QC Issues C9 Chronometer - Excellent Resolution by Mike France

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Re: QC Issues C9 Chronometer - Excellent Resolution by Mike France

Post by DavecUK »

Warning...long post (but I felt it only fair to make it)

A final update from me on this. I reached out to Mike primarily because I was not sure the customer service processes would sufficiently inform him of the problem and clearly there needed to be a few changes on processes. I am sure Mike has far more important things to do than respond to customers directly when an QC issue happens and I for one would like him to be doing those more important things. CS people need to be empowered to deal with all issues appropriately and flag up more serious ones so that no customer ever feels they need to contact Mike.

There were various solutions discussed by me/mike for this problem, ultimately they boiled down to the 3 below and a satisfaction rating in brackets:

1. Refund (poor, would be disappointed)
2. Movement Swap and a wait (below average, would always look at the watch and remember the experience)
3. Return it and get an alternative watch I identified at and agreed discount (delighted, will remember the experience in a positive way)

After explaining to Mike how I would feel about each of the options I identified the watch below (me to pay the extra). It's a watch that I feel is the most beautiful and desirable watch they have made to date, especially as the logo for me is in the right position, plus no screw down crown thank god. I don't actually dive so far better to have a pressure seal crown not a screw in. I am old fashioned and love the 50s/60s vintage aesthetic for a watch that can be equally comfortable in a suit or a pair of jeans. A timeless design that also tells the time with an in house movement. Every time I wear it and look at it there will be a positive memory rather than a negative one. A watch I can wear often unlike my (now sold) not worn for 12 years time capsule fully refurbished Rolex and AP which my kids were never interested in inheriting until they realised with shock that they were worth a considerable amount of money

A beautiful watch that's all for me to enjoy and actually wear. Something I won't feel the need to sell just before it needs a service. Watches I buy are considered purchases, the only two watches I sold, I owned from new for nearly 25 years. The C65 I expect to keep a lifetime...hopefully a long one. I collect it tomorrow and greatly look forward to it.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c65-t ... -sh21-le-1
Trident SH21 LE.JPG
To conclude, Mike resolved it in a quality way. Sure there is some lost profit but with no pain comes no change. CW have shown that they are serious about making themselves a high quality brand. Can they do this and still remain excellent value, I don't know.They have the SH21 to back them up, something I was keen to have, it's a big movement, but I actually like that, stronger easier to work on and no compromises to make it really thin. Also something that is probably lost on people just getting into mechanical watches, the SH21 is a movement that is chronometer certifiable out of the box. Usually only improved variations of other manufacturers' movement will pass the COSC certification tests.

I always said I had faith that it would be resolved well. Companies do want customers to be satisfied and people running these companies rarely lie about what they are trying to do. Seems like CW are on the right path.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Thank you for the update. That is the right outcome and well done to CW for stepping up and making it right for you.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Really pleased for you, Dave, that this had been resolved in such a positive way. Congratulations on the new C65, it's a beauty, and well done on your patience throughout the ordeal. And well done to Mike too for allowing you your preferred resolution.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
groovin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by groovin »

Really good news that this got resolved for you Dave and I am hopeful that the QC and CS changes are on the right path and also hope that other customers, that didn't share your initiative to personally email Mike France and had the fortunate chance, for exactly this case to be raised in a high profile discussion with the owners during the past event, will experience the same type of customer oriented satisfying solutions that we are accustomed to from CW. Again really good news and congratulations on the awesome new C65 SH21!
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I am very pleased that you got the resolution you were looking for.
I believe that MF (CW) have gone the extra mile to resolve this :clap:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Glad it all got sorted to your satisfaction. Let's hope that this experience helps to bring about positive change within CW's processes. Enjoy the new watch when it arrives :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

welshlad wrote:Really pleased for you, Dave, that this had been resolved in such a positive way. Congratulations on the new C65, it's a beauty, and well done on your patience throughout the ordeal. And well done to Mike too for allowing you your preferred resolution.
Sums it up perfectly for me too.

Top notch Dave, and Mike France, on getting this resolved amicably.

It is perhaps pertinent to repost the answers to questions from the London GTG on Saturday, related to CS etc. to illustrate how CW are moving forward on this area of their business:-

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: MF explained to me after the main chat that Customer Service has recently been divided into two divisions, each with a CS Manager (reporting to MF).

Inbound - as the name suggests deals with all inbound enquiries and requests for the likes on information, place an order, request service / returns pack etc.

Logistics - deals with all 'behind the scenes' work. Processing of returns, warranty, service etc.

CW have a new phone system due to be installed in the next few weeks, which should improve their capability to deal with and respond to phone call.

CS staffing levels will be increased.

CW are recruiting, not only for CS staff but also for an experienced watchmaker to work in Maidenhead;- CW Careers
Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Excellent outcome - you were reasoned and logical in your approach to this issue and CW ( in the form of MF ) clearly reciprocated.

Every one wins - you get a watch you want with the all important 'feel good factor' and CW demonstrate their commitment to customer service and satisfaction.

:clap:

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Thrilled to hear your very unfortunate situation has been resolved, Dave! That gives me confidence about ordering from CW in the future...that Dartmouth has been on my mind quite a bit!

I’d like to add an aside to this story. While your QC incident was horrible to read about, I thoroughly enjoyed READING about it! Your posts we’re probably some of the best written posts I’ve read on this forum - clear & concise, level-headed, and never driven by emotion (a reaction that would have been quite reasonable, mind you). You addressed QC and CS issues in a way that was informative and moved the discussion along in a productive way, rather than just trash the company with doom and gloom predictions.

I hope you write a review of your incoming watch. I’m sure it will be a delight to read!

Andrew
Drew
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Well done for sorting Mike
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:12 pm Thrilled to hear your very unfortunate situation has been resolved, Dave! That gives me confidence about ordering from CW in the future...that Dartmouth has been on my mind quite a bit!

I’d like to add an aside to this story. While your QC incident was horrible to read about, I thoroughly enjoyed READING about it! Your posts we’re probably some of the best written posts I’ve read on this forum - clear & concise, level-headed, and never driven by emotion (a reaction that would have been quite reasonable, mind you). You addressed QC and CS issues in a way was the was informative and moved the discussion along in a productive way, rather than just trash the company with doom and gloom predictions.

I hope you write a review of your incoming watch. I’m sure it will be a delight to read!

Andrew
^^ Absolutely echo these comments !
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I too am pleased to hear the resolution - top notch CW!

BTW that C65 is a beauty, if it wasn't similar to my C8PR I would be tempted too (though it is an auto and in blue..... :problem: ) Do let us have a review if you can take the time.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bounce
Guru
Guru

Post by Bounce »

Excellent news that it has been resolved to your satisfaction, well done CW for doing the right thing.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Very good to hear that the outcome was to your satisfaction.
Steve.
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

I am very pleased that this reached the right conclusion.
A win win situation all round. :thumbup:
Regards
Craig