CS & 60/60 Test case.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: CS & 60/60 Test case.

Post by what-time-is-it »

Presumably SH21 costs more to service than Sellita/ETA movements?
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

The international shipping alone will add £10 or £20 to the service cost.

edit: By my estimations, based on recent contact with CW CS, it's about a £27 cost for the extra shipping to and from Switzerland, either that or Swiss watchmakers are just more expensive...
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

Maybe I am missing something here, but haven't we just had the modus operandi of the new 4 year warranty demonstrated by CW?

You send in a watch that is in it 5th year of warranty, having not yet been serviced, and the diagnosis comes back as service required, handover 150 of your finest English pounds.

What about the actual fault? I have had the spinning rota (different model, same movement) on a watch that was less than a year old and worn about 3 times. It was diagnosed as a faulty reversing wheel and sorted under warranty no questions asked.

So, effectively, a way of reducing the warranty to <5 years is, in year 5, to simply diagnose that a service is required and, since the company now specify a service at 4 years, you have nowhere to go with it.

Don't, get me wrong, I don't necessarily have an issue with the new policy of a service being required at 4 years. However, when the watch was purchased ( and I purchased one of My Tridents 4 years ago under the same terms) there was no stipulation for a service before its 5th birthday and so this seems to be being applied retrospectively.

The point is that the goal posts seem to have been moved?

TBH a more meaningful communication from CW may have been something along the lines of....there seems to be a problem with the reversing wheel. It may be faulty or it may simply require cleaning and lubricating. If it is the former it will be a warranty repair whereas the latter will require a service which is charged at £150....

Personally I think that we can conclude that the warranty period is now 4 years and proceed on that basis. It is still an excellent warranty period, but it is not what it says on the tin!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Hi Paul, you are correct in your observation except, to be fair to CW, I didn’t send the watch in simply stating it was faulty, I sent it in asking for a service and mentioned the fault in the notes. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned a service and that would have been a better test of the 60/60.

I guess I wouldn’t expect my 3yr car warranty to be honoured if I hadn’t kept to the service schedule, so I took the line that I should have had it serviced at 4yrs as CW recommend (but not insist at time of purchase) and therefore it was right to ask for a service and see if I was charged for any faulty parts?

This post was more about seeing how much interaction is required in order to get my watch fixed/serviced and back to me in a timely fashion with minimal interaction from me.
Steve.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

Sorry,
I misunderstood - I presumed from the title that the aim was to see whether the 5 year warranty resulted in the watch being repaired FOC.

It will still be interesting to see how this one progresses, presuming that:
1. CW don't put 2 + 2 together and expedite the process

and

2. That you have the required level of patience to sit on your hands!!!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

No apology needed Paul.
Steve.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Thermexman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am This post was more about seeing how much interaction is required in order to get my watch fixed/serviced and back to me in a timely fashion with minimal interaction from me.
Indeed.

Just over 8 weeks so far with no input from me after the watch was receipted by CW...

I am counting and I will update.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I don't particular want to hijack this thread (and Steve has mentioned this above already) but at the GTG in Bristol I asked for clarification around the CW 60/60 and servicing.
The answer was pretty much, if you have a car and have it regular serviced with the dealer as per the stated intervals (time/mileage) then the warranty is valid.
To the contrary, if something went wrong and hadn't had its regular service intervals then the warranty is void.
CW are not different, they are stating that the watch should be serviced every 3 1/2 - 4 years which means that it maintains the warranty.
I just don't think that CW have communicated this that well.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

StrapMeister wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 pm I don't particular want to hijack this thread (and Steve has mentioned this above already) but at the GTG in Bristol I asked for clarification around the CW 60/60 and servicing.
The answer was pretty much, if you have a car and have it regular serviced with the dealer as per the stated intervals (time/mileage) then the warranty is valid.
To the contrary, if something went wrong and hadn't had its regular service intervals then the warranty is void.
CW are not different, they are stating that the watch should be serviced every 3 1/2 - 4 years which means that it maintains the warranty.
Which dilutes the warranty to a real world 3 1/2 to 4 year warranty, as any service from a half decent watch maker will also carry a years warranty from point of service and as the warranty is only on the movement, for the extra year extension, you may as well take it to the cheapest place you can get a reliable service, CW or not.

I would also add, that a car service is considerably cheaper than the cost of replacing most components on a modern car. On the other hand, Sellita watch parts are rather cheap and simply replacing such components is neither particularly costly or time consuming, far cheaper if fact, than a service.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

MarkingTime wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:16 pm
StrapMeister wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 pm I don't particular want to hijack this thread (and Steve has mentioned this above already) but at the GTG in Bristol I asked for clarification around the CW 60/60 and servicing.
Which dilutes the warranty to a real world 3 1/2 to 4 year warranty, as any service from a half decent watch maker will also carry a years warranty from point of service and as the warranty is only on the movement, for the extra year extension, you may as well take it to the cheapest place you can get a reliable service, CW or not.
Exactly, yet 60/60 is still used.
For me the analogy with car servicing and warranty is nonsense as you knew up front before buying the car that annual/maximum mileage servicing is mandatory to retain the warranty. CW never stated their servicing as mandatory until very recently at which time the basis of 60/60 changed.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

From memory at the GTG (somebody will correct me if I’m wrong) Mike said they will offer a two year warranty at a 4 year service.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

The car analogy is BS for so many reasons. Not the least of which is that you are not required to service your car at the dealer in order to maintain warranty. You must only be able to show that the required services were performed.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
helicopter pat
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 11

Post by helicopter pat »

Macdaz wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 pm From memory at the GTG (somebody will correct me if I’m wrong) Mike said they will offer a two year warranty at a 4 year service.
At Bristol GTG I did ask Mike if a 2 year guarantee was given on a service and did state that is the case.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

helicopter pat wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 am
Macdaz wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:26 pm From memory at the GTG (somebody will correct me if I’m wrong) Mike said they will offer a two year warranty at a 4 year service.
At Bristol GTG I did ask Mike if a 2 year guarantee was given on a service and did state that is the case.
and if the service is after 4years it's 1 year?
downer

Post by downer »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:25 am
helicopter pat wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:00 am
and if the service is after 4years it's 1 year?
No. I think it's a two year warranty on a service - regardless of age, which is in line with many other brands.
Richard