C65 Trident Vintage MK2 or Tudor Black Bay 36mm

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: C65 Trident Vintage MK2 or Tudor Black Bay 36mm

Post by Alex r »

Emjay wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 pm @Alex r: that is a beauty of a watch and very likely my next purchase (despite already owning the BB red). One thing I couldn't make out in any reviews tho, maybe you can help: does it have antireflective coating? Some suggest it has, some say it doesn't. The crystal seems to reflect light a lot but maybe only because it's flat?
No dosn't have an AR coating but i have not found it to be an issue to read in any light, I think the light reflections are more of an issue with photographing than day to day use. Seems to be one of those watches that is better in person than on film, Most of the time the crystal appears to disappear when its clean as It Is a bit of a finger print magnet.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Those are two very different watches; different aesthetics, different prices, different manufacturers....

Saying that though, I was in a similar position last month and stuck with my C65 Trident Vintage MK2 over a purchase of a BB.

I bought the C65 when it was first released. I got it on a leather strap (I am still pondering the new bracelet for it) and I have been utterly, utterly blown away with it since it arrived. It has a look that, for me, is perfectly balanced between casual and dressy. It goes with me to the office regularly, has been my choice at both weddings and funerals, I’ve swum/bathed/showered with it and have hacked about in the garden with it on my wrist. Straps get changed nearly daily - textured calf for smart, beaten up/vintage leather or a NATO for casual, and they all just work. It is also exceptionally accurate with an average gain of just +5sec A WEEK (!) irrespective of if I am wearing it, resting it overnight or leaving it in my winder. Lastly, I just love the non-screw-in crown. Soooooo easy to top up (its even a great fidget device in boring meetings!) without the nagging worry of mashing threads when screwing a crown back in.

So, the C65 is a beauty.

As for the BB36, a local(ish) Windsor Bishop store had both the 41mm and 36mm versions in a stock clearance event over the summer. Both were listed with 40% off RRP so around the £1300 mark. I tried both, but just god not “get” either. They have the dial and hands of a true diver (water resistance to match) but no rotating bezel? Case sides are slabs of steel with no real effort seeming to have been made to profile them; they give the impression of just being there to hold the movement. And the movement (at least in the ones I saw) were “just” ETAs... Now, I have heard that Tutor fettle with them a bit, but the sales representative, and even the store Manager, would not be drawn into a firm figure of accuracy. All they would say was “better manufacturer spec, probably about +/-10 to 15sec a day.” Now, I did appreciate the thin case depth of both and the cool little ceramic balls in the clasp, but no glide-lock and no half link for the bracelet would have me struggling for a fit I think.

So, even with a very decent chunk of discount I could not bring myself to buy either BB. Their only big advantage over the C65 is brand recognition and value retention I guess. If I had bought one I probably could have flipped it in the future and not made any loss, but that’s a £1300 risk I could not take. On the other hand, with the discount code I used when I bought the C65, and that it came as a strap option, means I think I got a very good deal and it is worth every penny.

Just my thoughts,

C

PS - recent phone conversations with CW Towers have confirmed that all the new “Light Catcher” C65 cases are made in the same factory as Tudor cases...
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Alex r »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 pm Those are two very different watches; different aesthetics, different prices, different manufacturers....

PS - recent phone conversations with CW Towers have confirmed that all the new “Light Catcher” C65 cases are made in the same factory as Tudor cases...
I Agree they are two very different watches and the C65 looks a great watch. Nice to see someone praising it's merits rather than the negative press CW seem to be getting at the moment.

Not sure how the case been made in the same factory makes any difference. Each brand will have its Owen specs and finishing tolerance. It's like saying the fait Punto is made in the same factory as a Ferrari, completely irrelevant due to materials and finishing standards. The Punto is never going to be a Ferrari even if it sat next to one while it was made then drove through the showroom.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Jcalder68 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 pmI bought the C65 when it was first released. I got it on a leather strap (I am still pondering the new bracelet for it) and I have been utterly, utterly blown away with it since it arrived. It has a look that, for me, is perfectly balanced between casual and dressy. It goes with me to the office regularly, has been my choice at both weddings and funerals, I’ve swum/bathed/showered with it and have hacked about in the garden with it on my wrist.
:clap: Great comments. That's why I'm like 90% certain the C65 Vintage is going to be my next purchase. :thumbup:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
DanielDZ
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by DanielDZ »

The BB36 is my every day watch and it’s honestly perfect for that purpose. I’ve never been tempted to swap it out/upgrade etc. It wears like a dream and it’s symmetry and simplicity make it best aesthetically pleasing.

I love the C65 but if I had to choose, it’d be the BB36. Pre owned, anything around or under £1500 for a complete example is a good deal.
Current watches: Tudor Black bay 36 Black dial, C65 Trident GMT Black/Orange, C30 Malvern Chronometer LTD

Previously owned CW: C65 automatic blue, C9 5-day 40mm
DanielDZ
Junior
Junior

Post by DanielDZ »

A couple of quick shots of the 36
Attachments
D1F38DFA-3F38-4D0C-9475-31A2151EACBB.jpeg
4A04D77E-40B4-425D-BA89-90B7C81D44E6.jpeg
42EF3CBB-2720-4EE3-A430-B51A755BDDA5.jpeg
Current watches: Tudor Black bay 36 Black dial, C65 Trident GMT Black/Orange, C30 Malvern Chronometer LTD

timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Earlier this year, whilst trying to convince myself I really didn’t want the BB58 ](*,), I spent some time looking at the BB36/41.

