Staring into the C60 Abyss

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Re: Staring into the C60 Abyss

Post by DaytonaRik »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 pm Daytona, thanks for the extra picture. Is the bezel edge gloss. Looks reflective in the picture...
It certainly seems to be the case. I'll break out the macro lens over the next couple of days for a more detailed photo session
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson
lhlopez1

Post by lhlopez1 »

Just found this forum and wanted to let everyone know I did an unboxing video on YouTube for this watch.

I will make a more detailed video once I've experienced the watch a bit longer.
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added in 'YouTube' HTML codes
DaytonaRik
Senior
Senior

Post by DaytonaRik »

Have any Abyss owners managed to get any lume output? Mine remains steadfastly unwilling to display the slightest hint of luminosity - I'm intrigued that lhlopez1 seems to get some sort of luminescence in the unboxing YouTube video above 🤔
I just think it's cool to have an obsolete technology on my wrist that actually works. - rfortson
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

It looks great in the video, case is really beautifully finished, well done and enjoy
Cheers
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
lhlopez1

Post by lhlopez1 »

The luminescence isn't too strong as it uses black Super-LumiNova to go with the stealth look. It takes a good amount of light to activate the lume.
Jay_M

Post by Jay_M »

First up soz for the wall of text but i really need some help see I'm thinking of buying the abyss but I'd prefer it on a bracelet I spoke to CW and they don't do 1 that fits, well I don't think they do the email I got wasn't much help tbh. Anyways i did some digging and came across watch gecko (will refer to as WG) I emailed them and they were really helpful and suggested this to me https://www.watchgecko.com/milanese-mesh-watch-strap

I really like the black one but I'm confused because in the email from WG they say the lug width of the abyss is 22mm and that this bracelet will work with it (notice they said work they didn't say anything about it fitting) but on the CW website it says lug to lug is 39.6mm is lug to lug not the same measurement as lug width are they 2 completely different things? googling it told me there both the distance between the lugs but it can't be because there's a huge difference between the 2 measurements and I think it's unlikely WG have mistook the strap width for the lug width. Finally can anyone who owns this watch tell me what size the spring bars are because that strap fits bars that are 1.8mm. CW don't mention anything about the bars in the specs :/

As you can probably guess I'm new to all this cheers, also did anyone else notice they removed the picture showing the lume on this watch? it showed it glowed blue and it looked really cool
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Lug width is the distance between the holes in the lugs. 22mm. You will need a 22mm width strap & spring bars.

Lug-to-lug is the total length of the watch head (line through 12 & 6 including lugs). 49.3 mm.

See watch stats on CW Archive

Welcome to the forum. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jay_M

Post by Jay_M »

Ah it won't fit then :( cheers for the help
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Jay_M wrote:Ah it won't fit then :( cheers for the help
Yes it will. You said it was a 22mm strap width, which is the lug width measurement. Lug to lug is the overall length of the watch from the tip of the lugs at 12 o’clock to the tip of the lugs at 6 o’clock.

The bracelet you are undoubtedly looking at will have straight ends - unlike the OEM bracelet which has curved, fitted ends to seamlessly fill the gap between the lugs. A straight bracelet will leave a small air gap where the case curves between the lugs, just as a normal leather or rubber strap will. CW have just that look with the mesh bracelets on many models.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Jay_M

Post by Jay_M »

gaf1958 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:20 am
Jay_M wrote:Ah it won't fit then :( cheers for the help
Yes it will. You said it was a 22mm strap width, which is the lug width measurement. Lug to lug is the overall length of the watch from the tip of the lugs at 12 o’clock to the tip of the lugs at 6 o’clock.

The bracelet you are undoubtedly looking at will have straight ends - unlike the OEM bracelet which has curved, fitted ends to seamlessly fill the gap between the lugs. A straight bracelet will leave a small air gap where the case curves between the lugs, just as a normal leather or rubber strap will. CW have just that look with the mesh bracelets on many models.
It does have straight ends yeah but they sell curved ends as well though but the gaps nowt I can live with that. I took what Amor said "You will need a 22mm width strap & spring bars" to mean I needed both a 22mm strap and 22mm spring bars I've found loads of bracelets but any that didn't mention the spring bar size I just assumed were probably no good. So just so I can be sure I fully understand this, am I right in thinking this would fit? for the price it's worth a buy anyways but just wanna be sure I understand before forking out for something pricier https://www.watchgecko.com/super-engine ... rfly-clasp
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

You will need the spring bars whichever strap you use. They attach the strap to the watch by fitting into the holes on the lugs. They will need to be 22 mm. It is worth asking the supplier of the strap or bracelet if they also supply spring bars with it. If you need it fitted and don’t have the tools any local jeweller can do it very quickly.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

1.8mm strap bars are a pretty common size (I think it's what most dive watches use). You can also get the standard size spring bars (22mm) from WatchGecko as they link to those on the bracelet page:
https://www.watchgecko.com/spring-bar-pins
(you can normally get 6 for £3 in a few places elsewhere but postage ramps that up, so this isn't such a bad price)

A 22mm bar that is 1.6 or 1.8mm thick should fit this watch without problem. The tip diameter is the bit that goes into the holes in the watch lugs, but 0.8mm shouldn't be an issue. Given you can always return the strap if it came to it, it probably doesn't hurt to try. I've purchased several straps from WG and been happy with them all.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Staring into the C60 Abyss

Post by gaf1958 »

Jay_M wrote:I took what Amor said "You will need a 22mm width strap & spring bars" to mean I needed both a 22mm strap and 22mm spring bars I've found loads of bracelets but any that didn't mention the spring bar size I just assumed were probably no good. So just so I can be sure I fully understand this, am I right in thinking this would fit?
I usually just re-use the spring bars that are currently on the watch in the new strap or bracelet. The watch currently uses a 22mm strap/bracelet, so it has a set of 22mm spring bars already fitted. These can be used in the new bracelet, although if I remember correctly, WatchGecko usually supply a suitable pair of spring bars with their straps/bracelets anyway, so you’ll possibly have a spare pair.

For that price, just do it. :) Pay a watchmaker a couple of quid to change it over for you and you’re done...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Jay_M

Post by Jay_M »

Cheers for the help everyone im putting in an order in at WG today probably grab a couple NATO straps azwell 😊 now I just need the watch.

promo code = NATOFANS
Mike2795647
Senior
Senior

Post by Mike2795647 »

Cheers for the above code