New Quartz Trident?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Post Reply
Stone Hall
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 am

New Quartz Trident?

Post by Stone Hall » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:16 pm

I really love what CW did with the Mk 3 Trident, but I’ve noticed the quartz Tridents are still un-updated. I also noticed they’re out of stock for the 38mm quartz Tridents...or list them but you can’t buy them?

Any rumors on a possible new version of the quartz Trident?
For all evils there are two remedies - time and silence.

The Count of Monte Cristo

albionphoto
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 991
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by albionphoto » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm

At the Bristol GTG Mike France stated that the quartz movements were being phased out because CW feel that the future is mechanical watches. They don't see much demand for quartz movements. On this basis, I don't see that there is much chance of a quartz Mk 3 Trident.
Mark
Muehle Glashutte, Omega, Oris and Christopher Ward.

Commisar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 24, 2019 3:24 am

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by Commisar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm

albionphoto wrote:At the Bristol GTG Mike France stated that the quartz movements were being phased out because CW feel that the future is mechanical watches. They don't see much demand for quartz movements. On this basis, I don't see that there is much chance of a quartz Mk 3 Trident.
Probably for the better. Quartz divers, chronos, and dress watches are dime a dozen and come from almost every watchmaker that isn't at or above Rolex levels of prestige.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk


User avatar
PaulJS
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 am
CW-watches: 6
Location: North Devon

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by PaulJS » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:10 pm

Mixed feelings over the demise of CW quartz. On the one hand they have, IMO, been getting disproportionately expensive compared to the automatic option - especially the Trident. On the other hand CW have produced some great entry level quartz models (C7 and C4 for example) and some lovely COSC models (C70).

I think there are few people who don't value the convenience of a quartz in their collection and don't necessarily want it to feel cheap,

It seems sensible to delete the quartz options where they go head to head with an auto version but it is a shame if there is no room for quartz specific models in the range.

I believe it is folly to presume that the average punter views quartz as a poor relation - on the contrary, for a lot of people who just want an accurate timepiece that they won't necessarily wear every day and isn't a phone, a manual wind or even an auto is an inconvenience.

Then again maybe trying to compete with Seiko in the quality / vfm stakes is a futile endeavour.

Cheers,

Paul
Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

monkeymax
Senior
Senior
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: South Coast, UK

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by monkeymax » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm

All good points Paul, and I tend to agree. More than that, though, surely the quartz models were great lower priced entry points into the world of CW. I know that was the case for me - though I've only got quartz ones at the moment (as you say, the convenience for a watch I relied on for work outweighed the emotion of the automatic) they were my first CW watches and there's no way I'd have tried them out at £600+. In fact my quartz C6 was one of my first 'expensive' watches and it was in the couple of hundred pound range (if not less) and it's one of my favourite watches. I'd absolutely love an automatic CW again but can't ignore the fact that if it wasn't for my cheaper quartz I'm not sure when I would've been turned on to the idea of nice watches in the first place!

User avatar
PaulJS
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 720
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 am
CW-watches: 6
Location: North Devon

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by PaulJS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

monkeymax wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm
All good points Paul, and I tend to agree. More than that, though, surely the quartz models were great lower priced entry points into the world of CW. I know that was the case for me - though I've only got quartz ones at the moment (as you say, the convenience for a watch I relied on for work outweighed the emotion of the automatic) they were my first CW watches and there's no way I'd have tried them out at £600+. In fact my quartz C6 was one of my first 'expensive' watches and it was in the couple of hundred pound range (if not less) and it's one of my favourite watches. I'd absolutely love an automatic CW again but can't ignore the fact that if it wasn't for my cheaper quartz I'm not sure when I would've been turned on to the idea of nice watches in the first place!
Well put - while my first CW was an auto Trident it was the subsequent purchases of the C7, C4 and C70 that really accelerated me into eventually owning 8 CW watches.

With a change of lifestyle I now find that my most worn watch is my Scurfa Diver One and I am seriously considering letting all my non quartz go to new homes (except the Omegas) as I can't be bothered to phaff around setting the time and date just to have a change of scene. Ironically, my second most worn is my hand wind Speedmaster as, with no date, it is the quickest to set the time and give it a wind.

I can't see my CW quartz going anywhere, even though I should really sell the C70 since it is so vulnerable to damage that it rarely makes it out of the house. However, it is such a glorious thing to own and just look at I know I would regret parting with it! No logic to that, I know, but whoever said watch collecting is logical?!


Cheers,

Paul
Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

User avatar
downer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22918
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 pm
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: Yes
Location: UK

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by downer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am

I think the real endangered species may be the genuine "swiss-made" quartz at a keen price point.

The "swiss-made" rules have recently been tightened (in Jan 2017 with a two year implementation period), meaning that it is now 60% of the watch manufactured cost, rather than 50%.

