 by ataripower, on Flickr
I think you might have got the very last one. Congratulations. I've had mine for a while now and it still runs great. Yours looks good on the NATO.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris