Why Keep This Forum Going?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Bounce
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
Posts: 253
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:29 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Maidstone, Kent.

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Bounce » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 pm

A forum is only as good as its members & there are some very interesting & knowledgeable members on here.
I like reading about positive & negative issues people have with their watches as it increases my knowledge as well.
Obviously the bigger CW get the more negative issues people will have, but there will also be a lot more happy owners as well.
I for one will continue to support this forum as I very much enjoy it.
Rolex Submariner date.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m Auto
Seiko Kinetic Diver
C60 Trident Vintage.

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20461
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:13 pm

welshlad wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:28 pm
Barrie, I don't look at the CWE page in too much detail nowadays, so your awful news passed me by. But it's great to hear that some of the guys on the page reacted the way they did. And also that the guys at CW helped out too.
Similar with me. I have been trying to control what I see on my Facebook newsfeed, and that included CWE, as my feed was getting swamped with watch pictures. Therefore I obviously missed that. My sincere condolences to you and your family, Barrie.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

User avatar
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
Posts: 29926
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:45 pm
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Kip » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 pm

@Barrie,
However belated it may be, please allow me to offer my condolences to you and your family for your terrible loss.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Image

User avatar
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 am
CW-watches: 7
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by peterh » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 pm

Molan wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 pm
my gorgeous grandson who died two months ago.
Fffffff...
I've got three of those, and a granddaughter. All of them are older than your grandson was.

I can maybe begin to try to imagine what ordeal that put you through, but that's it.
However, slag them off and complain and you’re looking at pages and pages of replies. Go figure. . .
Yes, I know what you mean. We usually call that "welcome to the Internet".
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)

Molan
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:52 pm
CW-watches: 25

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Molan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:15 am

welshlad wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:28 pm
Barrie, I don't look at the CWE page in too much detail nowadays, so your awful news passed me by. But it's great to hear that some of the guys on the page reacted the way they did. And also that the guys at CW helped out too.
Yes, it’s been lovely to see positive messages from people, many of whom I only know through their love of watches in general and CW in particular.

The school said if we raised £500 they’d be really happy, we set a target of £1,500 but we’ve actually hit just under £8,000 now!

Looks like it’s topped out now and first meeting to talk about things that will benefit the school and be some form of memorial to him will be happening soon.

He was one of the most popular boys in the school with both teachers, parents and his classmates so it’ll be nice to have something there for them all to remember him by.
C7 blue LE, red prototype, green panda & blue cosc auto, C60 pro vintage, C9 5 Day white & blue, C7 Bluebird, IRR, COSC, C1000 Cockpit, C70 BRG & VW4, C3 x2

User avatar
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:00 am
CW-watches: 8
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by theemaadhatter » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:51 am

I've been around the forum for about two years and currently own eight CW watches. I like CW. But at this point I only check the forum once or twice a week and respond...rarely (I haven't even bothered to update my signature). For me, and I suspect many others, our decline in participation wasn't based on a logo change or the brand focus, but much much simpler. Here are my main three reasons.

1. As some of the initial posts mentioned, a common occurrence is for meaningful watch-focused posts to garner little-to-no attention or conversation, while certain members can post about a "dog walk" or "doctor's visit" and garner five pages of discussion. I got tired of it. Facebook threads in watch groups have more interaction and meaning, and that's saying something given the platform. That is where I started to drift...

2. The (lack of) ease when posting and sharing content. If you can't drag and drop a photo into a web interface for the purposes of sharing and it not look hideous by default, or easily post links and videos without tags, etc...you are behind the times and participation will suffer. Plain and simple. I can't count the number of times I've considered posting or sharing, or even logged in and started the process, and then decided it's not worth the effort since few to nill people will respond to my effort anyway (because my post would be about watches and more meaningful than my daily routine or a complaint).

3. To the last word of the preceding point, the dominant negativity. Sure there is negativity in all places, but it has settled in here too much for my liking. And I'm not talking solely about negativity toward CW. People are welcome to air their likes and dislikes, pros and cons, as they wish, go for it. But watches are a luxury item and I am a person that likes to keep things light, educational, and friendly regarding non-essential accessories. I do love my watches, but c'mon...deal with it like an adult...and it's just STUFF.

That's my perspective.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20461
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:11 am

Points one and three I understand and to a large extent agree with. Leaving aside some of the very personal stories about life changing events and circumstances, which deservedly attract attention and comment, it is more than a little galling to see really trivial posts garnering more attention than those which are or seek to be informative, well researched and, as you say, horological.

