My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Post by what-time-is-it »

Let's see what the CW chiefs have to say, but it seems to me common sense and problem solving no longer exist at CW, with the overall company stance no longer doing the right thing for the customer and more of a focus on the companies P&L.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

peterh wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm
UNIONmagazine wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm Fingers crossed that reason prevails. The problem is I do not want the watch back that has had it's internals soaking in sea water for at least two weeks.
I can imagine.
But frankly, if it's been soaking in salt water for two weeks, who allowed that to happen?

Seriously: this puzzles me. I'd have rinsed it, and then leave it in a bin with fresh water, as soon as possible. It may be advisable to delete that answer today. I'll keep an eye on it, and delete mine if that happens.
Once quoted a post will remain even if deleted.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

That's why I'll remove my quote.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

peterh wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:49 pm That's why I'll remove my quote.
You are perfectly entitled to do that, Peter.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

UNIONmagazine wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm Fingers crossed that reason prevails. The problem is I do not want the watch back that has had it's internals soaking in sea water for at least two weeks.
I can imagine.
But frankly, if it's been soaking in salt water for two weeks, who allowed that to happen?

Seriously: this puzzles me. I'd have rinsed it, and then leave it in a bin with fresh water, as soon as possible. It may be advisable to delete that answer today. I'll keep an eye on it, and delete mine if that happens.
I alerted CW straight away of the damage and they didn't mention soaking the watch in fresh water. It would be unreasonable to expect a laymen to know that this wold be a reasonable take, especially when we were moving on a road trip . They also knew I wolud be in California for another twelve days or so.
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 pm Let's see what the CW chiefs have to say, but it seems to me common sense and problem solving no longer exist at CW, with the overall company stance no longer doing the right thing for the customer and more of a focus on the companies P&L.
I concur.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

UNIONmagazine wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:05 pm I alerted CW straight away of the damage and they didn't mention soaking the watch in fresh water. It would be unreasonable to expect a laymen to know that this wold be a reasonable take, especially when we were moving on a road trip . They also knew I wolud be in California for another twelve days or so.
OK, I see. My wife wouldn't know this either, but I'd have expected a watch lover to know this.
Your first point of contact with CS will never be an engineer. Much rather it'll be a phone operator who is stressed enough as it is. In a real boutique operation, you might get the owner, or another knowledgeable guy, but CW is past the "mom & pop shop" stage.

Anyway. Next time you take your watch (ANY watch) into the sea: rinse it (under normal circumstances only on the outside please...) thoroughly with fresh water afterwards, as soon as possible.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

what-time-is-it wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:19 pm Let's see what the CW chiefs have to say, but it seems to me common sense and problem solving no longer exist at CW, with the overall company stance no longer doing the right thing for the customer and more of a focus on the companies P&L.
Maybe this turn is in relation to the new investors coming on board?
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

I can imagine.

You could soak the watch in angels tears for all the good it would do. The salt will be in the movement and it will need to be stripped to flush it out. In fact, it would be far easier and more cost effective to junk the internals altogether and start afresh in the original case.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

MarkingTime wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 pmYou could soak the watch in angels tears for all the good it would do. The salt will be in the movement and it will need to be stripped to flush it out. In fact, it would be far easier and more cost effective to junk the internals altogether and start afresh in the original case.
I am talking about the original case, and about the bracelet! You and I and most everyone else here know that the movement is a goner. Fixing that would be way more expensive than just dropping a new one in.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Always good practice to rinse off a watch if immersed in salt water, even stainless will corrode eventually, it will certainly stain.

Hopefully the OP will get this resolved to his satisfaction, a passed pressure test (if one were carried out) might complicate things somewhat though.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

As an owner of several watches, I wouldn't have known to rinse/do anything if not instructed to.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

jtc wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:58 pm As an owner of several watches, I wouldn't have known to rinse/do anything if not instructed to.
This has often been the advise for cameras also if they've been dropped into salty water. Also while searching for a sports watch that could be used for pool swimming I read suggestions that they are rinsed in tap water to wash off the chemicals used in swimming pool water.

Whether it makes any difference or would save any damage to the movement of a mechanical watch that has let in water I have no idea but if I wore 1 of my divers watches in a pool or the sea I'd place it in tap water afterwards to remove as much salt or chemicals as possible from the external surfaces.
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

peterh wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:32 pm
UNIONmagazine wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:05 pm I alerted CW straight away of the damage and they didn't mention soaking the watch in fresh water. It would be unreasonable to expect a laymen to know that this wold be a reasonable take, especially when we were moving on a road trip . They also knew I wolud be in California for another twelve days or so.
OK, I see. My wife wouldn't know this either, but I'd have expected a watch lover to know this.
Your first point of contact with CS will never be an engineer. Much rather it'll be a phone operator who is stressed enough as it is. In a real boutique operation, you might get the owner, or another knowledgeable guy, but CW is past the "mom & pop shop" stage.

Anyway. Next time you take your watch (ANY watch) into the sea: rinse it (under normal circumstances only on the outside please...) thoroughly with fresh water afterwards, as soon as possible.
I'm not a "watch Lover". I just appreciate a quality product.

"Anyway. Next time you take your watch (ANY watch) into the sea: rinse it (under normal circumstances only on the outside please...) thoroughly with fresh water afterwards, as soon as possible" - The watch was full of watyer before I left the surf.
cl11

Post by cl11 »

i have my C60 for 2 years now. Since 2 months ago, I have been going to the pool every Saturday with my infant for a 20 mins swimming lesson, wearing the C60. after the lesson, i would just shower with warm water wearing the c60, and holding my infant. i don't take special care of my c60. perhaps i'm naive, but I expect a 600m water resistant level watch should hold up with such underwhelming water activity.
-Charles

CW C60 Trident Pro 600
ventura v-matic EGO (2019 version)