sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: CW on social media

Post by sproughton »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm
Bungle-ator wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:46 pm
If something newsworthy doesn't deserve it's own thread then is it really newsworthy?
Fair point that
a) Who decides whether it's newsworthy?
b) it's not about hiding the info, it's about highlighting (potentially small) things that could be missed

There have been multiple occasions of people bemoaning missing out on something because they don't use Facebook or similar. If Guy continues to clip and link relevant CW posts in this thread then it's a great heads up for those that need it.

There's absolutely no downside and if something is headline newsworthy I'm sure it'll be picked up in its own thread.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thank you for all the compliments I have received, for getting this going and the posts I've made from Facebook and Instagram.

May I remind you all that I do not see this as a personal crusade to inform the uninformed. I see it as a group or team task, as I intimidated in my original post;-

"The answer, I believe, is for those forum members who are on social media and who keep tabs on what CW are up to, share the information they get with the rest of us." .

There will be times when I am not active on the forum, not many I grant you but there will be some, and it will be good to see the information still being posted.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Those that don't “do” social media can still see Christopher Ward Instagram posts without signing up (including the aforeposted Ombré story) by clicking the icon in the footer of the Christopher Ward page, or directly via https://www.instagram.com/chriswardlondon/
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:24 pm CW are fairly prolific on Social Media e.g. Facebook, Instagram etc. but it is known from various discussions in the past, that there is a notable proportion of Forum Members that prefer not to use these platforms.

The answer, I believe, is for those forum members who are on social media and who keep tabs on what CW are up to, share the information they get with the rest of us.

All we need to do is post details, a screenshot is probably the easiest way, of what CW are up to i.e. Events, new releases etc. for all to see.

Guy

Very much appreciated Guy, especially when they announce the Canadian GTG with the Founders!!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I've already given my Thank You to Guy for posting here the details of the CW Open Evenings that have only been posted on Instagram or Facebook before now. I wasn't expecting him or anybody else to do so - I had asked in 1 of the GTG threads if anybody knew about them and then made the effort and took the time to email CW direct and receive a quick response from Declan.

As other non-users of those 2 social media sites/apps (or whatever they should be called) have said it is our decision not to use them and IMO people should respect that and not be sarcastic about it.

If this Forum is "social media" then it could be argued or expected that CW Sales/Marketing department should treat it in the same way they treat Instagram and Facebook and post the same information here as well. After all this site is as independent of CW as much as Instagram and Facebook are.

Having read biggie_richus' post I have looked at Instagram and Facebook from the icons on the CW page and I can see the Open Evening information that I want via Facebook without signing up. That's all I ever wanted as I'm not 1 of the "can't be bothered" people mentioned on here and neither did I want to perplex anybody.

My apologies to TigerChris for ignoring his suggestion not to bite but I felt I could as he didn't follow his own advice :lol:
I hope to meet some of you at 1 of the forthcoming Open Evenings.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 pm My apologies to TigerChris for ignoring his suggestion not to bite but I felt I could as he didn't follow his own advice :lol:
This is the problem with forums. Written text can easily be read and misconstrued as aggressive and inflammatory all because it's offered a different opinion. I wasn't baiting anyone, just sharing my opinion. If it had been a conversation in the pub it wouldn't have been one of conflict as taken on here.
I can't just agree with something if it doesn't look right to me and I probably won't ignore it either (agree or offer no opinion doesn't work). This doesn't mean it's an argument though, it's merely conversation without the added aggression that the subconscious puts there when someone isn't in the same mind track.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Bungle-ator wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:08 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 pm My apologies to TigerChris for ignoring his suggestion not to bite but I felt I could as he didn't follow his own advice :lol:
This is the problem with forums. Written text can easily be read and misconstrued as aggressive and inflammatory all because it's offered a different opinion. I wasn't baiting anyone, just sharing my opinion. If it had been a conversation in the pub it wouldn't have been one of conflict as taken on here.
I can't just agree with something if it doesn't look right to me and I probably won't ignore it either (agree or offer no opinion doesn't work). This doesn't mean it's an argument though, it's merely conversation without the added aggression that the subconscious puts there when someone isn't in the same mind track.
Probably the post I’ve most agreed with on here for months, it sums up my thoughts exactly. 100% agree about written text. I’m constantly telling my staff to pick up the phone to deal with issues rather than use text messaging, for the same reason. 2 people can read the exact same message in 2 totally different ways. I know that sometimes my posts could be taken the wrong way due to how I tend to word things, but if you were sat in front of me and I said exactly the same thing as I post it’d be taken totally different as I can express myself a lot better face to face/verbally. Unfortunately, in the modern world, there are more means of communication than ever but the art of conversation seems to be dying.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:21 pm
My apologies to TigerChris for ignoring his suggestion not to bite but I felt I could as he didn't follow his own advice :lol:
Can I get away with a reply of ‘do as I say not as I do’ here mate? :lol: :lol:
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

If this Forum is "social media" then it could be argued or expected that CW Sales/Marketing department should treat it in the same way they treat Instagram and Facebook and post the same information here as well. After all this site is as independent of CW as much as Instagram and Facebook are.
I think the difference might be that CW have their own Instagram and FB pages that they can post to as they feel the need. They have complete control over those pages. To post on the forum, however, they would have to join as a member and post on here. They may be concerned they don't want to be seen as part of an independent forum where they can't control the message/responses etc. Just thinking out loud here as I may be way off base.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

mvlow wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:24 pm
I think the difference might be that CW have their own Instagram and FB pages that they can post to as they feel the need. They have complete control over those pages. To post on the forum, however, they would have to join as a member and post on here. They may be concerned they don't want to be seen as part of an independent forum where they can't control the message/responses etc. Just thinking out loud here as I may be way off base.
You may well be correct - I'm certainly not knowledgeable in these matters. There is a LOCK facility on a thread on here though so I don't know if that could be used for this purpose (?) to prevent responses to a CW post.
Bahnstormer_vRS

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:00 pm You may well be correct - I'm certainly not knowledgeable in these matters. There is a LOCK facility on a thread on here though so I don't know if that could be used for this purpose (?) to prevent responses to a CW post.

Wouldn't work in the manner that I believe you are thinking Mike.

When a topic/thread gets 'Locked' on the forum it is exactly that, 'Locked' with no-one being able to post. The only way to post would be for the topic to be 'unlocked', post made and then 'locked' again.

Lock and unlock may only be done by a member of The Admin Team.

Not a viable solution.

Guy

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Guy - Thanks for clarifying that.
Bahnstormer_vRS

Guy

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Slightly off topic but...
Germany also had white as its racing color but this was after the Gordon Bennett cup had finished. I wonder if CW should acknowledge wikipedia for this Instagram...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ng_colours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Bahnstormer_vRS

A bit more detail from Instagram on the C3 GT BRG

Guy