LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

FLE #8 - major changes

Post by Kip »

My apologies for delays in getting this info to you, but I was on a 2 week holiday. That plus working with CW trying to see what we could do with our existing design based on not meeting the minimum numbers required.

The 2 tone ceramic bezel option is no longer available to us in any size. It was never available in a 40mm and our window for the 42mm has closed due to minimum requirements. It would now would just be prohibitively expensive.

If this FLE is to move forward we need to make some adjustments. Our choices are to start all over using the designs I first posted here with some changes.

We could also start over with alternative models/designs.

We can accept the existing design, but go with a 2 tone aluminum bezel.

If we opt for the aluminum bezel it does a couple of things. It would certainly offer a unique look over any existing C60 MKIII. It gives us the option of voting on a 40 or 42mm size. It also will lower the FLE price to that of current regular line models (see pricing below). That would be a savings over the prior proposal of £80/$100.

Personally I have no issues with the aluminum bezel as it was used very successfully on the C60's from 2009 through 2015 and would provide a completely different look based on the 2 tone color proposal.

Before putting this to any kind of vote I think we should have some discussion as to what those of you who are interested in this FLE would like to do.

If you wish to move forward with the aluminum bezel we will need to decide on size (40/42), and sweep hand option (based on FLE poll #5)

Please discuss..

Here is what we are looking at based on our progress to date.

Proposed changes we are making from a standard C60 GMT MkIII are...

White dial (currently not available)
dial print
2 tone Aluminum bezel (Charcoal and like a silvery graphite)
Blackened hand set
Blackened indices
Red tip, Red tip including lume circle or all black sweep hand*
White GMT hand
Matching white date wheel
Applied device (twin flags)
Exhibition case back

* = To be determined

Trident GMT 600 - 40/42mm

Pricing;-

Current RRP is…
C60 MkIII GMT - strap £895 ($1015)
C60 MkIII GMT - bracelet £995 ($1135)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
addi564
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 12

Re: FLE #8 - major changes

Post by addi564 »

personally happy with an aluminium 2 tone and a vote on its size

That said if people want to start over and look at other base models great let's see where it takes us. If I like I am sure I will get on board. If i don't like the direction I can rule myself out.

whatever us decided I really hope we have the numbers to move it forward

Thanks Kip for keeping this alive and going through all the hassle that comes with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

C60 Trident 38mm on rubber and GMT on bracelet
C6 Kingfisher black dial on rubber and white dial on bracelet
C5 FLE and C3 FLE
C65 Vintage on bracelet
Tag Heuer F1 Calibre 5
Breitling Superocean 42
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

For me the loss of the ceramic bezel is quite a big deal, but the subsequent reduction in price might make squaring it with the FD a bit easier. Another plus is the flexibility with size as it might bring the numbers up. (My preference is 42mm but I would still go with 40mm)

So I'll stick my hand up as a tentative yes - keep the current proposal, but with aluminium bezel, rather than being a definite as I was previously.

All of this too....
addi564 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:37 pm

That said if people want to start over and look at other base models great let's see where it takes us. If I like I am sure I will get on board. If i don't like the direction I can rule myself out.

whatever us decided I really hope we have the numbers to move it forward

Thanks Kip for keeping this alive and going through all the hassle that comes with it.

SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

Thanks for the update Kip! I can understand the reasons behind moving to an aluminium bezel due to a lack of numbers and prohbitive cost on a small run.

I think its a massive step backwards in terms of durability. Personally I wouldn't buy one with an aluminium bezel. Far too easily marked and most likely be impossible to get a replacement one if needed, on down the line.

C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I'm done, I don't like the look of Al on a modern chunky watch and that plus the likelihood of reducing to 40mm is too much compromise. But many thanks to Kip for organising and I wish everybody going forward a congenial outcome.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I personally like aluminium bezels and the look they give compared to ceramic. If they are good enough for Tudor to use on their Black Bays then they are good enough for CW to use on a Trident is my opinion. I could step back into being interested depending on the direction others want to go. It'll come as no surprise to anyone that I'd be in favour of starting the process again, using the original base models supplied by Kip, to bring the blue back into play.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

I personally don’t have a problem with an aluminum bezel although, I would assume that the aluminum option would impact the ability to apply lume to the numerals as currently on the ceramic gmt’s? This may have a larger impact on my decision.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I'm gonna have to say a big no to the aluminum bezel. I'm a traditionalist and I feel they look great on vintage-inspired pieces. But the new Trident is far from that and very modern all-around. After recently seeing other companies make two-tone ceramics it just feels like a step back in 2019.

I'm starting to think it's best to start from scratch on this FLE. The reason is there weren't as many people interested in it as there were for prior ones, and I don't think bringing it to 40mm is going to bring THAT many people in. Remember that the Scooter/Jaguar of 2012 brought in 100 people and that was 42mm. Nothing close to that in the interest of this year's FLE and this is a better watch in quality.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

An Al bezel would count me out I'm afraid. Shame we didn't have a final vote so those who were split with small red tip vs lollipop red tip could have made over 25. Still never mind.
thumperstain
CW-watches: 7

Post by thumperstain »

I wasn't a fan of the final designs, but would come back in if the project was rebooted.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

It was the 2 tone ceramic that was the lure for me, so it's a no for the current design with alu insert.

As others have stated, perhaps a reboot is the best course of action.
Ryan
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Andy-Smith wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:46 pm An Al bezel would count me out I'm afraid. Shame we didn't have a final vote so those who were split with small red tip vs lollipop red tip could have made over 25. Still never mind.
I thought the terms of Poll #5 were quite clear - vote for any you would buy?

None of the options reached 25.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Markornot wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:38 pm I personally don’t have a problem with an aluminum bezel although, I would assume that the aluminum option would impact the ability to apply lume to the numerals as currently on the ceramic gmt’s? This may have a larger impact on my decision.
The recently released Dartmouth has an aluminium bezel that has lumed numbers and markers so presumably this could be done on a FLE bezel.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Mikkei4 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:19 pm
Markornot wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:38 pm I personally don’t have a problem with an aluminum bezel although, I would assume that the aluminum option would impact the ability to apply lume to the numerals as currently on the ceramic gmt’s? This may have a larger impact on my decision.
The recently released Dartmouth has an aluminium bezel that has lumed numbers and markers so presumably this could be done on a FLE bezel.
If going back to square one, the Dartmouth would be a good base model to start with.

How about tidying the dial (smaller minute markers), numbers at 3,6,9 and 12 and a date complication.

Possibly a dial and bezel colour swap, I'm thinking along the lines of the new Plant Ocean.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

If it has to be an aluminium bezel does it have to be the C60 Trident?

The C65 GMT has a dual colour bezel in Pepsi colours already so how about a white dialled C65 with the black or grey/silver bezel?
Lume it like the Dartmouth bezel.
Size wise it sits between the 40 and 42 so might suit more people?
The black date dial would like fine.
The existing C65 GMT has a red and an orange GMT hand in the range so either could be used.

Personally for me, until I see the final design, I wouldn't commit to buy unless the name logo and flags swapped places (which will never happen) but I'd like to see a final design.
MarkingTime wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:37 pm If going back to square one, the Dartmouth would be a good base model to start with.

How about tidying the dial (smaller minute markers), numbers at 3,6,9 and 12 and a date complication.
I would imagine that this would be too much of a dial re-design to be considered?