Advice please

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JulesH

Advice please

Post by JulesH »

Hi I'm new here and after some advice for a nice watch for my husband. I have up to £1000 to spend and his friend suggested I look at Christopher Ward and a few other makes. What can you recommend please thankyou
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Advice please

Post by sproughton »

Plenty of options available but would be good to get some more information about your husband's likes and dislikes. Does he have any other watches?
JulesH

Post by JulesH »

He has a Casio Timex and Bolova. My friend said they are all quartz and it would be good to get a mechanical type watch for his big birthday. Our friend likes watches and said that Christopher Ward should be looked at and also Steinhart,Bremont, Hamilton tissot and maybe a second hand Omega but they seem expensive. I asked about Christopher ward in Goldsmiths when I looked at a tissot but they said they didn't stock Christopher ward and had not heard of them. I think a smart looking watch would suit him and not something to blingy or complicated.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

The C5 Malvern Automatic Mk III and C5 Malvern 595 are smart, impressive pieces that fit the budget. Of course you could go up in price and there's lot of interesting choices there.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

There are usually discount vouchers available throughout the year for CW so, if you do get set on buying a particular CW model, be sure to use one as not many collectors pay the RRP.

The current code is 100CW19 for £100 off over £500.

You might want to start with something like the C60 Trident Hombre or C65 Trident GMT and discover likes/dislikes from there.

Whatever you do buy, it's generally a good idea to buy on a bracelet where you can - adding one later is more expensive and there are numerous leather/fabric strap options both from CW and the wider market.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
JulesH

Post by JulesH »

Thank you. Is there any shops i can go in to to see them? Are the other makes i listed any good please? Its quite confusing as there is a lot of choice!
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Hi, its really really hard to make a recommendation without a little more info so can i ask a few more questions to try and steer..
As this is a CW forum the advice is likely to be Christopher Ward focused. CWs represent really good value for very well made and designed timepieces in most categories Smart/Dress, Motorsports, Diver style etc.. it isnt however the most widely known brand of watch if that is important. It is well known but not as much as Tag Heuer, Omega and others that have high street distributors and long established marketing branding. It does also have the advantage of their 60/60 guarantee so if you give as a present and your husband decides he likes something else in their range more you can return it and purchase something else.
Some questions:
  • Would he be wearing it as a special occasion watch (dinners/meetings/social functions) or as his main watch most of the time?
    Is he active/sporty or casual or very smart or a combination of these?
    Has he previously been drawn to or commented on a particular watch or style of watch that hes admired (however expensive, it would at least give a sense of his taste)?
    Is he very brand conscious or prefers to focus on quality over brand?
    If he is going to be wearing all the time, is his job/profession manual/physical or office based?
    Does he wear his current watches quite large or smaller and refined?
I could go on but as you can see its really hard to advise without knowing the person.
Watches are very personal and if you cant find one in advance that you think 'perfect' maybe make him a voucher that says this entitles the recipient to purchase a watch up to the value of £x and makes some suggestions like Chr Ward, Hamilton, Oris, Certina to start the ball rolling... That way you can both have fun together picking 'the one'
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

JulesH wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am Thank you. Is there any shops i can go in to to see them? Are the other makes i listed any good please? Its quite confusing as there is a lot of choice!
Christopher Ward is an internet only brand. You can see their watches on the CW website. If you are in the UK you can visit their showroom in Maidenhead too. That can be a fun experience if you're in the area and Declan, who runs the showroom, is a real gentleman and super helpful too.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/?swit ... %20kingdom

I think CW will still engrave the back of the watch for you too, if desired. Other more experienced forumites wold be able to confirm/deny this.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Soporsche wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:30 am
Watches are very personal and if you cant find one in advance that you think 'perfect' maybe make him a voucher that says this entitles the recipient to purchase a watch up to the value of £x and makes some suggestions like Chr Ward, Hamilton, Oris, Certina to start the ball rolling... That way you can both have fun together picking 'the one'
I think this would be my preferred route...!!!!
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

As plenty of others have said it's very hard to buy a watch for someone. My wife could only get it right if she added £4k to your budget and bought me a Rolex Explorer. She's not likely to buy me one but she won't waste money on something else either.
JulesH

Post by JulesH »

Thank you all for your help I will answer questions soon. What is Chr Ward?
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Sorry, Chr Ward = Christopher Ward
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

That is the one disadvantage with the likes of Christopher Ward and Steinhart in that it's not feasible for most people to view before you buy.
CW do such an array of watches it's hard to recommend a specific one, maybe check their website and come up with ideas on what he may like?

I can vouch for Hamilton as they are brilliant watches (some of their Aviation and X Wind watches are right at your price point), I also have a Steinhart and the service from Germany is excellent.

Good luck with your search.
Johnny
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

JulesH wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 am Hi I'm new here and after some advice for a nice watch for my husband. I have up to £1000 to spend and his friend suggested I look at Christopher Ward and a few other makes. What can you recommend please thankyou
As a husband, I applaud you for taking such an initiative in researching a gift for your husband! He’s lucky to have you.

Let me echo what others have said and suggest/encourage you presenting him with a “gift voucher” for a watch. The amount you have budgeted is a sizable sum of money. You certainly don’t want to take a chance with buying something that is so personal.

Or alternatively, let him know that you want to get him a fine, heirloom watch, and query him about likes and dislikes. Then armed with that info you can make a more informed selection.

My wife did the same for me with a watch as a wedding gift...that’s how I acquired my Christopher Ward watch! Given the amount she was spending, she didn’t want to take a shot in the dark. So she told me she wanted to get me a watch and asked if I had any suggestions. The final selection was up to her.

Let us know what you select, even if it isn’t a Christopher Ward, and maybe share some pics!
Drew
JulesH

Post by JulesH »

Thanks again. I will share this with our friend later and with this help and his i will do more research and see where it leads. I may ask him to join the forum too as he understands it all more. I think he has a Christopher Ward watch or did and it was him who suggested the other makes to look in to to.