C60 Trident 3 GMT Movement

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Nick2611

C60 Trident 3 GMT Movement

Post by Nick2611 »

Quick question, the write up for the c60 mk3 trident 600 GMT calls out an ETA 2893-2 movement, yet the technical details page mentions a Sellita SW330... does anyone know which is correct, and is one better than the other? Thanks, Nick.
Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Re: C60 Trident 3 GMT Movement

Post by Viognier »

CW may be using both. They are extremely similar movements so IMO it would not matter.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Porky12

Post by Porky12 »

The owners handbook does not mention the ETA Movement, it states the Sellita, even when the website still claims its an ETA, I did point this out to CW a few months ago but they have not altered it, a minor thing for most, but I think it's quite poor that they cannot get this right.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

This is nothing new...
I remember a few years back that certain models came with either a Sellita or ETA movement but you never knew which movement was in your watch unless you took the back off (which, no doubt, would void your warranty).
It could quite possibly be what movements were available at the time of manufacturing a series of a watch, i.e., for example, 100 Sellita movements and 100 ETA movements.
Very strange I must admit but they are both very good movements (on a par with each other).
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

ETA movements and their respective Sellita equivalents are virtually identical in function, but as I understand it the supply of ETAs is falling and they are becoming more expensive, and this trend has been happening for a while. While having one or the other doesn’t bother me, I’d be very surprised if CW was still using ETA movements, unless they had of course stockpiled them when they were more readily available. If CW watches are indeed now all Sellita, it is time to update the website in the interests of transparency.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by DaytonaRik »

IIRC Wasn't the Swatch group going to restrict supply of ETA movement to it's own brands, with other companies moving over to Sellita? Of course, as Sellita had previously produced ETA movements user licence to meet ETA demand - meaning that an ETA branded movement could well have been produced by Sellita - there is really is nothing to be worried about in terms of quality or functionality. Transparency is, of course, another matter entirely but I don't believe that CW are trying to hide anything as the C65 GMT review from A Blog to Watch in March 2019 clearly states that it's a Sellita movement - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/christophe ... gmt-watch/
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson