My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Post by MarkingTime »

Bellefield wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:24 am Ah, it looks like I may have made a mistake in just ordering the C65 automatic. Don't get me wrong, as its only 150m rated and doesn't have a screw down crown, I was never going to take it diving, I have proper dive watches for that, but I did want a robust every day watch that looked good and could take a few knocks if necessary and I could go swimming with or even leave on in the shower.

I have several watches, most of which I wear on a regular basis, but wanted to add a casual daily watch that I didn't have to worry about and could take on holiday with me, go snorkeling or swimming in the sea / pool. Now I am worried it will be flooded the first time I take it in the water.

Does anyone have any GOOD experiences of taking the C65 automatic into the sea? Could it be just a few bad apples or are they all pretty much unfit for purpose?
I'd say the most likely cause of water ingress is user error.
If you wear the watch incorrectly and below the wrist bone, the crown will often come into contact with the back of the hand. Not only does this present the possibility of disturbing the crown when in the water, but can also put additional stresses on the bracelet or strap pins, causing accelerated wear.
A correctly adjusted watch worn above the wrist bone removes the possibility of the watch coming into contact with the back of your hand.
I'd buy it and enjoy it, if it leaks send it back under warranty for repair. Too nice a watch to pass up on the spurious idea that it isn't watertight.
bricktop

Post by bricktop »

I'd beg to differ on your opinion because I'm not sure there's a correct and incorrect to wear a watch.
Whether it be above or below the wrist bone is surely down to the wearer rather than an applied science.
nburgess
Guru
Guru

Post by nburgess »

I would have to agree with MarkingTime in as such that the C65 has a relatively large crown, which would rub against the back of the hand, causing unwanted stress on it - had it been worn too loose. That would surely cause issues after time.
However, I'm not saying the user wore it incorrectly. He could've just been unlucky with that particular watch.
I have a C65 but choose not to go swimming with it. I must admit, this thread has some part in my decision, but mostly because I find it too nice a watch to get all scratched up in a pool/beach. I take my trusty Seiko for that - it also has no screw down crown and suffers no issues with water ingress (so far..). However, if it did, I wouldn't lose as much as sleep over it.
Neil
Bellefield

Post by Bellefield »

Hi All, the watch arrived today and it looks amazing, really chuffed with it. I'll keep it and see how I get on with it in the wet (and living on the Isle of Man it gets wet here a lot!).
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

bricktop wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 pm I'd beg to differ on your opinion because I'm not sure there's a correct and incorrect to wear a watch.
Whether it be above or below the wrist bone is surely down to the wearer rather than an applied science.
You could wear your watch on your ankle if you'd prefer, but a wristwatch was always designed to be worn above the wrist bone.

There are many examples of peoples unique ideas of how to wear various items of clothing, doesn't make it the convention though. Back to front baseball cap and jeans are but two examples and there's usually good reason for things being designed the way they are.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Always thought it funny that most (not all) crowns that need the protection, ie those that do not screw down, do not come in cases with crown protectors. Those that need less protection, the screw in models, are usually found in cases with crown protectors.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
bricktop

Post by bricktop »

MarkingTime wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:40 pm
bricktop wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:23 pm I'd beg to differ on your opinion because I'm not sure there's a correct and incorrect to wear a watch.
but a wristwatch was always designed to be worn above the wrist bone.

Do you have a bona fide info source for that ?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

I'm pretty sure it boils down to how tight one is comfortable with keeping the strap. Worn loosely, as I prefer, the watch will obviously slip down over the wrist bone, and become more vulnerable. A good way to at least bend a spring bar. The main reason I have switched to elastic on most of my sport models.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
earl_fabella1981

Post by earl_fabella1981 »

Same issue, i just emailed them yesterday about the same problem.. i hope i get a better response.

IMG_20210504_213809.jpg
IMG_20210504_213840.jpg
IMG_20210504_213903.jpg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Thu May 06, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attached photos 'Placed in Line' - https://www.christopherwardforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55242
Deks
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 23

Post by Deks »

Keep us informed Earl. I wear my C65 GMT in the bath with the rubber strap. I have had no issues whatsoever to date but am a little worried doing this now in case their is an inherent design fault with the watch
kidevil
CW-watches: 2

Post by kidevil »

Sorry to hear about your experience. CW is usually quite good with warranty repair.

Personally I would never go in the pool let alone the sea with any mechanical watches, unless it says Divers on the dial . Here is an article about what WR rating really means:

https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a463 ... explained/
MichaelMD
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by MichaelMD »

Wow, sorry to see this Earl. Keep us updated along the way if you don't mind. Hopefully they will make this right for you.
earl_fabella1981

Post by earl_fabella1981 »

I had the same problem and im updating the forum, i sent it out in may of 2021, i have yet to receive it, they stated it was in their shop being attended to by one of their technicians and would be giving me a heads up as to when they'd be sending the watch back to me. Which of course damage was not covered under warranty and i had to pay for repairs out of pocket. This is was my first and last purchase with this company.
Surf609nj

Post by Surf609nj »

kidevil wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:17 am Sorry to hear about your experience. CW is usually quite good with warranty repair.

Personally I would never go in the pool let alone the sea with any mechanical watches, unless it says Divers on the dial . Here is an article about what WR rating really means:

https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a463 ... explained/
Isn’t the c65 a dive watch? What about the c60. So far so good with the c60 in the ocean for me.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Deks wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:38 am Keep us informed Earl. I wear my C65 GMT in the bath with the rubber strap. I have had no issues whatsoever to date but am a little worried doing this now in case their is an inherent design fault with the watch
Hi, from a WR perspective it should of course be fine, issue with Bath or Shower can (not necessarily) be combination of heat and soaps which can impact rubber seals over time (less chance with a screw down crown). Thats what a reputable watchmaker told me anyway 🙄
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands