Slight QC issue, need advice please

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Emjay

Slight QC issue, need advice please

Post by Emjay »

Hi guys,

I've been a silent reader of this forum and have been following CW for a few months now and was waiting for the right model for me to arrive in order to make my first CW purchase (despite the QC horror stories here :lol: ).
After closely eyeing the C60 mk3 and patiently waiting for the blue one to be announced in 40mm, I was rather surprised that with the new releases the C65 Ombre has caught my immediate attention. I slept a few night over it and finally ordered it, hoping I would not have to open a thread here. And yet here I am. :?

It arrived yesterday and I must say I was in awe, what a beautiful watch! :o But before even unwrapping the plastic I noticed that something was a bit off on the dial. The two 12 o clock markers are not perfectly aligned, the right one sits an ounce above the left one. I checked from different angles to see if it was a distortion from the crystal, but no. Today I consulted the wife and without telling her what the problem was she said something was not right with the 12 o clock markers, so it's there. I'll try to upload a picture for you to see it.

The question at hand is, is this within tolerance? And with tolerable I mean, I'll be sending it back on the 60/60, but am I in danger of receiving a watch with the same flaw when I order a new one?

Whats my best course of action? Is this easily repairable or should I opt for a new one? I really like the watch and it pains me to send it back but, and for some this may sound pedantic, it's a small error but once I see something like that I cannot unsee it, and thus will not be 100% happy with the watch itself and not happy to show it off to watch friends.

As I see it my options are:
1) Send it back on 60/60 and order another one after refund, stating at the order that I do not want serial number X
2) Contact CS and describe the problem, state that I will send it back and ask them to immediately send another watch without refunding
3) Contact CS and describe the problem, asking to repair

I'm heavily leaning towards 2. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.

Edit: of course uploading the pic didn't work. :D
I'll just post the imgur link, maybe I'll find out how to embed it. https://imgur.com/kQDSALQ

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Slight QC issue, need advice please

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Fixed the image for you, though you might need a better picture. I suggest posting as an attachment.

Welcome to the forum.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Option 1, not worth the hassle of organising an exchange in my opinion and hopefully the 2nd watch will be ok - if not send them both back!

If you can order before returning the first, so you won't get the original watch back.

Your markers are poo(r) and not acceptable imho.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Send an absolutely clear image showing the markers not aligned, clearer than the one you have done if you can and be exactly straight on to the face. Explain clearly that you like the "Ombre whatever" you have purchased but wish to exchange it for another because of this issue. If they start talking about a repair, then you can calmly explain that you could invoke the 60/60 and then repurchase, but this would be much more involved. A repair would be totally inappropriate on a new watch.

Should the customer service rep you speak to not quite understand, then ask to speak to the customer service manager about what needs to be done. Keep calm, explain clearly. It should be a no brainer for them to send you a return pack and to ship another watch out when they get yours back.

I can't see you having any problem with this, just don't wear the watch.

Even on this photo I can see they are misaligned and I cannot see how it can be in tolerance, it's also not something that can be a result of ageing on any normal watch so the fact the watch dial has been aged is neither here nor there.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Yep, just return for a replacement. Hopefully you'll have a new one in no time!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bounce
Guru
Guru

Post by Bounce »

I personally would order a new one now, then when it arrives send the imperfect one back, at least you know its not the same one.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrapMeister »

I seem to remember that when the original C60 Ombre came out that it had similar issues with indice alignment * :thumbdown:
...one would have hoped that a similar issue wouldn't happen again :silent:
There's no question (in my opinion) that this is not within tolerance and should be sent back for a replacement or refund.

* EDIT: Not all of them had issues but there must have been a batch of them.
I now own an original C60 Ombre which is perfect :thumbup:
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Sorry to hear this.

I'd contact customer service, explain the issue and they will send a returns pack - you will also be able to gauge their response and likely course of action. It will include a form asking you to select Refund, Replacement or Repair etc.

State that you would like a replacement but if they deem the watch not to be faulty then you would like a refund. Then re-order.
(I selected replacement but they just checked mine and just sent it back with no change or warning - so be clear!! Yours could never be deemed to be ok though so you should be safe...)

If you don't want to wait, re-order now whilst the return takes place. As others have said - Do not wear it.

Good luck.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I can see the markers not in alignment from the picture. Hope you get a new one ASAP.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Emjay

Post by Emjay »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I think I'll be reordering a second one and when I get a shipping notice, I'll send that one back for a refund. I would've loved the serial number tho. Does anyone know, are they sent randomly or in ascending numerical order? If second, they have not sold much of them. :D

Is it possible to specify why I'm sending it back? I'd really want them to know what the fault is in my opinion, maybe they'll fix it before sending it to some other poor guy/gal.
Laird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 66

Post by Laird »

Random sequence.
|C70s|C7 BB, IRR, BRG, RC, Hornet, Valjoux|C3 GT|C4 Phoenix|C40 SpeedHawk|C5 BoB, Aviator|C8 Pilots*3, UTC & AD|C60 316L Y, O, B, GMT, DD Valjoux|C65 316LE,Classic LE, DT LE, 2VEV|C1 WT|C9 Pulse, JH2, AMGT, SSH21|C11 HRDC & Makaira|
Tally
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by Tally »

I feel your pain, I had two c60 ombres that had wonky indices and was informed that they were within tolerance after the second one

I ended up being refunded in the end as they couldn't guarantee a third would not be the same...shame as I really liked it but it was too distracting.

I was tentatively looking at the C65 version and asked myself if they may have the same issue.... guess you've answered that question for me

Welcome to the forum too
Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

That looks terrible and I wouldn’t stand for that kind sort of sloppy work on a nice watch. I’d notice it every time I put it one.

Definitely get a new one. If that one also has sloppy workmanship I’d get a refund and shop around a bit.

Fingers crossed that the new plans MF has mentioned help get this fixed quickly and the first time.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Tally wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:22 pm I feel your pain, I had two c60 ombres that had wonky indices and was informed that they were within tolerance after the second one

I ended up being refunded in the end as they couldn't guarantee a third would not be the same...shame as I really liked it but it was too distracting.

I was tentatively looking at the C65 version and asked myself if they may have the same issue.... guess you've answered that question for me

Welcome to the forum too
That's quite frightening. They surely can't think that a defect like that is OK to just keep sending out!
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Bungle-ator wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:18 amThat's quite frightening. They surely can't think that a defect like that is OK to just keep sending out!
That's insane. If mine ever came in like that it'd be going right back. If other companies can have aligned markers then so should they; every time. If they can't then they need to switch it to one single marker at 12.

I'm looking at getting myself a C65 so I should hope it is OK. :?
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.