Clearance Returns

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
User avatar
richtel
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 898
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm
CW-watches: 8
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by richtel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm

timor54 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 pm

CW QC? what’s this QC thing people talk about :down:
Sorry to seee that Tim. At least it shouldn't be too hard to get a refund, frustrating as it feels. Was that a NN? I can't believe that wasn't spotted before pushing back out the door.

User avatar
timor54
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by timor54 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:58 pm

richtel wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:55 pm
timor54 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:49 pm

CW QC? what’s this QC thing people talk about :down:
Sorry to seee that Tim. At least it shouldn't be too hard to get a refund, frustrating as it feels. Was that a NN? I can't believe that wasn't spotted before pushing back out the door.
Yes, NN. I have to wonder if it was originally returned because of misaligned hands and then went straight out of the door again to me?

Anyway, got a few days over Christmas to decide on a refund or repair. Having said that, I’m more than a little nervous about a CW repair...
Tim

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 22223
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 am

@timor54 - is it conceivable that the watch got a jolt whilst in transit to you?

There have been various comments on here in the past about GMT watches with hands out of sync. Seems a weak spot with the movement.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

C4|C4&W7 BBMF|C5 BOB LE|C6|C7 MkI 47AD|C7 MkII Harrier|C8 MkI|C8 Reg MkII
C8 M2.04 LE|C8 UTC|C9 FLE|C9 Me109 SPC LE|C20 FLE|C40 Speedhawk|C60 K'fisher|C60 FLE x2
C60 Apex|C60 Chrono P'type|C65 Khaki|C65 S'hurst|C65 GMT|C70 x3|C90 PR|C600|C1000

Soporsche
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:22 am
CW-watches: 11
Location: London

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by Soporsche » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:51 am

tikkathree wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:36 pm
Soporsche wrote:Glad i missed the Black/Gold, very nice... Cannot buy at moment, must not buy at moment.. Unless they find an old 43mm c60 white dial red bezel down the back of Chris's sofa ImageImage
Time was, you could make a wish to our fairy godmother whose name was Wera and she'd wave her wand and magic would happen.

Happy Days...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Yes, her presence at CW towers was amazing, atthough only dealt with her by email a few times and in person once, delightful lady!
CW's: 7+
Various others: Heuer, Tudor, Dan Henry, Seiko,..

User avatar
timor54
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by timor54 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 am
@timor54 - is it conceivable that the watch got a jolt whilst in transit to you?

There have been various comments on here in the past about GMT watches with hands out of sync. Seems a weak spot with the movement.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Nice try Guy :lol:

Not a mark on the packaging, if it can’t survive a courier then it’s probably not fit for a wrist. Just down to poor QC.
Tim

User avatar
Craig64
Senior
Senior
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17 pm
CW-watches: 6
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by Craig64 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:35 pm

timor54 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 am
@timor54 - is it conceivable that the watch got a jolt whilst in transit to you?

There have been various comments on here in the past about GMT watches with hands out of sync. Seems a weak spot with the movement.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Nice try Guy :lol:

Not a mark on the packaging, if it can’t survive a courier then it’s probably not fit for a wrist. Just down to poor QC.
Personally, regardless of the cause of hour hand misalignment, I would return for a refund.
I would not for one moment though, believe that this watch would have been sent out knowingly with such an issue.

I actually think that Guy raised a genuinely valid question in terms of potential damage in transit. I say that because, being someone who earns a living supplying small products, on line, by post/courier, it is astonishing how occasionally it is the case that products arrive damaged, despite the outer packaging appearing completely in tact and unmarked.

Surely impossible? I can assure you that it can happen.
Regards
Craig

User avatar
tikkathree
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3894
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 am
CW-watches: 7
Location: East Anglia - arr 'aas right buh

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by tikkathree » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:39 pm

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:@timor54 - is it conceivable that the watch got a jolt whilst in transit to you?

There have been various comments on here in the past about GMT watches with hands out of sync. Seems a weak spot with the movement.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
My mum, bless her memory, used to send Easter Eggs to my kids through the post and every year they arrived in the same state. Turned out that the postman put them by the heater in the van; deliberately. He's still a ****!.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI COSC, C60 MKII Day Date LE, C6 Kingfisher, C60 Kingfisher, C600 Tritech x 3

User avatar
timor54
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by timor54 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm

Craig64 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:35 pm
timor54 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 am
@timor54 - is it conceivable that the watch got a jolt whilst in transit to you?

There have been various comments on here in the past about GMT watches with hands out of sync. Seems a weak spot with the movement.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk
Nice try Guy :lol:

Not a mark on the packaging, if it can’t survive a courier then it’s probably not fit for a wrist. Just down to poor QC.
Personally, regardless of the cause of hour hand misalignment, I would return for a refund.
I would not for one moment though, believe that this watch would have been sent out knowingly with such an issue.

I actually think that Guy raised a genuinely valid question in terms of potential damage in transit. I say that because, being someone who earns a living supplying small products, on line, by post/courier, it is astonishing how occasionally it is the case that products arrive damaged, despite the outer packaging appearing completely in tact and unmarked.

Surely impossible? I can assure you that it can happen.
Image

LH image is watch as received; the hour hand was approx 10 minutes advanced. RH image is watch 3 days later; the hour hand is now about 25 minutes advanced.

