FLE #8 design submissions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Re: FLE #8 design submissions

Post by Martin »

Just a largely irrelevant comment as this FLE is not for me: as someone who is very colour blind all of the Dartmouths on this page look identical.(!).

Ah! On the previous page now.
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

Yeah I love this too! It’s something very different but also might be polarising for some

Also really like a couple of the Dartmouth’s with the gold markers and hands.

Cheers
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:46 am This is exceptional, Steve!

Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

sproughton wrote:
StrappedUp wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 pm Thanks Neil. If the bezel looks a bit too much with the 'busy' dial, it could be substituted for this one ...

This or the red equivalent and I'm well and truly in. Unlikely to be a standard release and special enough for a LE.
I agree wholeheartedly. The green or red version with just the touch of bronze and the simplified bezel would be hard to beat in my book...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

gaf1958 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 am
sproughton wrote:
StrappedUp wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 pm Thanks Neil. If the bezel looks a bit too much with the 'busy' dial, it could be substituted for this one ...

This or the red equivalent and I'm well and truly in. Unlikely to be a standard release and special enough for a LE.
I agree wholeheartedly. The green or red version with just the touch of bronze and the simplified bezel would be hard to beat in my book...
Agree that (or the red) will do nicely. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Martin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:22 am Just a largely irrelevant comment as this FLE is not for me: as someone who is very colour blind all of the Dartmouths on this page look identical.(!).

Ah! On the previous page now.
Sorry Martin ...

There were just a couple of different dial colours including grey, red, green, teal and a mixture of case/bezel/crown materials including steel, bronze and black PVD.
Just a few initial options laid on the table :thumbup:
Ryan
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

Thanks.
It is very strange looking at the same watch in each mock up, knowing there are colour differences but not being able to see them.
thumperstain
CW-watches: 7

Post by thumperstain »

The all blue with yellow highlights is very sharp. Well done.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

I hate...Ok, strongly dislike the current renditions of both the C60 MkIii and the Dartmouth. The C60 translucent dial is just awful. There is nothing attractive about a wholly exposed date disk on a timepiece and the flags on flags motif stretched across the dial are better suited to an opaque shower curtain. The Dartmouth is already a special edition watch...developing a special edition watch from a piece that is already an SE doesn't make it doubly special, just redundant and diminishes the concept to those the timepiece sought to honor. Ad the lack of connection that most of us "outsiders" have to the UK military then well, you know.
That is all, carry on.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

OK, Mark, now that we know what you don’t like...what WOULD you like?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

That looks good! Well done Ryan!
Dean
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Markornot wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:12 pm I hate...Ok, strongly dislike the current renditions of both the C60 MkIii and the Dartmouth. The C60 translucent dial is just awful. There is nothing attractive about a wholly exposed date disk on a timepiece and the flags on flags motif stretched across the dial are better suited to an opaque shower curtain. The Dartmouth is already a special edition watch...developing a special edition watch from a piece that is already an SE doesn't make it doubly special, just redundant and diminishes the concept to those the timepiece sought to honor. Ad the lack of connection that most of us "outsiders" have to the UK military then well, you know.
That is all, carry on.
But any “Dartmouth” style won’t remotely be trying to be a military style watch. Just an attractive 41mm non date dive watch, with a sensible lug to lug, a gradient dial, and a logo placed in the traditional position :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

^^^ exactly this - any watch built upon the stylings of the Dartmouth will have no link whatsoever to the military. Plus you'd have to be very naïve to not think the Dartmouth case and dial style won't be used again in the future.

Using a watch that doesn't already have dozens of versions = good
Using a colour combo that doesn't exist in the range already = good
Going for a LE that you wouldn't expect CW to produce as a normal run in the future = excellent
Markornot
Guru
Guru

Post by Markornot »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 pm OK, Mark, now that we know what you don’t like...what WOULD you like?
As supporter of the original design, some variation of that is my preference. It is clear that is not the direction the group is going. I am open to other ideas and anything I would suggest would include a white dial and black markers/hands so I'll be no help on this one. Still open to other renditions if there are any. Just don't like the current design ideas.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Markornot
Guru
Guru

Post by Markornot »

sproughton wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 pm ^^^ exactly this - any watch built upon the stylings of the Dartmouth will have no link whatsoever to the military. Plus you'd have to be very naïve to not think the Dartmouth case and dial style won't be used again in the future
Then we're not really talking about a Dartmouth then. The Dartmouth has a specific backplate "licensed by the UK Ministry of Defence to bear the Royal Navy’s Naval crown" the assumption would be then that a unique case back would be designed and produced for the FLE. if that's something that CW would do, I would be more open.
Mark
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Aren't all the C65 Divers including the Dartmouth the same cases/crystals with just different dials, hands, movements and bezels? I guess you can mix and match anything from the C65 Divers including the case back.