New acquisition. Now I can almost die in peace.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

New acquisition. Now I can almost die in peace.

Post by peterh »

Thanks to Danbailey007:
Danbailey007 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 pmNot sure if this is of interest - https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/p ... %20results
I sourced the one CW I've always regretted not having: a GWT C3 Malvern Chronograph Mk1.

In fact, the watch is currently a GWG, but I can take care of that by taking off the bracelet and fitting a tan strap to it. Now I thought that I could use the spare strap that I have for the C5, but no... the lug width is different (thanks for the Excel sheet, Kip!). So I'll have to find a suitable strap, but I think I've found a nice one:
https://www.horlogebanden.com/Hirsch-Cr ... Goudbruin/

All this didn't go by itself, as the shop didn't want to send abroad. Dave (deebr), who lives 14 miles west of the shop, kindly offered to go pick it up, but when I discovered that the shop is located in the town centre in a pedestrian-only area, I decided that this would take him at least a 30 mins detour... so no, let's not expect Dave to do that. ;-)
Luckily, I have some friends in Norfolk, who are willing to relay it through to me. So, this evening, I proceeded to the shop's ordering process, armed with my credit card, and took the jump.

This particular sample is from August 2008 or later -- the dial says "Swiss made". it will take its place as a dress watch. That place was previously occupied by the C5 GKG, but that's only a nice dress watch by night -- in daylight, it's actally just a little bit too shouty; the cream dial looks a lot nicer to my tastes, especially when combined with the gold case and the tan strap.

Those of you who have read my rants on the C5 know that I actually find the original (Mk1) C5 the most gorgeous, most individual, most serene CW ever. The C3 uses the almost same design language, but the Arabic numerals make it a little dressier. They fit nicely together in the same "collection".

The sad part, of course, is that this will be the only CW watch in my possession that never earned the title "watch of the year". But I think I can live with that. ;)

Again, my thanks to Dan Baily who pointed me to it, and to deebr for offering to help me out. :D

And my apologies to viognier, who has a similar watch for sale which I'm not going to jump on... sorry Lance! :oops:
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: New acquisition. Now I can almost die in peace.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well done on your acquisition, and isn’t it great to hear of people lending a hand here on the forum?

I totally agree about the original C5 and C3 watches – they are some of CW’s best designs. I have one of each and I think they are superb!
251B82B8-685D-4725-A60E-20A1577C2595.jpeg
FC49A487-923B-4AC2-A45F-80D6F828BB8F.jpeg
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

Congrats! I'm glad it all worked out in the end, I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

don't die before you get a chance to enjoy it!
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

Watch has been received, and immediately reshipped to me, by my friends in Norfolk.
Looking forward to re-strapping it, and making pretty pictures, next week.

Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)