FLE #8 Design Vote

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Please vote for any, and only, those that you would buy.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

OPTION 1: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 2: Green gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 3: Grey gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
2%
OPTION 4: Red gradient dial & red bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 5: Green gradient dial & green bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 6: Grey gradient dial & grey bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 7: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 8: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands - but white seconds hand
3%
OPTION 9: Red gradient dial, red bezel insert
5%
OPTION 10: Green gradient dial, green bezel insert
4%
OPTION 11: Grey gradient dial, grey bezel insert
2%
OPTION 12: Green dial, green bezel
2%
OPTION 13: Blue bezel, blue gradient dial
4%
OPTION 14: Charcoal bezel, charcoal dial, black seconds hand
2%
OPTION 15: Cream dial, black bezel insert, bronze markers, bronze hands - but black & red seconds hand
2%
OPTION 16: Cream dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands - but black & red seconds hand
2%
OPTION 17: Black Ombre dial, black bezel
3%
OPTION 18: Black Ombre dial, steel bezel
2%
OPTION 19: Blue Ombre dial, blue bezel
4%
OPTION 20: Blue bezel insert
5%
OPTION 21: Black bezel insert
3%
OPTION 22: Blue bezel insert
7%
OPTION 23: Black bezel insert
2%
OPTION 24: Blue bezel insert
3%
OPTION 25: Black bezel insert
2%
OPTION 26: Blue bezel insert
4%
OPTION 27: Black bezel insert
1%
OPTION 28: Blue Solid Dial, Blue Bezel Insert. With Red Accents.
5%
OPTION 29: Blue Ombre Dial, Black Bezel Insert. Some Red Accents.
4%
OPTION 30: Blue Ombre Dial, Blue Bezel Insert. Red Dial Text, STEEL Case
5%

Total votes: 301

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: FLE #8 Design Vote

Post by scooter »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm To my mind the best, simplest and clearest process was for the FLE that produced the Blue Scooter and the Red Jag. The model was not negotiable, and the only parameters members were able to change were the colours on the dial and bezel, I believe. Probably the best FLE as well.
What else did CW give us freedom to change?

scooter: the lume colour on the dots and markers.

AVO: Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah.

JAG: and the lume colour on the hands.

AVO: Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the lume colour on the dots and markers and the hands are two things that CW allowed us to change.

scooter: and the bezel print (dots and numbers) colour.

AVO: Well, yeah. Obviously the bezel prints (dots and numbers) colour. I mean, the bezel prints (dots and numbers) colour go without saying, don't they? But apart from the lume colour on the dots and markers, the lume colour on the hands, the lume colour on the dots and markers, the bezel print (dots and numbers) colour together with the colours on the dial and bezel, what did CW allow us to play with?

JAG: the minute track colour.

AVO: Yeah but.

scooter: the bezel dot colour.

AVO: OKAY.

scooter/JAG: We could mix and match colours within reason.

AVO: Oh, SHUT UP.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

^^^ Brilliant! :lol:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

What did the Romans ever do for us ?
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

StrappedUp wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 amIIRC, the only reason the 2-tone GMT didn't get there is because CW decided that the ceramic option wasn't available anymore and a lot of members didn't like the aluminium alternative.

Had the 2-tone ceramic insert still been available, I think it would have more than likely been in production now.
I thought the main problem was neither of the seconds options got the minimum 25 votes required. Then Kip went and asked for the next step and by then 40mm was being requested. I thought we just took too long with the process but maybe I'm wrong.

Kip wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:47 amThe 2 tone ceramic bezel option is no longer available to us in any size. It was never available in a 40mm and our window for the 42mm has closed due to minimum requirements. It would now would just be prohibitively expensive.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Scooter, old friend, I bow to your superior knowledge. I was still quite a newbie in those days!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm
StrappedUp wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 amIIRC, the only reason the 2-tone GMT didn't get there is because CW decided that the ceramic option wasn't available anymore and a lot of members didn't like the aluminium alternative.

Had the 2-tone ceramic insert still been available, I think it would have more than likely been in production now.
I thought the main problem was neither of the seconds options got the minimum 25 votes required. Then Kip went and asked for the next step and by then 40mm was being requested. I thought we just took too long with the process but maybe I'm wrong.

