C60 Bronze Power Reserve Query

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Danbailey007
Expert
Expert

C60 Bronze Power Reserve Query

Post by Danbailey007 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi guys

Hoping some of you will be able to give me some guidance/assistance. Had my C60 trident bronze for about a year now and perfectly happy with it. Wasn't until I recently got my C60 Abyss that I've noticed the power reserve on the Abyss is much better than the bronze.

I've worn both for the same activities (mainly on at 7am for drive to work, office all day, drive home then take off around 9pm) the bronze rarely lasts into the next day where the abyss just keeps on ticking.

I have no tools or gadgets so is there an easy way for me to check the bronze is working as it should? Can I fully wind it and see how long it lasts?

Thanks in advance for any responses :thumbup:
Dan

CW C65 TVB, C60 Trident Bronze, C60 Abyss | Citizen Eco-Drive | multiple Fossil | Elliot Brown Canford (Mountain Rescue SE)

Clach77
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: C60 Bronze Power Reserve Query

Post by Clach77 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Right, I went to work two hours before I got home, spent all day eating gravel..... And you tell young people that today and they won’t believe you.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :D The best way to test the power reserve is fully wind and see how long it runs when not worn. Then you can check it against specification.
Trying not to buy any more watches...

... and selling a Scooter FLE and C65LE.

Danbailey007
Expert
Expert

Post by Danbailey007 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:34 pm

No edited the times! How do I know if it's fully wound?
Dan

CW C65 TVB, C60 Trident Bronze, C60 Abyss | Citizen Eco-Drive | multiple Fossil | Elliot Brown Canford (Mountain Rescue SE)

Clach77
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Now you’ve made my reply look silly. :lol:

You won’t really know as there’s a clutch to prevent it being over-wound. 60ish turns should be enough I’d think. Someone else may know for sure.
Trying not to buy any more watches...

... and selling a Scooter FLE and C65LE.

0uatiOW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by 0uatiOW » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Unless you spend all day asleep, a full day’s wear should fully wind.

Anyway - hand wind 50 turns. It shouldn’t be possible to overwind modern automatics. Then set it down and see how long it runs.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

Danbailey007
Expert
Expert

Post by Danbailey007 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Clach77 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:04 pm
Now you’ve made my reply look silly. :lol:
Haha sorry! Thanks for the tips guys, will give it a go tomorrow and see what happens.
Dan

tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by tikkathree » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:26 pm

Don't skimp on hand-winding. It's easy to assume - wrongly - how much charge you can put in with a "day at the desk".

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I've had a go with most CW models in the true spirit of online buying - get it, try it, keep it or flip it!! Sometimes I slow down and I wonder if I'm approaching "watch retirement"; but no....

Whineboy

Post by Whineboy » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:34 pm

I don't see this as a PR question so much as a winding efficiency question. I'd suggest OP let each watch stop and then set them to the same time and put both on (Schwarzkopf it!) for one or two hour's of reasonable activity. Then take both off, set them down, and see how long they run. That'll give you an idea if one winds itself better than the other.

I have an ETA 2836-powered watch that gets 8 hours of wind from an hour of wear, another that is Soprod A10 powered only gets 2-3 hours of PR. So, there's quite a variance possible.

This still doesn't answer the question of whether the watch winds itself to its full PR. My Soprod A!0 doesn't (probably time for a service). It does not wind efficiently.