Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: FLE #8 design submissions

Post by sproughton »

Markornot wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:25 pm
sproughton wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:33 pm ^^^ exactly this - any watch built upon the stylings of the Dartmouth will have no link whatsoever to the military. Plus you'd have to be very naïve to not think the Dartmouth case and dial style won't be used again in the future
Then we're not really talking about a Dartmouth then. The Dartmouth has a specific backplate "licensed by the UK Ministry of Defence to bear the Royal Navy’s Naval crown" the assumption would be then that a unique case back would be designed and produced for the FLE. if that's something that CW would do, I would be more open.
I don't think we'd want or be allowed to retain the case back as it wouldn't be licensed by the Royal Navy. Referring to a Dartmouth in this instance is just a way of referencing a c65 with a specific dial configuration. At least that's how I see it.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ this. It's just an easier way of distinguishing between the C65 variants ... manual, auto and Dartmouth.
As far as I'm aware, the case back design will be as per standard C65/C60 but with "Forum Limited Edition" replacing the model designation.
I think there may have been a caseback render for the C60 in one of the previous FLE threads??
Ryan
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

You are correct in that we would not be allowed to use the current Dartmouth caseback.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I'm personally not a fan of the blue/yellow smoke-dial as it's... pretty out there. It looks pricey too so I don't know if, again, it would reach enough support to get 25 aboard.

I feel like if you're going with the Dartmouth you need to embrace it's vintage charm. It's a non-date Chronometer just like classic Seamasters and Submariners. You could turn it into a pure tool-diver or even better a dress-diver. Black bezel, ivory dial with gold markers? Dark grey dial with vintage lume? Red pip and seconds hand? Twin flags above the logo? 12 3 6 9 markers? I really don't know what CW will allow but I'm just saying you don't get vintage-styles like this often to customize so celebrate it. Have some fun! :D

I wish I had some photoshop skills to discuss what the heck I'm trying to visualize, but, alas, I suck at it. :(
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
TP Fit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by TP Fit »

gaf1958 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:01 am
sproughton wrote:
StrappedUp wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:34 pm Thanks Neil. If the bezel looks a bit too much with the 'busy' dial, it could be substituted for this one ...

This or the red equivalent and I'm well and truly in. Unlikely to be a standard release and special enough for a LE.
I agree wholeheartedly. The green or red version with just the touch of bronze and the simplified bezel would be hard to beat in my book...
I agree, I would be in for the red version. Very nice look.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Updated images as the dial proportions were incorrect on my initial attempts.

Red gradient dial/black bezel insert

Green gradient dial/black bezel insert

Grey gradient dial/black bezel insert

With colour matched inserts ...

Red gradient dial/bezel insert

Green gradient dial/bezel insert

Grey gradient dial/bezel insert

I'll leave it at that for now and wait until further input is required.
Ryan
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

If there is no option to add a date to the Dartmouth then my only focus would be on the C60. Great designs by the way, Ryan, I just wouldn’t wear them due to no date.

I do really like the blue/yellow that was mocked up earlier in the thread and would definitely be interested in something along those lines. So, I’m still in! :D
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

edit: why did I even bother..
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote:As the new military models have the word mark at 12, is this now an option for the C60 for an FLE?

Many on social media and forums expressed interest in buying a CW but the word mark issue is holding them back. i am just saying this FLE8 may have a much better chance in getting more backers with the word mark at 12.

Just leaving this here.. It is a combination of some of the other proposed designs by CW from the original thread with a few changes for a balanced dial.

The answer is likely to be a firm and emphatic 'No', believe it has been stated previously, but I'll let @Kip confirm this (as he has the full details from CW of what is possible).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm
nordwulf wrote:As the new military models have the word mark at 12, is this now an option for the C60 for an FLE?

Many on social media and forums expressed interest in buying a CW but the word mark issue is holding them back. i am just saying this FLE8 may have a much better chance in getting more backers with the word mark at 12.

Just leaving this here.. It is a combination of some of the other proposed designs by CW from the original thread with a few changes for a balanced dial.

The answer is likely to be a firm and emphatic 'No', believe it has been stated previously, but I'll let @Kip confirm this (as he has the full details from CW of what is possible).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
We could, however, make the wordmark at 9 a very dark, almost invisible colour (navy blue on blue dial, dark grey on black dial as an example) and apply the flags at 12?
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:46 pm Updated images as the dial proportions were incorrect on my initial attempts <snip>
Green / Green
Green / Black
Red / Black

are all lovely. Maybe the Red / Red is a bit too much for my taste.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

edit
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:45 pm
TigerChris wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 pm We could, however, make the wordmark at 9 a very dark, almost invisible colour (navy blue on blue dial, dark grey on black dial as an example) and apply the flags at 12?
That was my second choice. But I still like the other one better as it is more unique compared to a regular C60.

Swap that for a blue case, add some yellow highlights and we are starting to look very good there Frank :D
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

From my very first FLE #8 post here.
Kip wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am
We can get an applied device i.e. the Twin Flags, at 12 but there will be NO Logo changes or moves; so please don't ask.

We can alter the dial print (not the logo).
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Just a comment on the date at 6. If you have it there then it needs to be a vertical window not a horizontal window, otherwise the figures can't all fit onto the date wheel. It also makes "fat" numbers like 28 hard to see, but not impossible.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr