COSC Regulation of a Movement?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

COSC Regulation of a Movement?

Post by Jcalder68 »

This is a hypothetical question, but might become reality.

I’d like to add a COSC certified (dive) watch to my collection. Accuracy is always important to me and I quite like the idea of the little certificate too. The issue is size of watch; ideally I’d like it to be the smaller case size that CW do, and in a perfect world it would be my 38mm Vintage C60 Trident 600.

Now, CW will be launching their new military range with COSC movements, and I understand these to be fettled (and certificated) versions of their Sellita movements, the same as the basic one in my C60. From this I am assuming that getting a basic SW movement to COSC specification is possible.

So, my options?

Option 1 would be to politely ask CW if they could replace the basic movement in my C60 with a COSC one. I asked them that very question earlier today, but the best they could offer was a regulation of the existing movement (estimated to be to +/-10sec a day) but they would not entertain the idea of a movement swap or replacement.

Option 2 could be to send my watch off to an independent workshop to get it fettled and certified. I have no idea of who might be able to do a one-off like this, or the costs involved. Any suggestions?

Option 3 could be to buy myself a certificated movement and then ask either CW or my local watch repairer to install it for me. Again, I have no idea of where such a movement can be bought, or if it is even possible to buy such a thing? Again, any suggestions?

Many thanks,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: COSC Regulation of a Movement?

Post by Markornot »

You might want to have it professionally "timed"...you may find it falls within COSC specs as it stands. Some do. Unless the certificate itself is important to you, over a period of time, any certified movement may fall out of spec anyway.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Where I am on the USA, North Texas, a few local watch repair places can get things to within COSC specs are very close for about $140 USD and 2-3 weeks of time. However, they won't be officially certified.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

CW will not install a third party movement but it could be possible to get a watchmaker to get the basic movement to approaching COSC tolerances albeit without the certificate but which would obviously invalidate any CW warranty....!!!
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Jcalder68 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:08 pm .
Option 2 could be to send my watch off to an independent workshop to get it fettled and certified. I have no idea of who might be able to do a one-off like this, or the costs involved. Any suggestions?

Option 3 could be to buy myself a certificated movement and then ask either CW or my local watch repairer to install it for me. Again, I have no idea of where such a movement can be bought, or if it is even possible to buy such a thing? Again, any suggestions?

Many thanks,

C
Option 2 is not realistic on the basis that, should you be able to find an Independent Watchmaker to 'get it fettled', it will then be cost prohibitive to have the watch sent off to Switzerland to get a COSC certificate.

In the past, I bought a COSC rated watch from CW at a Nearly New price for the singular reason that the COSC Certificate had gone missing (and it was not cost effective to get a replacement).

This maybe a heretical and sacrilegious suggestion but, if as it would appear on first glance, CW do not (currently) have a watch that meets your desires; have you considered buying an alternative brand watch?

Guy

PS > I know its a whisker bigger than your ideal but what's wrong with the C65 Dartmouth?
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Jcalder68 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:08 pm Option 1 would be to politely ask CW if they could replace the basic movement in my C60 with a COSC one. I asked them that very question earlier today, but the best they could offer was a regulation of the existing movement (estimated to be to +/-10sec a day) but they would not entertain the idea of a movement swap or replacement.

On Sellita and ETA movements, "COSC" spec doesn't just mean that the timekeeping is more accurate. Their COSC movements are also always their "Top" grade movements, i.e. with better components. So you are paying for both better accuracy and better components, compared to a basic movement.

So, for Option 1, even if CW were to entertain a movement swap, you would need to pay a premium for the better quality movement.

Option 2 - you should be able to get any standard Sellita or ETA movement regulated to within COSC specs. An independent watchmaker could do that, no problem. But they can't provide a COSC certitificate. Only the COSC organisation in Switzerland can do that. And the movement would need to be removed from the watch to do so - as they only test movements not watches.

Option 3 - you could do this with an independent watchmaker, but CW wouldn't entertain it and you'd clearly invalidate your warranty.

My question is: why do you want to do this? If it's for greater accuracy then get an independent watchmaker to simply regulate your watch - it's the cheapest option and you keep your warranty intact. If it's for a better quality movement, then I think you really need to buy a watch with a COSC-certified movement in the first place.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Thanks for the detailed and informative responses, everyone.

Ok, so my reasons for doing this? Just “because” and “can I” really. I greatly respect the time, skill and effort getting a movement regulated to COSC and I would love the feeling in the back of my mind that the item I have on my wrist has had that craftsmanship applied to it. It’s not just ticking a box in my horological journey, but I know I would get an extra buzz out of knowing that my “regular” C60 is potentially more accurate than any other one out there. I like something unique and different :-)

So, Option 2 is not really a possibility. That was my thinking too.

Option 1 will set me back a staggering £30 for CW to regulate it, so might be the best value for money.

I might find a happy medium (not Russel Grant) and try to source myself a TopGrade Sellita movement and then tap my friendly watchmaker on the shoulder to fit and regulate it.

Thanks again,

C

PS, The Dartmouth is a cracker, but I’d just prefer the matte ceramic bezel and overall size of my C60.
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.