Introducing the C65 Military Range - Dartmouth / Sandhurst / Cranwell

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Introducing the C65 Military Range - Dartmouth / Sandhurst / Cranwell

Post by PaulJS »

Clach77 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm Is no one going to mention the placement of the logo. :D
Seems only fitting that since I have been so resolutely anti the placement at 9 that I should applaud the fact that the pills have finally started to work and the name has returned to its rightful position :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

And to what great effect :thumbup:

I will look forward to the justification ( excuse the pun) if any for a twelve placement despite there being no design imperative for such.

Maybe it was thought that the target audience would view the disruptive positioning just a touch too much of an affectation and would put off significant buyers?

Or maybe they are just upholding that long standing tradition of military style watches having the maker's name at twelve ( obviously so that a quick glance mid fire fight doesn't leave you momentarily disorientated as to which way is up! ).

Whatever the reasoning I am just happy that, after a long period of having no opportunities, there is now a new CW that I can seriously consider buying ( when the right level of discount comes along, naturally)

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Well: :shock:

1. I no longer buy CW watches, as I rarely wear the ones I have.
2. I don’t like watches that are an homage to a notable watch from the past.
3. I generally don’t do the military thing with watches.
4. I prefer watches with a longer power reserve than 38 hours, finding 48-72 hours more useful for my wearing pattern.
5. I like blue dial watches.
6. I like watches without a date.
7. I like a box crystal.
8. I like a 41mm case on a dive watch when combined with a sensible lug to lug of approximately 47mm.
9. I like dive watches with sensible WR that are not too thick.
10. I like the C65 Dartmouth. Yes I intend to buy one! :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

It's been discussed before on here several times that the word mark varies based on the dial layout. When they have the space to put the name at 9, they do/will, such as the c60 and other versions of the C65. Along with the twin flags at 12. For those pictured here and others where the dial is not conducive to the wording being there at 9, they put the name at 12 o'clock. They haven't come to their senses or some such.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Korkki
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Korkki »

The Cranwell looks nice
NO PARKING
This space is reserved
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 pm It's been discussed before on here several times that the word mark varies based on the dial layout. When they have the space to put the name at 9, they do/will, such as the c60 and other versions of the C65. Along with the twin flags at 12. For those pictured here and others where the dial is not conducive to the wording being there at 9, they put the name at 12 o'clock. They haven't come to their senses or some such.
I'm not complaining about the name logo being at 12 on this Military range, indeed totally the opposite as I'm amazed and pleased to see all 3 of them with the name at 12. Hurrah ! At long last some CW watches I can consider as purchasable.

But could somebody please explain why these watches dials are "not conducive to the wording being there at 9". There is no less space than standard C65 or C60, no sub-dials getting in the way so why? what makes these different that it's been placed at 12?

'cos I'm really confused by the "it's here to stay", "it'll move when the dial requires it to be" as it's moved to 12 for no apparent reason that I can see.

BTW - That Dartmouth could be just what I want. Showroom visit soon I think.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

Oooooooo.. That Dartmouth is nice 👍👍
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

My thinking is location must be all about balance. Date on the right (3) = words on the left(9), flags at 12. No date on the right (or fairly large applied indices at both 3 and 9) = name at 12. Power reserve or other complication at 9 = name at 12.

And I preordered a Dartmouth!
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I wish there were some lume shots, especially of the Sandhurst and the Cranwell.

What surprises me is that I quite like the Dartmouth despite the presence of elements that I DON’T like on other models. That doesn’t make much sense!

And does the blue of the Dartmouth look to be a slightly darker shade of blue than the other C65 dive watches, or is that me seeing what I want to see?
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:18 pm My thinking is location must be all about balance. Date on the right (3) = words on the left(9), flags at 12. No date on the right (or fairly large applied indices at both 3 and 9) = name at 12. Power reserve or other complication at 9 = name at 12.

And I preordered a Dartmouth!
Can't be as you've explained - C65 Trident Diver, no date but name at 9, flags at 12, baton at 9 shorter than at 3, WR wording at 6 = unbalanced / asymmetrical to my brain.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

For me it will be a toss up between the Sandhurst and the Cranwell models.
I love the military looks, homage or no homage (personally I think the light catcher cases are unique enough to negate the homage argument). Logo placement also looks good (although I like the 9o’clock placement equally) and no screw-down crown will make topping the movement up as easy as it can be.
The Sandhurst looks delightfully simple, clear and the pop of red on the seconds hand stands out well. Will I miss lume on it though? Can I get away with no date? Is it tooooooo close to my current C65 Vintage?
The Cranwell is significantly different to my C65 Vinage so will get some good wrist time. Will the arrow at 12 be too big and will I miss the red seconds?
Decisions, decisions...
The BIG positives are the COSC movement, and the fact it is in a slim, 38mm case too. I will definitely have to check out the exact shade of lume, I hope the patina is not too artificial?
It will be good to see them in the flesh if they have some in London :-)

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

The C65 Dartmouth would be my pick of these 3. Really like the newer style sword Hour and second hands on it.
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

Ooooo... the 38mm Sandhurst on quick release metal bracelet is tempting......

Just don't know if it'll be too much like the love child of my C5A Mks 1 and 2 merged with my 36mm Tudor BB.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:11 pm
Rice & Gravy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:36 pm It's been discussed before on here several times that the word mark varies based on the dial layout. When they have the space to put the name at 9, they do/will, such as the c60 and other versions of the C65. Along with the twin flags at 12. For those pictured here and others where the dial is not conducive to the wording being there at 9, they put the name at 12 o'clock. They haven't come to their senses or some such.
I'm not complaining about the name logo being at 12 on this Military range, indeed totally the opposite as I'm amazed and pleased to see all 3 of them with the name at 12. Hurrah ! At long last some CW watches I can consider as purchasable.

But could somebody please explain why these watches dials are "not conducive to the wording being there at 9". There is no less space than standard C65 or C60, no sub-dials getting in the way so why? what makes these different that it's been placed at 12?

'cos I'm really confused by the "it's here to stay", "it'll move when the dial requires it to be" as it's moved to 12 for no apparent reason that I can see.

BTW - That Dartmouth could be just what I want. Showroom visit soon I think.
This is pure speculation. I assume that the MOD had the final say on the outer appearance of the watches since they will carry the emblems of their branches.

The upper ranks probably preferred the CW name at the 12 o'clock position. This was probably a stipulation before they signed off on them.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

asqwerth wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:17 pm Ooooo... the 38mm Sandhurst on quick release metal bracelet is tempting......

Just don't know if it'll be too much like the love child of my C5A Mks 1 and 2 merged with my 36mm Tudor BB.
It will, of course - but in a good way :thumbup:
lisnalee
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by lisnalee »

I missed this the first time I looked at the photos, but the little coloured ring on the crown is a really nice touch.Image
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC