Why Keep This Forum Going?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by PaulJS »

I have been frequenting this place since around 2014 and, when I started, IIRC, it was almost completely positive towards the brand. I don't mean in a sycophantic way, but more a place full of enthusiasm about a brand people felt in accord with.

It does seem to have changed quite markedly and, if I had to identify a tipping point, it would be around the time of the logo change. This initiated a lot of negative input which has never really gone away, but instead has rolled on to quality and CS issues.

Given that we know that, in terms of sales volume, the forum is about as significant as a pimple on an elephant's gonad, why do we think CW keeps on with the forum?

It seems to have been overtaken by Farcebook in terms of engagement (evidence their ability to swiftly execute an FLE compared to the procrastination going on here) and it presumably costs CW in terms of the infrastructure to keep it going.

So what do they get out of it because it certainly does not seem to be great publicity or massive sales?

Answers on a postcard.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Commisar »

Because it's a place to discuss the products Christopher Ward produces.... Like any other brand specific forum.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Rhorya

Post by Rhorya »

Change is always a controversial thing. No big deal.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Rhorya wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm Change is always a controversial thing. No big deal.
I think this is technically known as a non-sequitur.

But thanks anyway!
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

If this forum goes where does everyone get to moan about CW's QC issues?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Hmm, you're on to something. Having been here for only about 18 months, I too have noticed a marked change and the forum is a lot quieter.

Perhaps we are irrelevant to CW's new direction (corresponding with the logo change) as they now seem to be aiming at being an upmarket Daniel Wellington and the forumites here are mostly reactionaries it seems - myself included. Add on the recent CS debacles and a lot of enthusiasm has evaporated.

A Pity.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

I always like to think that manufacturers believe a forum might be a very good way to get feedback about products and their business from knowledgable people. The forum should be seen as a resource. When a company starts using sales as it's feedback, business can drop away suddenly, and they go bust without ever knowing why.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

I joined in September 16, after independently finding CW. I think it might have been due to Josh’s review of the the C60 600 that prompted me to buy. Especially as it coincided with a 30% off deal. It was the burgundy bezel/black dial, superb watch.

Initially the forum was great fun, many of my posts were responded to by members using Beatles songs as answers.

And I have bought many, many CWs since then. But now only have 3 and only bought in the sales.

However over the last year or two, I have found the Forum to be less fun. Less threads/posts, long standing members leaving and a general downbeat of enthusiasm.

I must add, that CW must take a LOT of the blame for this due to their incredible incompetence over just about everything. From web site crashes during sales to overall quality of CS and quality checking before despatch.

The mods and (dare I say it, lightheartedly) the fanboys have had a torrid time trying to talk up the company in the light of the recent issues.

I used to love CW, in particular, Wera. What an asset she was. Biggest corporate error in modern times when she was allowed to resign from her position.

As for “why keep this forum going”, personally I would miss it. But not as much as I would have done in the past.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Do You Want To Know A Secret?

Post by scooter »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:14 pm
Initially the forum was great fun, many of my posts were responded to by members using Beatles songs as answers.

However over the last year or two, I have found the Forum to be less fun. Less threads/posts, long standing members leaving and a general downbeat of enthusiasm.
Ask Me Why.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Why keep the forum going?

No doubt the forum has changed in the years I have been here. I imagine it’s usefulness to CW is something they review.

Is it better for a CW that people moan about poor CS or QC on here, than going direct to CW’s own FB page?

- More contained on here, although threads on here will come up in an internet search, if you type in stuff like “is a CW Trident C65 waterproof?”

- However it’s not polluting their own FB page.

I still think the forum is a useful outlet for people to visit and share their CS and or QC concerns.

For although they may be parted (from their CW) there is
Still a chance that they will (ultimately) see (the watch again)
There will (well may) be an answer (to the CS or QC problem)
(Therefore I just say) Let it be...... :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

I honestly think that there is still far more threads that have positive content, such as photos of a member's latest watch, than negative content! Also when someone has a problem the forum does often provide useful advice or even sort out the problem - therefore CW does find the forum very useful!

To us regulars it's a local pub you can quickly go to to see people you recognise and some you don't, to chat with - and if need be put the world to right! Long live the Christopher Ward Forum!!
Dean
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

The Forum certainly seems to be moving more and more towards being an outlet for some people to join up just to air their dissatisfaction about CW's watches/service.

Personally, it's not what I signed up for.

If I had a problem with a CW watch I would simply take it up with the Company in my own way.

Call me old fashioned but I just have the feeling that some threads have had an air of 'hiding behind your mother's skirt.'

It seems to end up with the hoped for response though, so I guess it works.

Anyone want to bet on what would have happened if threads like we have been seeing had been posted over on Eddie's Forum?

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve only been active here for about 18 months so have limited experiences to draw upon.

I’ve purchased 3 CW watches; new, nearly new and used; and a few accessories. My experience with CW has so far been very positive with none of the recounted horror stories.

Nevertheless, in my time I’ve observed a significant reduction in interesting forum activity. There is a trend for new members to pop up and post actively for a period of time (unfortunately all to often about perceived QC/CS issues) and then to disappear as active posters.

This forum has a huge number of registered users of which I’d estimate >95% have probably never posted more than once or twice, if at all.

From the outside it’s difficult to determine accurate statistics but I’d be surprised if there were more than 40-50 regulars posting. On the occasions I’ve looked at the list of active users it’s rare to see more than 20 registered users and that includes the Google and other web crawler bots!

There are a few people who attempt to start interesting watch content but the majority of these seem to get little traction and fade pretty quickly. Also it feels sometimes over moderated with any sparks of individuality or edginess been squashed.

It feels like it’s dying, the same few people posting in CW/NonCW watch of the day threads, and then liking each others posts. This is not a sound basis for the future and it’s also not very interesting.

All in all, it’s becoming a less interesting place but I’m persevering for the time being...
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Food for thought.

I joined the forum eight years ago. Nobody knew who the hell I was, but my introductory thread filled several pages over a very short space of time. Why? Because people bothered to reply. I saw a four day old introductory thread the other day that had five or six replies on it. Pathetic.

On occasions when I have bought a new watch and posted about it, there have been several pages of congratulatory and positive replies. Someone posted a new thread about his new pride and joy last week and it got about four replies in as many days. Pathetic.

Someone posts about a watch that has a problem, fair enough, and it fills 11 pages. Quite a bit of it attributable to the same few people saying exactly the same things many times and at enormous length, not helped by the usual ineffectual barrage of whole-post quotes.

Chap starts a couple of threads about a CW watch he is very clearly keen to get hold of, and is basically told by some members to shut up.

Over the years I have tried to post (as others have) threads that I felt might interest people from a horological point of view. They used to get lots of replies and interesting discussion. Perhaps I have become an old fart who posts boring stuff these days, since my more recent attempts to get discussions going have failed miserably. Perhaps that’s the reason.

We used to wish regular contributors a happy birthday. That appears to be a tradition now more honoured in the breach than the observance.

My friends, the forum is what YOU MAKE IT! If you fail to join in with anything that is trying to spark interest or to be positive, and you concentrate only on complaining, pouring scorn and being sarcastic, then YOU have succeeded in making the forum a haven of tedium and negativity (if that is what you believe it to be).

One last point, with reference to something Brian said. Personally, I do not go out of my way to “talk up” the company as you put it, though I believe in praise where it is due and I have generally had a very good experience with them. I accept that other people may not have enjoyed quite such a good experience. If you read all of my 20,000+ posts you will realise that I have been as critical as anyone at times. But generally, I try to say what I think needs to be said as succinctly as possible and shut up. Perhaps I don’t always succeed, but hey there you go.

And really finally, this is not a statement from the Admin Team. This is from me. From the heart. Sorry if I offend anyone.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Steve,

When I mentioned “talking up the company”, it wasn’t necessarily a criticism. I do believe that you and some of the more senior members are proud of the company. And you were right to be, it used to be a great company. I was very happy to join and be a Forum member and proud owner of CW watches.

I only stated that due to the sometimes barrage of criticism (I’ve been guilty of it myself) it had been difficult for you to maintain your proud stance without drawing more criticism.

This is turning out to be an interesting thread and finally From Me To You, you have never offended me.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain