CS & 60/60 Test case.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: CS & 60/60 Test case.

Post by jtc »

Lavaine wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am The car analogy is BS for so many reasons. Not the least of which is that you are not required to service your car at the dealer in order to maintain warranty. You must only be able to show that the required services were performed.
This.

It's a way for CW to wind back on their 5yr warranty promises and make a bit of extra money. Simple as that.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

jtc wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am
Lavaine wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 am The car analogy is BS for so many reasons. Not the least of which is that you are not required to service your car at the dealer in order to maintain warranty. You must only be able to show that the required services were performed.
This.

It's a way for CW to wind back on their 5yr warranty promises and make a bit of extra money. Simple as that.
As I understand CW are not going back on previous commitments in terms of watches sold, so if at the time your handbook says recommended and not the new wording since the Trident M3 you will receive the full five years warranty regardless of servicing.

They have updated the website to be clearer with a link from the reference to 60/60 to an explanation about the servicing requirement. Personally though, I don't think this is enough and to still include 60/60 rather than 60/48 when advertising the product is misleading but from a marketing perspective it doesn't sound as good does it?! This is not a warranty, it is a conditional warranty and to get the 60 months it will cost more than the initial purchase amount and to be totally clear a standard service price should be listed on the site and it isn't, anywhere.

Forgetting watches in a higher price bracket, 48 months is very competitive and beyond many others who offer up to 24 months. However with the latest issues with water resistance, cosmetic issues on the dial under the glass (not owner created) or crown issues I personally would rather a limited 24 month warranty covering the movement and workmanship of the product rather than full 60 month movement only.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

MarkingTime wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm
Thermexman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am This post was more about seeing how much interaction is required in order to get my watch fixed/serviced and back to me in a timely fashion with minimal interaction from me.
Indeed.

Just over 8 weeks so far with no input from me after the watch was receipted by CW...

I am counting and I will update.
9 weeks...
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

MarkingTime wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm 9 weeks...
^ Yikes....Nine weeks with nary an email update?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Viognier wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:37 pm
MarkingTime wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:02 pm 9 weeks...
^ Yikes....Nine weeks with nary an email update?
Ten weeks...
Otherside
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Otherside »

Interesting experiment.
My M2.04 Concorde was recently in for some attention and it was months before it came back...
Anecdotal evidence seems to show that sometimes it takes long, and sometimes it's quick...
John

Got:
CW: C900 Monopusher, C60 Elite 1000, C60 SH21, C70 F1, C1000 Typhoon, C9 5 Day
Omega: Seamaster, Speedy Racing
Rolex: GMT
Tudor: Black Bay Harrods, Chrono Dark
Seiko: Alpinist, Titanium
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Hokey Kokey Diddley Dokey, experiment over.
As I promised, I haven’t chased this but simply let things take their course.

I dare say that Scooter will point out that by posting on here, I influenced things anyway? Only CW can answer that...

Anyway, I won’t embellish but will simply state the facts:

5/9/19: I filled in the Service/Repair request form on the website asking for a service but mentioning the stiff winder/spinning rota issue in the comments section.

6/9/19: I received an automated email acknowledging receipt of my request for a watch service.

10/9/19: Received an email informing me that a returns pack was being sent to me.

10/9/19: Received an order confirmation for said returns package.

21/9/19: Received returns pack. (Sat).

23/9/19: Posted my watch back to CW.

24/9/19: Received email to acknowledge receipt of my watch explaining options eg: if for repair, I’d hear back in 3-5 working days.

03/10/19: Received email thanking me for returning my watch for repair and stating that they have diagnosed that it requires a service. I was told how to proceed so promptly paid and emailed back to confirm payment.

03/10/19: Received an invoice for £150.

03/10/19: I paid the invoice.

03/10/19: Received an email acknowledging receipt of payment.

06/10/19: Received an email stating that the repair would be 8 weeks and I’d receive a 12 months warranty.

18/11/19: Received email stating that my order had been dispatched via DPD. Tracking info included.

19/11/19: As I was going to be out, I was able to divert the parcel to a local pickup point where I safely collected it. I also received various notifications informing me of the progress. They even told me that I’d collected it!

State of watch:
Condition: no damage.
Winder: still stiff with rotor judder! (I suspected that it was fully wound following transit so this may explain it??) With this in mind, I set it and left it until this morning, 21/11/19 to see how it was with less power left. It seemed easier and only stiffened up when it got closer to a full wind.

I’ll let it run totally flat and try again.