As we all know, quartz movements are a relatively inexpensive component cost, and I imagine the other components and assembly costs make it tough to make a "swiss-made" watch at a competitive price.
Richard

monkeymax
Senior
Senior
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: South Coast, UK

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by monkeymax » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:55 am

downer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am
I think the real endangered species may be the genuine "swiss-made" quartz at a keen price point.
My quartz C6 says Swiss Movt on the bottom and I've never felt hard done by. This probably isn't a massive deal-breaker. Interesting about those rule changes though; I didn't know about that.
Ultimately CW have the sales numbers and I guess they're just seeing that the quartz models don't sell anymore... :(

User avatar
downer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22918
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:02 pm
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: Yes
Location: UK

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by downer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:03 am

monkeymax wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:55 am
downer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am
I think the real endangered species may be the genuine "swiss-made" quartz at a keen price point.
My quartz C6 says Swiss Movt on the bottom and I've never felt hard done by. This probably isn't a massive deal-breaker. Interesting about those rule changes though; I didn't know about that.
Ultimately CW have the sales numbers and I guess they're just seeing that the quartz models don't sell anymore... :(
Yeah, I guess I was pondering whether all brands will struggle with the combination of "swiss-made", "affordable" and "quartz" in the same sentence...

CW have firmly hitched their wagon to the "swiss made" ethos, so I guess quartz will slowly disappear for them - simply because the pricing doesn't stack up.

As for the early "Swiss Mvmt" CW's, I've had a few myself and they were all good.
Richard

User avatar
Devarika Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:53 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: Providence, RI
Contact:

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by Devarika Woulf » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:46 am

4 of my CWs are quartz. I love 'em, but I greatly prefer automatics so the discontinuation is not bad news to me. :yes:
^_^ -Joseph

User avatar
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
Posts: 30068
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:45 pm
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by Kip » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 pm

downer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am
I think the real endangered species may be the genuine "swiss-made" quartz at a keen price point.

The "swiss-made" rules have recently been tightened (in Jan 2017 with a two year implementation period), meaning that it is now 60% of the watch manufactured cost, rather than 50%.

As we all know, quartz movements are a relatively inexpensive component cost, and I imagine the other components and assembly costs make it tough to make a "swiss-made" watch at a competitive price.
This is the real issue relative to CW quartz watches. A decision of whether the "Swiss Made" vs. "Swiss Mov't" against potential sales is decision that must be looked at from a corporate standpoint. CW has been an all "Swiss Made" company since August 2008. Stepping back to some models being "Swiss Mov't" regardless of the movements that might be selected, I am sure, has/is being evaluated.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"


Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 am
CW-watches: 1

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by what-time-is-it » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Whether it's related to the Swiss Made rules, or just the Marketing bods making changes on the website, but on the CW home page under the main slideshow you'll note that we have 'Hand built in Switzerland', which appeared a few months ago.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris

iamwbs
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by iamwbs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 pm

I only have one CW quartz and it's the only one I'm likely to buy. It's the C7 Rapide COSC Chronograph in blue. I prefer mechanical/automatic TBH and the loss of quartz movements won't be such a great loss to me. I only want my C7 because it's a 10spy :D

CW257
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 pm
CW-watches: 3

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by CW257 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:05 am

monkeymax wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:41 pm
All good points Paul, and I tend to agree. More than that, though, surely the quartz models were great lower priced entry points into the world of CW. I know that was the case for me - though I've only got quartz ones at the moment (as you say, the convenience for a watch I relied on for work outweighed the emotion of the automatic) they were my first CW watches and there's no way I'd have tried them out at £600+. In fact my quartz C6 was one of my first 'expensive' watches and it was in the couple of hundred pound range (if not less) and it's one of my favourite watches. I'd absolutely love an automatic CW again but can't ignore the fact that if it wasn't for my cheaper quartz I'm not sure when I would've been turned on to the idea of nice watches in the first place!
This summarises my feelings too. My quartz Malvern Chronograph was a gateway into CW watches back in 2012 and, at £350ish, it's still regularly on my wrist to this day. I recently picked up a NN Trident for £550 which I certainly wouldn't have done were it not for a prior positive experience with the brand.

However, I will admit that I also recently purchased a quartz Grand Tourer which looks absolutely gorgeous, but when held next to the Trident does feel considerably lightweight and cheaper. I understand why people favour autos, but I wonder if/how the brand will change if/when the entry point for owning one becomes c.£700.

User avatar
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 am
CW-watches: 3
Location: Bayern

Re: New Quartz Trident?

Post by H0rati0 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am

For me, I see quartz as utilitarian, mechanicals collectible. With very few exceptions, who would trade/buy a SH quartz?

So while I own a few quartz watches (non CW) for me they are just there for specific uses revolving around situations where I wouldn't dream of risking a precious mechanical.

Given CW's strategy and target market why put effort into quartz models? A low entry price is all very well, but is one really getting a "CW" then?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Post Reply