The watch was hand wound mid-way through that interval out of curiosity to see how it’s time keeping was and then left face-up in its packaging. The watch has not been worn.

Over about 24 hours it lost 3 secs (or gained 15 minutes depending on how you measure it :silent:). Clearly this is not “a knock in transit” but rather a basic defect.

It’s going back for a refund, I can’t be bothered with the inevitable hassle and delay in CW trying to repair it.
Tim

Jcalder68
Guru
Guru
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:00 pm
CW-watches: 6

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by Jcalder68 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Anyone else noticed the new additions?
I have added a MK3 GMT C60 to my basket, regardless of the potential issues with hand alignment. They are too much of a bargain to overlook considering they still have the 60/60 warranty :-)

C
CW Watches (To Date): Trident M3 40mm, C60 Pro 300, C60 Pro 600 Vintage, C65 GMT, C65 Diver Auto, C65 Diver Manual
Others (To Date): Sinn 104, Seiko SNA411, G-Shock

Frighty
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:27 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by Frighty » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:45 pm

[/quote]
Over about 24 hours it lost 3 secs (or gained 15 minutes depending on how you measure it :silent:). Clearly this is not “a knock in transit” but rather a basic defect.
[/quote]

Surely this shouldn’t be possible, right? I mean, it’s a mechanical movement with cogs and gears, all 4 hands are the connected, they can’t move independently..

Honestly I know very little other than watching a few YouTube watch repair vids so genuinely interested in what might be causing the hour hand to move faster than the minute hand..

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3190
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by jtc » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Frighty wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:45 pm
Surely this shouldn’t be possible, right? I mean, it’s a mechanical movement with cogs and gears, all 4 hands are the connected, they can’t move independently..

Honestly I know very little other than watching a few YouTube watch repair vids so genuinely interested in what might be causing the hour hand to move faster than the minute hand..
If the hand is put on incorrectly it will forever remain as such - correctly rotating around the face .... but "out"
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

User avatar
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1286
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 am
CW-watches: 3
Location: Bayern

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by H0rati0 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Frighty wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Surely this shouldn’t be possible, right? I mean, it’s a mechanical movement with cogs and gears, all 4 hands are the connected, they can’t move independently..

Honestly I know very little other than watching a few YouTube watch repair vids so genuinely interested in what might be causing the hour hand to move faster than the minute hand..
If the one (or more) hands have slipped (loose) on the arbor then it is possible for the hands to move independently, though in theory the disconnected hand(s) should move more slowly than the arbor.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

User avatar
timor54
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by timor54 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:42 pm

H0rati0 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:03 pm
Frighty wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Surely this shouldn’t be possible, right? I mean, it’s a mechanical movement with cogs and gears, all 4 hands are the connected, they can’t move independently..

Honestly I know very little other than watching a few YouTube watch repair vids so genuinely interested in what might be causing the hour hand to move faster than the minute hand..
If the one (or more) hands have slipped (loose) on the arbor then it is possible for the hands to move independently, though in theory the disconnected hand(s) should move more slowly than the arbor.
I’d agree with this. I don’t know that the hour hand has advanced whilst running unattended and agree that I’d logically expect the opposite, to loose time though slippage.

Nevertheless it looks to me like the hour hand is probably loose and setting the time could also account for its erratic behaviour.
Tim

User avatar
Craig64
Senior
Senior
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:17 pm
CW-watches: 6
Location: Lincolnshire UK

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by Craig64 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:26 pm

timor54 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm
Craig64 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:35 pm
timor54 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 pm


Nice try Guy :lol:

Not a mark on the packaging, if it can’t survive a courier then it’s probably not fit for a wrist. Just down to poor QC.
Personally, regardless of the cause of hour hand misalignment, I would return for a refund.
I would not for one moment though, believe that this watch would have been sent out knowingly with such an issue.

I actually think that Guy raised a genuinely valid question in terms of potential damage in transit. I say that because, being someone who earns a living supplying small products, on line, by post/courier, it is astonishing how occasionally it is the case that products arrive damaged, despite the outer packaging appearing completely in tact and unmarked.

Surely impossible? I can assure you that it can happen.
Image

LH image is watch as received; the hour hand was approx 10 minutes advanced. RH image is watch 3 days later; the hour hand is now about 25 minutes advanced.

The watch was hand wound mid-way through that interval out of curiosity to see how it’s time keeping was and then left face-up in its packaging. The watch has not been worn.

Over about 24 hours it lost 3 secs (or gained 15 minutes depending on how you measure it :silent:). Clearly this is not “a knock in transit” but rather a basic defect.

It’s going back for a refund, I can’t be bothered with the inevitable hassle and delay in CW trying to repair it.
Thank you for the further update, and I absolutely agree with your assessment. And I too, would send it back for a full refund.
Regards
Craig

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3159
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 am
CW-watches: 1

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by what-time-is-it » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:37 pm

Based on my experience of returning a C60 Elite a couple of months ago, I reckon you'll be mid to late Jan before you see the credit appear on your statement, possibly quicker if you have a returns pack already in hand.

Returns packs and refunds can also take longer to be processed in sale periods.
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Bulova, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Raymond Weil, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex, Tudor & Victorinox.

Chris

Post Reply