Slight QC issue, need advice please

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Re: Slight QC issue, need advice please

Post by DavecUK »

The key issue here is not that the indices are misaligned per se...because the 60/60 allows the recipient to return, refund and repurchase, problem easily solved from the customer side. The real issue is that it is properly raised in CW so that the watches are not sent out like this in the first place.

The big danger of catch and return is that a mechanistic process gets followed in CW and the issue never gets flagged up properly. Whereas an exchange probably flags the reason up with more visibility.

This sort of error simply costs CW profit and they end up making little or no profit on the eventual watch sale. Even worse the customer probably wasn't delighted and only feels they finally got what they paid for even when it is sorted out.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

DavecUK wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:31 pm The key issue here is not that the indices are misaligned per se...because the 60/60 allows the recipient to return, refund and repurchase, problem easily solved from the customer side. The real issue is that it is properly raised in CW so that the watches are not sent out like this in the first place.

The big danger of catch and return is that a mechanistic process gets followed in CW and the issue never gets flagged up properly. Whereas an exchange probably flags the reason up with more visibility.

This sort of error simply costs CW profit and they end up making little or no profit on the eventual watch sale. Even worse the customer probably wasn't delighted and only feels they finally got what they paid for even when it is sorted out.
If CW want to profit they need to pull the finger out and up their game. They shouldn't be selling watches for more than £200 if they're going to continue to send things out looking like that.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:50 pmIf CW want to profit they need to pull the finger out and up their game. They shouldn't be selling watches for more than £200 if they're going to continue to send things out looking like that.
I agree a watch like that should never be sent out, in fact I am baffled about how it can happen.
Emjay

Post by Emjay »

Hi guys,

an update from me how this resolved:

I opted for sending it back first and then reordering, because at that moment per their homepage they had a preorder wait of like 2 weeks and I didn't want to have over 2 grand in limbo somewhere.
I wrote them an email stating the fault of the otherwise lovely watch (pic included), telling them I will use the online form and that I'd like a replacement with perfectly aligned markers. If that's not possible I'd like a refund per 60/60. I then used the online form and stated the fault and that they should reference my email.
A few days later I got a response asking for my address for the return instructions... They had my address from the purchase and from the online form I filled out a few days earlier, but whatever. Also, that was like the whole message, I'd at least expected some kind of "We're sorry for the fault, this shouldn't ..." I got the return instructions, filled it out stating the fault and that I'd like an exchange.
Yesterday I got an email thanking me for the return and that their technicians found no faults with the watch and that it is within tolerance, asking how I wish to proceed.
Today I opted for the refund (which is already on the way) but I decided that I will not reorder and take my business elsewhere. I'm disappointed.

Fun fact that played into my decision not to repurchase: At the same time as this came up my wife's wooden watch with Miyota quarz movement stopped working. I contacted the company on a Sunday, they got back to me on Monday apologizing twice, once for the fault and once for the trouble I'm having. They told me to send it back to them (I immediately received a label) and I brought the watch and the C65 to the post office the same day. On Friday that week I had a brand new watch in hands. Sure, it's a 100€ watch, but that's customer service.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Emjay wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am Yesterday I got an email thanking me for the return and that their technicians found no faults with the watch and that it is within tolerance, asking how I wish to proceed.
Today I opted for the refund (which is already on the way) but I decided that I will not reorder and take my business elsewhere. I'm disappointed.
I find the response from CW incomprehensible? I don't think anyone would blame you for deciding to take your business elsewhere.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

and I'm afraid it's responses like this, that gain so much traction on the forum.

from the website:
Unrivalled Customer Care

We have an unashamedly old-fashioned approach to customer service that eschews platitudes and relies on kindness, respect, courtesy and common sense. It’s borne of an acknowledgement that our success is entirely dependent on your satisfaction and delight. And that’s what we aim for every time.

We introduced our famous 60:60 Guarantee so you can buy with complete confidence and our approach to excellent service and great value extends to our service and repairs programme which will keep your Christopher Ward watch in tip top condition during a lifetime of precision timekeeping.

If we get things wrong we aim to put them right quickly with the minimum of fuss and hassle for you. And if ever you are unhappy or frustrated with our service you can contact one of the three of us, the founders of the business, at the email addresses below and be sure one or more of us will help you with your problem.

Chris.ward@christopherward.co.uk
Mike.france@christopherward.co.uk
Peter.ellis@christopherward.co.uk
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

To be clear, I am not a hater. Just a value conscious watch enthusiast, and so far a very satisfied customer. But this makes me think they are so swamped at this point no one even looked at the watch and this is just a canned response. Apparently, no oversight by anyone in management, and a bunch of unenthusiastic employees. Very sad. :cry:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Emjay wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am

Fun fact that played into my decision not to repurchase: At the same time as this came up my wife's wooden watch with Miyota quarz movement stopped working. I contacted the company on a Sunday, they got back to me on Monday apologizing twice, once for the fault and once for the trouble I'm having. They told me to send it back to them (I immediately received a label) and I brought the watch and the C65 to the post office the same day. On Friday that week I had a brand new watch in hands. Sure, it's a 100€ watch, but that's customer service.
2 days ago I bought a quartz Seiko for my wife, see Bargain Hunters thread. Arrived today, not running. NOS, I assume. Covered in cellophane etc. Anyway, I rang company, guy said he had another and to be sure it’s ok he was putting a new battery in. Then sending it out today together with the return packaging for first one. Should be here tomorrow. That’s some turn around. Especially sending replacement before receipt of faulty one. Good CS.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Emjay wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 am Hi guys,

an update from me how this resolved:

I opted for sending it back first and then reordering, because at that moment per their homepage they had a preorder wait of like 2 weeks and I didn't want to have over 2 grand in limbo somewhere.
I wrote them an email stating the fault of the otherwise lovely watch (pic included), telling them I will use the online form and that I'd like a replacement with perfectly aligned markers. If that's not possible I'd like a refund per 60/60. I then used the online form and stated the fault and that they should reference my email.
A few days later I got a response asking for my address for the return instructions... They had my address from the purchase and from the online form I filled out a few days earlier, but whatever. Also, that was like the whole message, I'd at least expected some kind of "We're sorry for the fault, this shouldn't ..." I got the return instructions, filled it out stating the fault and that I'd like an exchange.
Yesterday I got an email thanking me for the return and that their technicians found no faults with the watch and that it is within tolerance, asking how I wish to proceed.

It is so disappointing that the outcome was that CW thought the standard of this was ok and did not deserve a replacement. After recent debate about negativity on the forum and hints that issues should or could not be allowed to be posted I think this is a prime example or why they should be.

The clear image of the misaligned indices provides complete evidence of the problem although likely rare and the response from CW serves as a warning that whilst their standards can be exceeding high and unrivaled in terms of value for money it can also be terrible and indefensible. I love the look of some of the new models but have a massive concern although slim, there is still a chance that the purchase experience could bring stress rather than pleasure and that even if the issue is clear CW would still believe that it isn’t and I’d have to effectively buy a watch twice to get a decent one.

Sorry for your experience.