FLE #8 design submissions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: FLE #8 design submissions

Post by nbg »

timor54 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 pm A Dartmouth GMT looks good, but... there’s a practical problem with the un-numbered dial.

The GMT hand rotates once per 24hrs and you need to be able to read off which hour it has just passed. In the images above the GMT hand is between the 4 & 5 hour batons, but what hour is that on a 24hr GMT scale?

Now you could do the mental arithmetic and work out that it’s between 8 & 10, and probably just after 9. Or you could just read it off the 24hr bezel :thumbup: But oh dear, that bezel rotates :thumbdown:

Now if it had a fixed 24hr bezel it would work, but that starts to be an homage to a @#*lex :silent:
I am not really clear what the problem would be.

The bezel only rotates if the wearer rotates it. That would only typically be the case if you were using the bezel to track a third time zone.

Every GMT that I have has an unnumbered dial and it’s still easy enough to know the home time and local time.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:00 pm ...

The C60 GMT has a rotating 24hr bezel. I thought the Rolex GMT Master did as well? So, wheres the problem?
I suppose so. I was thinking more of the Explorer 2.
Tim
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Nothing wrong with a simpler 3-hander Date either. I think these should be the last designs as Kip is probably already getting stressed out.

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm Nothing wrong with a simpler 3-hander Date either. I think these should be the last designs as Kip is probably already getting stressed out.

I bet Kip has less hair now than he did this morning :lol: :lol:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

i realize that many of these submissions are in fun, but quite frankly, other than throwing ideas against the wall I don't get it.

A GMT was not voted in so why are we wasting time on it? A date window is a great idea but if we can't show it so it will properly accommodate a full date what is the point. Btw, adding a date would require a movement change and we would lose the COSC of the Dartmouth and not show any significant savings in all likelihood.

I have looked at concerns over the pricing and yet again I find the addition of a GMT which will not only require a movement change, was not voted for, but will also increase the price further.

I will be redoing the summary again and it will only include eligible models. My first summary included most everything, my thinking being that there were some good ideas there that might stimulate more thought.

Not that I mind looking at some of these terrific ideas, but we are not rebuilding a unit starting with a case. We are modifying the appearance to keep cost increases to a minimum. If we want to start all over.....again....we can go that route, but I guarantee you that the price will be considerably higher. We are having enough difficulty getting to a 25 piece order.

The difference with the C60 suggestions is because those suggestions were floated By CW with the costs already calculated. That is why there is a bit more flexibility there.

I would recommend that if there are more ideas to get them in. I am closing this thread on Sunday.

Regarding setting up a discussion area...I will do that once design submissions have closed as has been my intent from the beginning. I have simply been waiting a determination of when/if we would be moving forward or not.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Macdaz wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:41 amThose Dartmouths properly got my attention!
nbg wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 am I reckon that this is the best so far :thumbup:
StrappedUp wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:23 am ^^^ I agree Neil. It looks fantastic and better than I thought it would when first suggested by Joseph. It also has the added benefit of working well on bracelet or strap.
Thanks for the support, guys and, again, Ryan for the mock-ups. I do love it too! Sadly, though, it seems we are a minority and something more fancy (and blue) is where it's at; currently. May the best design win! :-({|=
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Theres no way do I want to start all over again, my head hurts as it is!
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Kip wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 amThe difference with the C60 suggestions is because those suggestions were floated By CW with the costs already calculated. That is why there is a bit more flexibility there. I would recommend that if there are more ideas to get them in. I am closing this thread on Sunday.
Kip. Do you know if the various C65 bezels on all the 41mm models are interchangeable? If they are would that effect the pricing? Thanks! :)
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Good luck!
caseyc

Post by caseyc »

Is there a summary of the current submission?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As Kip posted earlier, he will re-do the summary after closing this thread on Sunday.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jvspin
CW-watches: 3

Post by jvspin »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:36 pm
nordwulf wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:19 pm Nothing wrong with a simpler 3-hander Date either. I think these should be the last designs as Kip is probably already getting stressed out.

I bet Kip has less hair now than he did this morning :lol: :lol:
I think this one is my favorite. I wonder what it looks like without the date, as that seems to be an issue.

Thanks for the great mock-ups!
C9 SS, Jump Hour MK3, C60 Pro Vintage
Bunch of JDM Citizen watches
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Well, I may as well sling my two pence worth in before the shutters come down on Sunday. I’d like to see an updated C60 titanium stealth at 40mm. Hands that are a shade lighter than variation #1 perhaps and some slight colour contrast as with the titanium prototype. Would definitely get my interest. Cheers
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Deleted
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Deleted