welshlad
CW-watches: 9
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes

Re: Loupe #14 | Autumn 2019

Post by welshlad » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm

I think that's an interesting idea, Dave. I suppose it's a bit like Denplan cover for dentistry costs. You pay your monthly subs and all normal routine stuff and minor procedures are taken care of. And for major things you get a discount but still have to pay something. The difference is the cover for a formal service every few years.

I wonder how it might work for those who buy many CW watches. The aggregate monthly DDs could then well mount up. Perhaps there could be a cover plan that covers multiple watches? Or maybe the monthly cost is reduced for subsequent watches to reward loyalty? I can see some issues when watches are sold, but its certainly an interesting idea worthy of further consideration IMHO.
CWL C1R | C5A | C60 x2 | C70 x4 | C8
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti
Rolex Exp 114270 | Sub 14060 Zenith EP1969 Damasko DA44
Grand Seiko Snowflake Seiko 55 Fthms
Citizen Promaster Tissot V8 Vratislavia S6 Casio WT Luch 1Hand

DavecUK
Senior
Senior

Post by DavecUK » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:25 pm

welshlad wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm
I wonder how it might work for those who buy many CW watches. The aggregate monthly DDs could then well mount up. Perhaps there could be a cover plan that covers multiple watches? Or maybe the monthly cost is reduced for subsequent watches to reward loyalty? I can see some issues when watches are sold, but its certainly an interesting idea worthy of further consideration IMHO.
I guess it is a bit like denplan ;)

I think initially if I were CW I would offer it on the SH21 first and see how it goes..Like I said they should test it out on a limited number of users first before they go large. For multiple watches it's tricky, because there are the fixed costs, demagnetise, dismantle, inspect, clean, lubricate, regulate, final inspection, pressure test. They don't change...the only variable cost is parts which would always be reduced if someone had more than one watch...As the parts cost is relatively small and with regular servicing few parts will be needed, those that are will be inexpensive. This would mean a reduction would be hard.

As for watches being sold, you could opt to pay monthly, quarterly 6 monthly or annually...the remainder passed on to the new owner and if the plan is kept up without a break then the new owner can continue it. this will only serve to increase the used value of a watch. A potential purchaser knows a watch from this plan has had it from new and therefore all manufacturers recommended servicing will have been done.

From CW point of view there SH21 can become a byword for quality, reliability and accuracy, just as any thing that's regularly manufacturer serviced would. I help design, review and test high end prosumer espresso machines costing thousands of pounds. None of my machines ever get a problem because they are maintained by me in accordance with manufacturer guidelines (I know this because I often write them).

I think it would give them a unique position and value proposition in the marketplace, a bold move showing complete confidence in the SH21. It's a relatively straightforward movement that looks as if it would be a joy to work on. When something is really well made it's usually much easier to work on!

If I had to give a target price for the SH21, it would be £16.00 per quarter, £30 per 6 months or £55 per annum. something like that. Unused time to be passed to any new owner because the plan is with the watch, not the owner.

It's important to remember that even if a watch sits unused for 5-7 years, the lubricants still dry out, running the watch can cause a lot of wear!

A1soknownas

Post by A1soknownas » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:44 pm

DavecUK wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:57 pm
Forums are great places for people to vent their spleen, make loose comments and reinforce the comments of others. This is not productive if the aim is to drive improvement because all it does is make those we really wish would sit up and take notice....ignore us. I learnt on coffee forums that there are lots posters who create nothing, change nothing and achieve nothing but create an environment that actively discourages companies genuinely seeking their opinion..

This topic quickly degenerated into rehashing service problems again and some quips about the ability of CW to perform in this area. If I were in the service department and read these comments would I feel encouraged and motivated, if I had a problem, would these comments help me deal with it in a level headed manner? We all know the answer.
The nature of comments will reflect the current level of performance by CW. The amount of negative comments on a forum may not contribute free consultancy and ideas to CW but could communicate the current level of customer satisfaction of some of those who like their products and brand enough to use a forum dedicated to them. That is if the company actually read it.

Whilst no doubt your own personal approach in contacting CW regarding your recent issue would have played a massive part in them providing a suitable resolution, I would not underestimate the impact the large amount of negative feeling on the forum contributed to this. The discussion of issues over recent months on the forum led to a question being asked at the GTG, which then led to your issue being highlighted to a founder of the company and was from then on under public scrutiny while an outcome was awaited. One forum user’s comment should not be assumed to be more valid than others.

Now back to the LOUPE magazine…

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:08 pm

jtc wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm
These constant digs at other brands, apeing other marketing choices and using world politics in attempted humour is utterly classless.
Agreed. CW should walk its own path, they are more than capable.

Change of PR agency?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)