This watch has always lost 2 mins a week when being worn every day. It has just gained 7 secs over 48hrs (I wore it today) so has clearly been regulated. :thumbup:

Annoyingly, on putting the watch on, the pin & collar, connecting the bracelet to the clasp, fell out and the watch dropped. Thankfully, I caught it before it hit the kitchen floor!!!!

This pin and collar just keeps falling out without any effort at all. I’ve had to use one from one of the spare links. Never had this problem before!

So, there you have it.

Oh, by the way, the only paperwork returned with the watch was an invoice for the price paid. There was also a QC sticker on the back of the plastic sleeve covering the watch head with the initials CW 19/11/19. The man himself?
Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I thought in recent posts it had been stated that the service warranty was 24 months ? Or was that only if the service was performed before the watch was 4 years old so you still had the 5th year warranty plus another 12 months ?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:27 pm I thought in recent posts it had been stated that the service warranty was 24 months ? Or was that only if the service was performed before the watch was 4 years old so you still had the 5th year warranty plus another 12 months ?
EDIT - I found the posts I referred to above regarding 12 or 24 months warranty on a service - they are on this topic thread (I might have messed up the quotes a bit but hopefully you'll get the drift, if not it's just a page or so back.
downer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:25 am
helicopter pat wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 am At Bristol GTG I did ask Mike if a 2 year guarantee was given on a service and did state that is the case.
and if the service is after 4years it's 1 year?
No. I think it's a two year warranty on a service - regardless of age, which is in line with many other brands.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:27 pm I thought in recent posts it had been stated that the service warranty was 24 months ? Or was that only if the service was performed before the watch was 4 years old so you still had the 5th year warranty plus another 12 months ?
I can only go by this email as this is the only time it was mentioned.

E19A9E71-545F-459C-BEE7-C3B7239FE299.png
Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

So on 2 November MF says the warranty after service is 24 months but isn't specific if this is for all services or only 1 done before a watch is 4years old BUT a month prior a CW letter states the warranty after service is 12 months.

The confusion re. CW warranty continues.

I think I'll drop them an email in case I decide to get my Trident serviced.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

An interesting experiment that seems to me to throw up several issues:

1.From the description of how the watch now winds it still seems to have a problem - all three of my Tridents can be wound until the cows come home and there is no judder or stiffness.

2. There was no detailed breakdown of the work completed despite this being non warranty paid for work.

3.The e-mail 'diagnosing' the problem is laughable - it talks about a service being needed and then refers to a repair. You don't have a service to effect a repair - a repair implies that something is faulty or broken, so which is it?

4 It says the repair is guaranteed for 12 months - does this mean the whole movement or just the bit they fixed that wasn't broken since it was still under warranty but it had to be paid for?

Personally, I would expect a bit more for my hard earned £150 such as a watch that is functioning properly following the service and also details of what was actually found and done.

It all seems as clear as mud to me!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

I would also add that my watch too, arrived today, after an email and message yesterday telling me of its imminent arrival.

It comes complete with a small spec of something on the inside of the crystal, I could not honestly say if it was there before or not, but a sharp eyed QC inspector should have picked it up. I will deal with it myself, rather than return it for another ten weeks potentially.

The overall time for my work carried out was in excess of that stated and in my opinion only, too long for the work required, but other contact and dealings with CW have been much better, so I'm putting this down to a one off.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

PaulJS wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm An interesting experiment that seems to me to throw up several issues:

1.From the description of how the watch now winds it still seems to have a problem - all three of my Tridents can be wound until the cows come home and there is no judder or stiffness.

2. There was no detailed breakdown of the work completed despite this being non warranty paid for work.

3.The e-mail 'diagnosing' the problem is laughable - it talks about a service being needed and then refers to a repair. You don't have a service to effect a repair - a repair implies that something is faulty or broken, so which is it?

4 It says the repair is guaranteed for 12 months - does this mean the whole movement or just the bit they fixed that wasn't broken since it was still under warranty but it had to be paid for?

Personally, I would expect a bit more for my hard earned £150 such as a watch that is functioning properly following the service and also details of what was actually found and done.

Cheers,

Paul
Agreed. For £150 there should be a detailed work report and the watch should come back in perfect condition - bracelet parting, ye gods. I would also be unhappy about the guarantee confusion. Still a way to go......
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

PaulJS wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm An interesting experiment that seems to me to throw up several issues:

Cheers,

Paul
Thanks for summarising it up so well for me Paul.
I’ve been on a course all week and Thursday was exam & practical test day. I got home feeling a tad jaded but started writing this up when my wife reminded me that we were invited out to our friend’s birthday meal. My post was a little bland as a result.

(Nowt new there) some may say! :yawn:
Steve.