They are very nice understated watches and pretty good value with the likelihood of deals available. My primary observations were that the 36 has a nicer proportioned dial than the 41, which seems rather ‘bare or empty’ in comparison. Whilst 36mm might seem small, it’s nearly all dial and did appear larger. However, Tudor bracelets are not over long and I struggled to get it over my hand even with all the links in!
Tim
DanielDZ
Junior
Junior

Post by DanielDZ »

timor54 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 pm Earlier this year, whilst trying to convince myself I really didn’t want the BB58 ](*,), I spent some time looking at the BB36/41.

They are very nice understated watches and pretty good value with the likelihood of deals available. My primary observations were that the 36 has a nicer proportioned dial than the 41, which seems rather ‘bare or empty’ in comparison. Whilst 36mm might seem small, it’s nearly all dial and did appear larger. However, Tudor bracelets are not over long and I struggled to get it over my hand even with all the links in!
Totally agree about the proportions. The 41 is bare, whereas the 36 looks well proportioned.

The bracelet quality outstanding, it’s a shame it doesn’t fit over your hand easily. I guess it’s not always a bad thing to have small wrists

CraigP

Post by CraigP »

Thought I should probably update / end this thread.

As planned, I tried on the BB36. Lovely build quality but it just didn't do anything for me - nor did the 41.

I did, however, see this rather nice B&R 123 Vintage which I ended up buying.
IMG_20191007_122204.jpg
But...on reflection, I decided it was just a touch too large. Lug to lug of 50mm wasn't quite right, and the deployant buckle ended up over half way round my wrist.

I therefore got a refund and headed off to see a Sinn 556i. Once again, did nothing for me, but I did spot something I really liked the look of - a Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II. 40mm, nice band, fits perfectly, a bit IWC like, but not too much, not too sterile and just a little bit different. Discount of £240 and I'm really pleased - a brand I'd suggest checking out if you've not done so.
IMG_20191016_095120.jpg
IMG_20191016_095000.jpg
IMG_20191016_115732.jpg
I will, however, continue to frequent these forums and thanks for all your help.

Sorry, no idea why the images are sideways!
Attachments
IMG_20191016_095029.jpg
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

CraigP wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:07 pm Thought I should probably update / end this thread.

As planned, I tried on the BB36. Lovely build quality but it just didn't do anything for me - nor did the 41.

IMG_20191007_122204.jpg

But...on reflection, I decided it was just a touch too large. Lug to lug of 50mm wasn't quite right, and the deployant buckle ended up over half way round my wrist.

I therefore got a refund and headed off to see a Sinn 556i. Once again, did nothing for me, but I did spot something I really liked the look of - a Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II. 40mm, nice band, fits perfectly, a bit IWC like, but not too much, not too sterile and just a little bit different. Discount of £240 and I'm really pleased - a brand I'd suggest checking out if you've not done so.

IMG_20191016_095120.jpg

IMG_20191016_095000.jpg

IMG_20191016_115732.jpg

I will, however, continue to frequent these forums and thanks for all your help.

Looks a good choice, congrats :thumbup:

Do you mind me asking where you managed to see the Muhle? I've looked at several of their watches online in the past but the lugs always look long to me so it'd be nice to get one on wrist to judge properly. I've not found anywhere that physically stocks them. Goldsmiths have them on their website but I've been to both Goldsmiths at Meadowhell, my local(ish) place for browsing, and they don't have them in store.
CraigP

Post by CraigP »

It was a jewellers in Kenilworth - James Moore & Co - basically the shop that operates First Class Watches. If it shows on the FCW website then I suspect they can dig it out for you. Not a million miles away if you're somewhere near Sheffield.

No issue with the lugs for me. I think measurements are important, but so too is the shape of the watch. I think this one is about 5mm shorter than the B&R but it's just a much better fit for me.
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Alex r »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:28 pm
CraigP wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:07 pm Thought I should probably update / end this thread.

IMG_20191007_122204.jpg

IMG_20191016_095120.jpg

IMG_20191016_095000.jpg

IMG_20191016_115732.jpg

Do you mind me asking where you managed to see the Muhle? I've looked at several of their watches online in the past but the lugs always look long to me so it'd be nice to get one on wrist to judge properly. I've not found anywhere that physically stocks them. Goldsmiths have them on their website but I've been to both Goldsmiths at Meadowhell, my local(ish) place for browsing, and they don't have them in store.
Ogden's in York have a few Muhle in stock so guessing Harrogate might have them as well not sure if it helps
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

CraigP wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm It was a jewellers in Kenilworth - James Moore & Co - basically the shop that operates First Class Watches. If it shows on the FCW website then I suspect they can dig it out for you. Not a million miles away if you're somewhere near Sheffield.

No issue with the lugs for me. I think measurements are important, but so too is the shape of the watch. I think this one is about 5mm shorter than the B&R but it's just a much better fit for me.
Cheers :thumbup:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Alex r wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm
TigerChris wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:28 pm

IMG_20191007_122204.jpg

IMG_20191016_095120.jpg

IMG_20191016_095000.jpg

IMG_20191016_115732.jpg

Ogden's in York have a few Muhle in stock so guessing Harrogate might have them as well not sure if it helps
York helps, cheers, I'm there quite often. I'm not allowed in to Harrogate, I'm not posh enough :lol: