FLE #8 - major changes

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: FLE #8 - major changes

Post by Mikkei4 »

baldrick wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:25 am Kip, just to be clear, when you say "our window has closed [for ceramic] due to minimum requirements", do you mean that we now cannot get ceramic at all (I.e. regardless of number of buyers), or that we could still get it if we got 25+ buyers on-board?

If the latter, I do think a final run-off vote would be a good idea. Yes, I agree the last poll was clear in that you "vote for every one you would buy", but it would be interesting to see the results of a new poll along the lines of "can you live with this or would you prefer no FLE at all". Might focus minds a bit more.

I'll be the first to admit, from memory I only voted for one option in the last poll, but at a push (and if the choice is no FLE) would also consider one of the others.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I'm confused......So if the number of people willing buy a version of this was over the minimum required because there was a compromise on how much red on the second hand would the 2tone ceramic still be possible? It was after all 1 of the options given BY CW on the very first "Would you buy 1 of these..." FLE thread not something that was suggested TO CW. Or is the 2tone ceramic bezel now a timing / production / cost issue no matter how many agree to buy it?
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

This with a red ceramic bezel to match the GMT hand in 40mm would be pretty nice I think. Maybe add FLE somewhere in the text?
ef68f8f10c1d2924cf3a36c7d43401e4.jpg
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Yes I would buy two.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

Even Rolex struggle with red coloured ceramic on their GMT, looks kinda pinkish in certain light.

Something like this all grey coloured ceramic (which was a previous alternative at the very start of the process) is closer to what's possibly available to us.

Just not sure it's distinctive enough for a FLE though.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

The white face red bezel models in the past have been slow sellers but very sought after on the secondhand market - always sell quickly at good prices. They are of course my favourite.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

I do like the look of white dials and want to add one to my meagre collection at some point. Not too fussed on the burgandy hue of the ceramic bezels though.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

If it goes to 40mm then I'm out. I would prefer a white dial, single colour bezel. But I can see which way the wind is blowing regarding size so I will declare myself out too.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
FlyboyChris
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by FlyboyChris »

Such a shame that this seems to have fallen through. As others have said, if it goes to an aluminium bezel then I would be out as the ceramic two-tone was a real plus point for me.

As has been said earlier, when the price was nearly £1000 then it needs to be pretty much perfect.

Regardless, thank to Kip and all involved in the process so far, I think herding the proverbial cats would have been easier!
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

albionphoto wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:42 pm If it goes to 40mm then I'm out. I would prefer a white dial, single colour bezel. But I can see which way the wind is blowing regarding size so I will declare myself out too.
I'm with you :thumbup:

Dave
3 CW ladies for my wife.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Based on the responses here and the status of commitment going into this thread. I can see no reason to pursue this particular FLE design.

While I do understand the reasons that some would think that the aluminum bezel is a step backwards despite the price reduction, the ultimate goal was to get a good looking watch. I personally would have preferred the ceramic bezel, but the aluminum would still be a great look. As to hesitancy about the aluminum being to fragile and easy to mark up, It has been used for years in the Tridents and is still used on the C65's. Perhaps it is the fear of unavailable replacements....

Regardless, unless I can be convinced otherwise this project, based on this design, is done.

That said...

If you would like to start over, that is okay. You can use any current models or one of the first 3 shown here.

I will be more than happy to guide us through the process.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Is there enough interest from people to start over? I’m sure that the option of using any of the current models (looking at you Military range) or the original PVD black or blue, if the process is done correctly, we can get something that 25 people will be happy with. Maybe we need to wipe the slate clean and start again with a model choice as per the last FLE? I’m thinking the size, plus COSC, of the military range would be popular?
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I would be keen on one of them
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

I’d be keen on number 1 or 2 posted in that thread by Kip.or any of the last 3 that now appear to be out.

Surely can’t be that hard to get 25 onboard?

How many brands give its fans an opportunity like this?

Cheers
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Toph wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:29 pm

Cheers
Oh it can be. Stick around, it can be fun :lol:
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

:lol: nothing like WIS being over particular :D
TigerChris wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:35 pm
Toph wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:29 pm

Cheers
Oh it can be. Stick around, it can be fun :lol:
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart