Discuss Christopher Ward watches
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Trident Elite 1000 LE - running slowly - advice please

Post by what-time-is-it »

DavecUK wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:41 am
what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am Probably just a mistake - but the Ombre that I returned (model released late 2018) had a COSC certificate dated from 2015 2014! :shock:
That can be perfectly normal....it's only the movement that is certified minus hands, face rotor and often date wheel/function. They are not certified after casing, although Rolex do their own extensive checks after casing a watch. Most of my service time was because of these checks.

The movements can then be stored in a climate controlled cabinet (in little plastic boxes) until required. It's pulled out, dial hands and rotor placed on, cased, possibly (hopefully) time checked in 5 positions and then the back put on. That movement might have been assembled years before and part of a large tested batch. Don't for a minute think just because the movement has sat in a cabinet for 5 years that they are going to take it apart, clean, re-oil and reassemble it....that's not going to happen.

Please don't ever think the movement in your watch was COSC and cased just before you got it....although relatively high volume Sellita COSC movements might well be fairly new. It's also why the service intervals are...well I've said my bit about those.
You make a valid point, but in my experience of CW's that are COSC the certificate will be anything from 3-12 months prior to the sale date on new models. Obviously on old end of line stuff then you expect them to be old. As mentioned I'm sure it was a mistake and it's irrelevant now as I returned it, but my hunch in my case would be the certificate was not the correct document for the movement inside the watch.

If it's 5 years earlier - then it'll need a service. :lol:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by IanKelly63 »

I was so disappointed with my watch back in September 2019, that I have not worn it since.

Until last week, when I was messing about with straps.

It's running at +1 per day now... which is more than acceptable.

Who knew that automatics could be so quirky?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

CW x 3
Others...
Casio x 8,Citizen x 2,Coen Anders x 1,Hamilton x 3,Ingersoll x 1,Junghans x 2,
Marloe x 2,Orient x 1,Rotary x 1,Seiko x 3,Swatch x 1,Tissot x 2
NeWard
Senior
Senior

Post by NeWard »

IanKelly63 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 pm I was so disappointed with my watch back in September 2019, that I have not worn it since.

glad it worked out for you... my newly brought c65 diver came in running 13-14 secs fast during the first wound and im saddened by it deeply
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

NeWard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:05 pm
IanKelly63 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 pm I was so disappointed with my watch back in September 2019, that I have not worn it since.

glad it worked out for you... my newly brought c65 diver came in running 13-14 secs fast during the first wound and im saddened by it deeply
This gives you some hope though right!
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

NeWard wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:05 pmglad it worked out for you... my newly brought c65 diver came in running 13-14 secs fast during the first wound and im saddened by it deeply
May I ask why you would be deeply saddened by a watch that is running within spec please?
Nel692

Post by Nel692 »

Just checked my Cosc certificate for c60 day/date. Ordered mine early July 2017, Cosc certificate dated 10/07/17 and watch delivered late July. Watch is running at +1 second per day 3 years on. Happy with that.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Just an observation. Slow is a real.pain compared with running fast. If it's fast, just hack the movement and wait for it to catch up. If it's slow, you have to go to all the palaver of changing the time, making sure the minute hand is accurately placed, and then waiting for the synchronization to come round. Much more effort.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

IanKelly63 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:29 pm Hi There,

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an Elite 1000 ('#288). However, when I received it, it was running some 11/12s slow per day. I advised CW right away, and I waited a few weeks before returning the watch to see if it might settle down. It didn't, so I sent it in to be regulated.

I go the watch back last week. It is not as slow as it was, but is still losing 6/7s per day.

This is a COSC certified watch, and should run at between -4 and +6 per day. Why would CW return it when it is still very clearly not running as per specification? I shouldn't have to send it back to CW for exactly the same reason I sent it to them in the first place.

What would you advise? Am I being to 'anal' about this whole COSC thing?

Ian
Hello Ian,

Perhaps this post might be helpful for an explanation.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54638
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Gripper
Senior
Senior

Post by Gripper »

My Trident Elite 1000 LE, also purchased as NN last month, is also running slow, currently 15 seconds over 24 hour period :thumbdown: Awaiting a response from CW.
Mark
So I went to buy a watch, and the man in the shop said "Analogue." I said "No, just a watch."