QC Issues C9 Chronometer - Excellent Resolution by Mike France

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavecUK
Senior
Senior

QC Issues C9 Chronometer - Excellent Resolution by Mike France

Post by DavecUK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:25 pm

My new Christopher Ward 40MM C9 Chronometer arrived today. I am not at all impressed. I know people have been saying the forum exaggerates a small number of QC issues. Well have a look at this. The screw is inside the watch mechanism, it jammed the rotor sometimes and goodness knows what damage it has done to the mechanism e.g. hairspring and balance wheel. No wonder the watch was not running when I got it. I was suspicious when I first looked because any shipped automatic watch is going to be running, this wasn't! I found this defect within 15 seconds of opening the box and inspecting the watch. If I can find this...why can't they find it before shipping. There is no excuse for this sort of sloppiness.
CW C5 loose screw inside mechanism.JPG

Laird
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 22

Re: QC Issues C5 Chronometer

Post by Laird » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:33 pm

very, very poor indeed !
|C70s - not DBR1 COSC/AM100 |C7 'BlueBird' |C7 IRR COSC |C7 BRG LE |C7 Rapide Mk2 COSC |C7 COSC Valjoux |C3 Blue GT |C4 Phoenix |C8 Pilots M1&2 |C60 316L Yellow |C8 UTC |C60 Trident GMT |C60 Trident Valjoux |C65 Classic Rose |C50 Day-Date COSC |

lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:44 pm

That's a shame it arrived like that. Something like that does take the shine off getting a new watch. But we all know it only takes a rough journey in the delivery process to unearth all sorts of issues. That model is hard to get now especially with a full warranty. If you like it I would return it for a repair, otherwise you might prefer a refund. Either way contact CW by phone if you can and have them send out a returns pack.

Let us know how you get on.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
C65 Trident Diver Hand Wound

jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by jtc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:58 pm

That's a fairly long screw to have been loosened en-route.

Disappointing; as above, get in touch and get it returned for repair or refund.
Jon

Sales Corner Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Halios | Oris | Seiko | Casio

A1soknownas
Junior
Junior

Post by A1soknownas » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:19 pm

Must have occurred during shipping right?
After all, according to the latest issue of Loupe they have improved their QC...'In response to this changing world, we've changed our quality control guidelines, now placing two further checks on each watch prior to dispatch'...

DavecUK
Senior
Senior

Re: QC Issues C9 Chronometer

Post by DavecUK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:17 pm

I have been collecting for over 25 years with an interest in horology stretching back to when I was a child. A screw doesn't loosen like that during shipping, it can only be in the watch for 2 reasons.

1. It's something from the balance bridge or similar and was placed but not tightened during assembly. The watch was cased and somehow it lodged somewhere and didn't foul the balance wheel testing...how I don't know!

2. Someone just dropped a screw in there...unlikely.

What the screw has undoubtedly done, because the watch doesn't run....is jam into the balance wheel, the rotor has come round and given it an almighty knock. In all likelihood it's out of adjustment, could be hairspring damage and possibly bent pivots on the balance wheel. My fear is they open the case tip it out, get it running and say it's all good...It's unlikely that it will be good and I could well get problems down the road. I think this fear is justified based on my only experience with them so far.

The watch will need to be opened and disassembled, inspected for damage/fixed (cleaned if necessary) re lubricated and recertified, not just a quick whizz on the timegrapher.. My confidence that this would actually be done as it should be....zero, even if it was, how many months would I have to wait.

The appalling thing about this is that within 15 seconds of removing the watch from it's wooden case...I found the problem, yet it gets past the experts at CW. It is indefensible!

IMO they should allow me to choose another watch with an SH21 chronometer movement.....for no extra money (if I can find one I like).

paul64

Post by paul64 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Ouch, I'm nervous now about my C9 43mm when it arrives.

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:46 pm

That is a really cringe worthy situation!
There is no way I would want that watch back, and as you said Dave, in the circumstances I think it would be more than reasonable to be able to choose and alternative at the same or higher price. I hope you get sorted out without too much hassle.
Regards
Craig

DavecUK
Senior
Senior

Post by DavecUK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Craig64 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:46 pm
There is no way I would want that watch back, and as you said Dave, in the circumstances I think it would be more than reasonable to be able to choose and alternative at the same or higher price. I hope you get sorted out without too much hassle.
Exactly, I think if someone understands about watchmaking as a hobby...then they would feel exactly as you say. CW need to step up and show their quality and simply say. We see you live nearby, come down to the showroom, we will show you some SH21 chronometers and choose whichever watch you like and take it away with you.

groovin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by groovin » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:22 pm

lisnalee wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:44 pm
That's a shame it arrived like that. Something like that does take the shine off getting a new watch. But we all know it only takes a rough journey in the delivery process to unearth all sorts of issues. That model is hard to get now especially with a full warranty. If you like it I would return it for a repair, otherwise you might prefer a refund. Either way contact CW by phone if you can and have them send out a returns pack.

Let us know how you get on.
We all know how what a rough journey can cause? Well sadly this is how CW shipped my watch after fixing just one of the two QC issues I had with my C65:
IMG_20190725_154915.jpg
Sadly I don't think in this case the screw became loose from shipping.

I love what CW is doing and I love the new models want to get the FLE but man you can't have stuff like this constantly happening while you are releasing 2 and 4k watches :(

My recent experience viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52396&p=785361#p785361 unfortunately also showed major flaws in the system.
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2

Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:42 pm

DavecUK wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:07 pm
Craig64 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:46 pm
Exactly, I think if someone understands about watchmaking as a hobby...then they would feel exactly as you say. CW need to step up and show their quality and simply say. We see you live nearby, come down to the showroom, we will show you some SH21 chronometers and choose whichever watch you like and take it away with you.
Yes, and it would be in their best interest to go that extra mile to ensure that you end up completely satisfied, so that the issue can be buried.
I also would not accept that transportation could have caused this issue. It must surely have occurred during the assembly process, as mentioned.
Regards
Craig

Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Viognier » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm

Very disappointing to see. Do keep us posted on your next steps.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

Rice & Gravy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Rice & Gravy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Hope it get sorted out for you. Not sure I understand cracking the case back and poking around in a watch that's still under warranty though. Seems like they'd have a reason to deny it if they were so inclined.
Christopher Ward Several previous C60 Trident Pros
Omega SMP 2254.50
Damasko DA44
Seiko SRPC39
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date

DavecUK
Senior
Senior

Post by DavecUK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Viognier wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm
Very disappointing to see. Do keep us posted on your next steps.
I sent a nice polite email to Mike France....somehow I suspect he wouldn't hear about it from customer service. I don't expect he will reply, but you never know. If it were me, I would reply to this sort of issue....unless there were so many I dare not set a precedent. I'm still hoping an error like this is extremely unusual, happens rarely if ever. If I purchased a cheap Chinese automatic for £15 perhaps I might get this sort of thing happening.
by Rice & Gravy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:58 pm
Hope it get sorted out for you. Not sure I understand cracking the case back and poking around in a watch that's still under warranty though. Seems like they'd have a reason to deny it if they were so inclined.
You must think I am an idiot...why would I even dream about opening the case back? If you had actually looked at the photograph, you would see the plastic still wrapped around the exhibition case back. My sin was to simply open the box to access the wonderful watch inside.

Rice & Gravy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by Rice & Gravy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:05 pm

OH! I do see that now, at first glance that wasn't apparent and I didn't make the connection that it was exhibition. And my apologies that you took offense.
Christopher Ward Several previous C60 Trident Pros
Omega SMP 2254.50
Damasko DA44
Seiko SRPC39
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date