Point two: I don’t mind working to craft a decent post or response, and I do find attaching photos quite easy now. I also like to be able to find the thread easily the next day, week, month, or even year! I can do that on the forum. Facebook is too “of the moment”. So on that I shall beg to differ.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

User avatar
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:20 pm
CW-watches: 7
Location: UK

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by johnnysharp2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:52 am

I don't find posting photos that difficult however for the 'cw/non cw of the day' most of the time I can't be bothered taking a photo of what I am wearing, if there was a 'like' feature where posters could acknowledge they appreciate the watch or photo I may be more inclined to.
I also don't (can't) wear a watch around the house, my autistic son (bless him), doesn't like me doing so and prompts me to take it off!

The fact it's rare I get a reply to any of mine doesn't necessarily discourage me, however it doesn't encourage me either.
With guys drooling over Omega's and Rolex's if I am wearing a cheap Fossil I am unlikely to get the same attention I guess.

Overall I as I commented earlier I do like the forum a lot - I am not a watch expert by any means but I have learnt so much....but that has cost me quite a few quid in the process!
Johnny

User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Caller » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:37 am

I certainly agree with the views about the forum becoming more interactive and helpful (provide a gallery hosting service for example), but the platform would need to change for that.

Forums have peaks and troughs, but in general, I think most, whatever their subject matter, have settled down to lower numbers than the peak participation of a few years ago.

Personally, I prefer forums to facebook. I joined several groups there at one stage - everything from St. Ives to 4 fb pages about where I live. I have reduced that to 3 in total, now none of which flood me with posts.

I view forums as a resource, I view fb largely as a way of liaising with friends and family, primarily because the format doesn't really lend itself to much else. But that is now being challenged by Line, WhatsApp etc.
'Tis me

User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 8116
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Thegreyman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:48 am

Kip wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 pm
@Barrie,
However belated it may be, please allow me to offer my condolences to you and your family for your terrible loss.
Just read this about the tragic loss of your grandson Barrie, heartfelt best wishes to you and your family. It was nice to read the reaction from the FWE group and CW.

Puts into perspective there's more to life than watches, albeit it is the common interest in them that had allowed us all to cross paths.
Patrick

C7 Hornet COSC LE, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

Molan
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:52 pm
CW-watches: 25

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Molan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Thegreyman wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:48 am
Kip wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 pm
@Barrie,
However belated it may be, please allow me to offer my condolences to you and your family for your terrible loss.
Just read this about the tragic loss of your grandson Barrie, heartfelt best wishes to you and your family. It was nice to read the reaction from the FWE group and CW.

Puts into perspective there's more to life than watches, albeit it is the common interest in them that had allowed us all to cross paths.
Thanks Patrick & Kip,

In the spirit of “why keep this forum going” then the community here has been sending lovely messages both publicly and privately and generously donating to the charitable fundraiser which, in turn, has made the parents, teachers and family feel good :)
C7 blue LE, red prototype, green panda & blue cosc auto, C60 pro vintage, C9 5 Day white & blue, C7 Bluebird, IRR, COSC, C1000 Cockpit, C70 BRG & VW4, C3 x2

User avatar
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 4908
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by golfjunky » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am

with regards to the FLE decision, i wrote the below but it got deleted

"and some of you wonder why the FB group is more popular(and able to produce an LE), this thread in parts is a dogs dinner"
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Seiko SRPB43J1, C60 Trident, Casio G Shock 2327, Garmin Vivoactive

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:59 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by sproughton » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am

^^^ makes sense that it was deleted as not adding any value other than making it more of a 'dog's dinner'.

That thread does need to remain a bit more focused though I don't see any relevance to the FB group.

User avatar
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1767
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by hughesyn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:03 am

The forum is still valuable to CW, because it shows they are a 'real' company, not just a fancy website.
I bought my first CW after reading the forum, which gave me the confidence to buy.

The company does seem to have a disdainful attitude toward the forum.
They appear to read it occasionaly, but will never post anything.
Lots of young companies like fintechs have forums in which the company and customers are in constant dialogue. It's part CS, part feedback / roadmap development...
If someone posts a complaint, I'd expect a company representative to reply quickly with 'Hi, sorry to hear you're having a problem. DM me your contact details and we'll get in touch to sort this out'. That is exactly the kind of reply you get on social media from almost every other company when people complain. It takes the heat out of a complaint discussion because right from the beginning you know the company is on it.

On the other hand, the FB group seems more fun and less moderated.
See you on FB peeps!
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:53 am
CW-watches: 1

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by what-time-is-it » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am

Flexit!
Current collection incl Alpina, Breitling, Casio, Citizen, Eterna, Oris, Rado, Rolex, Seiko, Tag, Timex & Tudor.

Chris

Post Reply