Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: CS & 60/60 Test case.

Post by Mikkei4 »

Lavaine wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 pm [
Seriously though, I'm not sure why customers are asked to pay in advance for a service. If my mechanic asked for payment up front when I brought my car in for service, I'd be looking for a new mechanic.
That is strange isn't it. I've had services on TAG watches with TAG and also repairs by Watchfinder yet neither asked for the money upfront. What is it that CW is concerned about that they ask for payment prior to the work being started and completed?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:33 pm What happened to the £99 service that used to be quoted? A 50% hike in price ?
My 2012 Trident was serviced just over a year ago, £99, so yes a big price increase.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:33 pm What happened to the £99 service that used to be quoted? A 50% hike in price ?
My 2012 Trident was serviced just over a year ago, £99, so yes a big price increase.
I guess they cottoned on that £99 was very “reasonable” and decided to aim for “competitive” instead?
Steve.
meinberg
Senior
Senior

Post by meinberg »

Thermexman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:57 pm
Thegreyman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:39 pm
I guess they cottoned on that £99 was very “reasonable” and decided to aim for “competitive” instead?
Or raised the price because the quality has declined and therefore the 'average' service requires more work, in effect the customer is helping to finance the warranty? Cynical I know :)

How much would a service, including pressure testing, be in the UK be for a Trident at a local watch repairer?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I had my citizen serviced last spring. I recieved an estimate in the mail and paid up front. Actually prefer it that way rather than end up with sticker shock when it is finished.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

meinberg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 pm
How much would a service, including pressure testing, be in the UK be for a Trident at a local watch repairer?
No idea. Don’t know of any local watch repairer. I once googled and found a local independent jewellery shop advertising watch repairs and they even had a pic of the “upstairs repair shop”. When I enquired, I was told that they only did bracelet adjustment in store and a repair would require sending away to “their” national repair centre. Hmm! An independent, one store only jeweller, with a national repair centre!!!!
Steve.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It will be interesting to see how this goes on, Steve. My last service was done 12 months ago before the apparent price increase, so it was £99.
I also had the issue of a sticky rotor, which was all sorted out. The lead time would have been about seven weeks but I was about to go on holiday for Christmas so asked them to keep it until January.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

meinberg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 pmOr raised the price because the quality has declined and therefore the 'average' service requires more work, in effect the customer is helping to finance the warranty? Cynical I know :)

http://www.chealwatch.com/repairPrice.php

I would imagine around £130 - £140 including the pressure test and return postage. Although if specific spares like hands, dial, case parts are needed (with the exception of crystal), then the repairer probably won't be able to get them. Please not this link is only for an example on pricing, not a recommendation.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

DavecUK wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:35 pm
meinberg wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 pmOr raised the price because the quality has declined and therefore the 'average' service requires more work, in effect the customer is helping to finance the warranty? Cynical I know :)

I would imagine around £130 - £140 including the pressure test and return postage. Although if specific spares like hands, dial, case parts are needed (with the exception of crystal), then the repairer probably won't be able to get them.
If it's quartz, much cheaper of course £80 or less I would have thought.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Can you recommend Cheal Watch from your own experience Dave?

I remember many threads on TZ about them in the past.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I don’t have a view on whether an increase from £100 to £150 is reasonable or not. However I am absolutely certain that there is a world of difference between a service carried out competently to a high standard by a highly skilled watchmaker and one carried out by someone with a less developed skill set.

Poor and inaccurate lubrication will itself adversely impact how well a watch is required to be serviced, before even getting into competence of regulation, or scratched dial and hands, dirt and debris not completely removed etc..

My starter for ten would be an OEM service, providing I was aware of the behind the scenes set up. The alternative would be to use a watchmaker, based upon personal recommendations.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

scooter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:49 pm Can you recommend Cheal Watch from your own experience Dave?

I remember many threads on TZ about them in the past.

scooter
No, I have not yet used them, it's just that they are quite transparent on pricing. I did quiz the guy a bit as I am considering sending my Oris for servicing in the next year or so....seemed to know his stuff. Of course it's just a guess/impression.

Edit: It seems that there are many threads on TZUK about Cheal Watch, so perhaps just use as a price guide which is all I posted the link for. I have not used them and after reading the feedback probably won't. The pricing however is in the ballpark for what these things should cost.
meinberg
Senior
Senior

Post by meinberg »

DavecUK wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:35 pm

I would imagine around £130 - £140 including the pressure test and return postage. Although if specific spares like hands, dial, case parts are needed (with the exception of crystal), then the repairer probably won't be able to get them.
Well I guess the 150GBP is a fair figure, do they perform basic servicing at CW Towers or do they send everything back to Switzerland I wonder? It would explain the slow turnaround if they do.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

meinberg wrote: Well I guess the 150GBP is a fair figure, do they perform basic servicing at CW Towers or do they send everything back to Switzerland I wonder? It would explain the slow turnaround if they do.
A fair amount of the servicing is done at CW Towers in Maidenhead, with some going to Biel, Switzerland specifically all SH21 powered watches.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England