Kip wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:47 amThe 2 tone ceramic bezel option is no longer available to us in any size. It was never available in a 40mm and our window for the 42mm has closed due to minimum requirements. It would now would just be prohibitively expensive.
Apologies, I stand corrected :oops:

In that case, I'm not so sure any FLE will get off the ground unless the process is changed to limit design options. IMO, that 2-tone was a pretty exceptional FLE compared to some of the past ones and it still tanked.
Ryan
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:46 pm
CBMVic20 wrote:Far too many choices which splintered the vote :(
Appreciate the sentiment but there was no limitation on what could be voted on.

You could vote for one or vote for all, assuming you would be willing to buy.

Voting was specifically structured this way to negate the vote being splintered.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
And I'm not sure that picking up the football and going home is the right way forward. Surely the top 10 designs (or 5 or 7 or whatever) should now go to the next round to let members decide if they would be prepared to change their vote if their first option(s) didn't make it through? In life it is often the case that we don't get our first choice but are prepared to compromise for something else that comes close.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
And I'm not sure that picking up the football and going home is the right way forward. Surely the top 10 designs (or 5 or 7 or whatever should now go to the next round to let members decide if they would be prepared to change their vote if their first option(s) didn't make it through? In life it is often the case that we don't get our first choice but are prepared to compromise for something else that comes close.
Although I eventually didn’t throw my hat in the ring, i have been reading this thread with interest.

Phil, if I’m reading the comments correctly I’m still not sure the top ten would get enough votes to get it over the line. Because votes were possible for all options, it doesn’t mean that some members would be compromising by voting for a top ten in another poll. They have in effect already voted for the top ten.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

TheBeatles wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:57 pm
And I'm not sure that picking up the football and going home is the right way forward. Surely the top 10 designs (or 5 or 7 or whatever should now go to the next round to let members decide if they would be prepared to change their vote if their first option(s) didn't make it through? In life it is often the case that we don't get our first choice but are prepared to compromise for something else that comes close.
Although I eventually didn’t throw my hat in the ring, i have been reading this thread with interest.

Phil, if I’m reading the comments correctly I’m still not sure the top ten would get enough votes to get it over the line. Because votes were possible for all options, it doesn’t mean that some members would be compromising by voting for a top ten in another poll. They have in effect already voted for the top ten.
Because, human nature being what it is, rather than just going down a list checking every box, people will tend to pick a few of the many in an attempt to influence the vote for their favorites. At least, that's what I would do. I don't see ANY downside in running another round.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Because, human nature being what it is, rather than just going down a list checking every box, people will tend to pick a few of the many in an attempt to influence the vote for their favorites. At least, that's what I would do. I don't see ANY downside in running another round.
Fair point Phil, and one I hadn’t considered.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:57 pm

I agree Phil. You could take the top three choices and put them up to a vote for a couple of days. No downside and maybe there are some who were confused/overwhelmed by the number of choices in the last round of voting that would consolidate their votes to pick a winner. Just because the rules said members could vote for as many as they wanted last time, doesn't mean they all did.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

That's a good suggestion Phil. If none gets the minimum number or if there is limited confidence in true buying intentions, then draw a line under it
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Devils advocate here.

So what some of you are saying is that the poll question...

...was to complicated.

By reducing the number of choices the same people could vote for the same "likes" they had the last time, which would end in a similar result. Only this time there would be potentially less people voting if some of their favorites didn't make the cut.

If everyone voted for ones they would buy (they would be doing the same thing again) I don't understand why the results would be different.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Kip, the results may be equally inconclusive or unconvincing (in which case closing this FLE approach would ironically be definite). 2 highest scoring C60s and 2 highest scoring C65? Just the top 2 from the previous poll?
Whatever the final round is, for the sake of taking a week to vote on the top two or three to conclude this either way may not be a bad thing
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Kip wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:17 pm Devils advocate here.

So what some of you are saying is that the poll question...

...was to complicated.
No, I don't see that anybody said that.

I believe there may have simply been too many options for a meaningful leader to emerge. By reducing options then the focus is concentrated. I really don't see the downside of a round 2 poll with the winners advancing. You may end up being right Kip in that there still won't be sufficient votes to make the FLE viable but at least we'll know.
WatchChat on Facebook