Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Advice on my second C.W. purchase

Post by CW257 »

Hi all

I’m currently eyeing up my second C.W. purchase, as a gift to myself ahead of my wedding next month.
I bought a C3 Malvern Chronograph MKII back in 2012 and it’s served me very well, so I’ve kept a close eye on C.W. designs ever since.

My budget is a little tight as you can imagine and I also favour the 38mm designs due to having fairly slim wrists, which limits my options slightly, but I do really like the look of the C3 Grand Tourer (blue face) and possibly the C60 Trident 300 (although the 38mm version doesn’t appear to be listed currently).

I’m hoping you can help me with the following, given your experiences:

1) Is there likely to be a Black Friday discount this year? I vaguely remember receiving discount offers in previous years via email
2) If I wait until Black Friday to order, what are the chances of it arriving before my wedding day on 14 December?
3) Your general opinions on the models I’ve mentioned above

Thanks!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Re: Advice on my second C.W. purchase

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

There were strong hints at the Bristol GTG that CW are looking to phase out production of quartz watches. Therefore, if the 300 is not available in 38 mm at the moment, I would not expect it to reappear.

However, it would be worth enquiring whether they have any left in stock.

As to discounts and vouchers, there is currently a voucher available for the run-up to Christmas. However, as it is worth £100 on purchases over £500, that probably wouldn’t apply to the 300 or the Grand Tourer.

I know this is probably over the budget that you are looking at, but the C65 Trident Divers don’t wear especially large, and the Black Gold is absolutely stunning.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

If you like the motorsport look, there is a nearly new C7 Quartz in the clearance section for £276. I have the mechanical version and although they were not popular, I really like it. It may not be dressy enough for a wedding but if you put it on a black strap that would smarten it up.

If you can stretch to it I'd definitely recommend the C65 Trident Auto £595 with the voucher. That's only £135 more than the C60 300 on a bracelet. I know that is still a chunk of cash but you are getting so much more for your money.

I'd say the Grand Tourer is fairly similar in style to your Malvern, which is perfectly suited to wearing at a wedding -BTW. I have one which only ever gets worn with a DJ and black tie as it is the closest I have to a dress watch.

As for shipping times, if there is a sale it tends to slow shipping down due to the increased demand so whatever you decide on I'd probably give them a call to order and explain your deadline. I'm sure they will be able to help.

Happy hunting :D
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

Post by Mike2795647 »

I love the look of the C3 blue face tourer, if they did this in automatic I would snap one up in a heartbeat.

If you like this one then go for it and hope wedding goes well
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

As this is for your wedding it will have significant sentimental value. I would encourage you to get the watch that you are most smitten with for that day! ( within your budget respectfully).

I too would suggest contacting CW’s Manager of Customer Services and see if they do have a C60 300 in a 38mm on hand.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Thank you all for your comments - they’re tremendously useful.

In response to some of the them, yes the black/gold C65 looks absolutely phenomenal and were money no object it would be high on my list, but sadly £500 is about as far as I can stretch right now.

I am leaning more towards the Grand Tourer because I love the face, but as someone has rightly said it is fairly similar to the Malvern I already own (albeit that is black, rather than blue).

However, I have always thought that at some point I will own a Trident, as it’s the iconic design by my favourite (affordable) brand, so that may need some further investigating. Appreciate the advice regarding emailing to see if the C60 300s are still in stock at the smaller size, and also exploring the oh-so-tempting C65 Auto with the blue face . . .

Very interesting also re: the possible phasing out of their quartz models. If that happens, how do you see it impacting the affordability of C.W. watches in the future?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

CW257 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:12 pm
Very interesting also re: the possible phasing out of their quartz models. If that happens, how do you see it impacting the affordability of C.W. watches in the future?
I think we all expect CWs to become more expensive, while remaining great VFM as that is inevitable for a business aspiring to be a serious luxury brand. Most watch enthusiasts regard quartz as utility/disposable so again it is no surprise that CW are phasing them out to concentrate on mechanicals: at the high level using their own SH21 movement, at the "affordable" level Sellita etc. All IMHO of course.

Good luck with your choice!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think Mike’s words were approximately that they are viewing mechanical movements as the way forward for CW.

I imagine it will inevitably spell the end of the sub £500 watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

CW257 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 pm
I’m hoping you can help me with the following, given your experiences:

1) Is there likely to be a Black Friday discount this year? I vaguely remember receiving discount offers in previous years via email
2) If I wait until Black Friday to order, what are the chances of it arriving before my wedding day on 14 December?
3) Your general opinions on the models I’ve mentioned above

Thanks!
Last year I believe it was 15% off all models for Black Friday so possibly worth waiting to see if that is the case.

You can pay £10 for next day delivery which should mean your watch is with you well before your wedding day.

Good luck for finding your watch but more so for the big day!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Many thanks all. I shall update you once a purchase has been made!
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Also keep an eye on the clearance section over the coming days. They add them on a seemingly random basis and there are almost always C60's and C65's of some form or another in there for a few quid over your £500 ceiling. But you need to be quick...Good luck!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Personally,I think you could do a lot worse than look for a clean and tidy used C60/C61 38mm Automatic.

For example, a tidy blue Mk2 C60 just sold on eBay for £360. That's a good ballpark price right there.

Expect to pay £300-£400 for tidy C60s, if you're lucky/patient, under £300.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

There’s a NN blue c65 trident diver on a bracelet for £556 in the clearance section. You’ll need to be quick!
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Macdaz wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:08 pm There’s a NN blue c65 trident diver on a bracelet for £556 in the clearance section. You’ll need to be quick!
Thanks - I did have a look and was very tempted, but 38mm is really the sweet spot for me so I’m holding out for something in that size.

Two questions regarding the NN section - are they usually distinguishable from brand new in any way, or is it literally impossible to tell? And secondly, how often on average do watches appear in that section of the site? I’ve only been active on here since last week and already I must have seen more than half a dozen pieces come and go. Is that normal?
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

I've never bought from the NN section so I'm sure someone will chime in who has, but my understanding is that you won't really spot much difference from new. I'd guess nothing more serious than you would get from a few days wear anyway.

What you've observed is fairly normal, there is no rhyme or reason to the clearance section. Sometimes it disappears for a while, but when it's there I'd check a couple of times a day. if anything good appears there it'll go quick. Today started with nothing, then the C65 turned up, then there were around six various watches in there including a Mkiii Trident, and now there is just a lonely 38mm Bronze Trident.

In short, if you get a spare minute look and if you see something you want, buy it. Immediately! It's not unusual for the watch to disappear whilst you are checking out. That's happened to me at least twice.

As I said before....Happy Hunting!