FLE #8 - Poll #5

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

I will buy one of these 3 models. (You may vote for up to 3 and can change your choices.)

Poll ended at Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:58 am

#3 - Black sweep hand - white GMT hand with red tip
38%
#4 - Black sweep hand with red tip - white GMT hand with red tip
24%
#5 - Black sweep hand with red tip including lume circle - white GMT hand with red tip
38%

Total votes: 58

DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: FLE #8 - Poll #5

Post by DEV.Woulf »

srs1286 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:14 pm High res side by side of #3 and #5
Thank you. I was going to ask for this as it makes a big difference. Also the original photoshop made the red lollipop look too fat and cartoony which was swaying my judgement.

I think #3 looks more formal and #5 looks more playful. Maybe in person they'll be almost no difference. I agree with the voters that the red lollipop looks more special than just the tip.
Kip wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:47 pm I would also add that we are probably looking at Jan/Feb before delivery/final payment will come about.
That'd be great for us Christmas shoppers! :thumbup:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
groovin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by groovin »

Also agree that the high res pictures make quite a difference and thank you for the effort Scott.

Had voted for either #3 or #5 but now with the high res images I am strongly leaning towards #5.

The time frame of Jan/Feb would be very suitable for me as well.

Awesome opportunity to be part of this!
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Kip wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:47 pm I would also add that we are probably looking at Jan/Feb before delivery/final payment will come about.
Wow, that #5 looks fantastic.

But Jan/Feb puts me out.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TheBeatles wrote:

But Jan/Feb puts me out.
What's the problem with Jan / Feb, Brian? What were you expecting?

Being an entirely new watch it will take a good few months for CW to put the design into production etc. plus they will need to weave this into their existing production schedule.

I wouldn't have expected anything earlier than December regardless.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 pm
TheBeatles wrote:

But Jan/Feb puts me out.
What's the problem with Jan / Feb, Brian? What were you expecting?

Being an entirely new watch it will take a good few months for CW to put the design into production etc. plus they will need to weave this into their existing production schedule.

I wouldn't have expected anything earlier than December regardless.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
When new FLE was first mooted in July I was hoping, fingers crossed, that it would sneak in before Christmas. Probably a forlorn hope for the reasons you mention Guy. Then it would’ve been a great present and justified waiting.

But Jan/Feb is not good for me, I’m too impatient as my experiences on Kickstarter have proved.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

I’m a bit surprised by the seeming lack of interest in this bespoke project. This Trident iteration is so much more than a typical “parts bin” LE. With commitment deadlines approaching, it appears the project may not reach minimum numbers (25?} required to get it off ground if I’m understanding the voting correctly.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Markornot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm I’m a bit surprised by the seeming lack of interest in this bespoke project. This Trident iteration is so much more than a typical “parts bin” LE. With commitment deadlines approaching, it appears the project may not reach minimum numbers (25?} required to get it off ground if I’m understanding the voting correctly.
I think you maybe under estimating where we will finally be.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Markornot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm I’m a bit surprised by the seeming lack of interest in this bespoke project. This Trident iteration is so much more than a typical “parts bin” LE. With commitment deadlines approaching, it appears the project may not reach minimum numbers (25?} required to get it off ground if I’m understanding the voting correctly.
I haven’t said much up until now, but I will chuck this in for what it is worth.

I said at the start that I wasn’t in. I am one of what I suspect is a growing number of people who are coming to the realisation that they simply have too many watches and are looking to offload rather than to continue acquiring.

With that in mind it would have taken something pretty special to arouse my interest in this FLE. I think the blue PVD case and the transparent dial were exciting ideas that had a lot going for them. I might well have been interested.

When I saw it was going to be white on white on white, I knew that it was not for me. I make no apology for saying this, and I wish wholeheartedly that the watch people vote for gets produced. But to me it is bland. It ain’t sexy. We missed a great opportunity to bring about something radical.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

Based on a few FLE/CWE experiences, you're going to need more in the range of 35-40 votes for a run of 25 watches so there is a long ways to go yet (in my opinion). A few drop out when the time comes to put the deposit down and a few more along the way prior to shipment.

That said... the likely outcome is back to the drawing board to hopefully find something that appeals to a broader audience or the thinking of "well, we gave it a good shot".
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 pm
I haven’t said much up until now, but I will chuck this in for what it is worth.

I said at the start that I wasn’t in. I am one of what I suspect is a growing number of people who are coming to the realisation that they simply have too many watches and are looking to offload rather than to continue acquiring.

With that in mind it would have taken something pretty special to arouse my interest in this FLE. I think the blue PVD case and the transparent dial were exciting ideas that had a lot going for them. I might well have been interested.

When I saw it was going to be white on white on white, I knew that it was not for me. I make no apology for saying this, and I wish wholeheartedly that the watch people vote for gets produced. But to me it is bland. It ain’t sexy. We missed a great opportunity to bring about something radical.
Agreed 100% Steve. However, my other thoughts regarding how the final choices have come about should, maybe, be kept under wraps as it will probably upset a few.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:19 pm When new FLE was first mooted in July I was hoping, fingers crossed, that it would sneak in before Christmas. Probably a forlorn hope for the reasons you mention Guy. Then it would’ve been a great present and justified waiting.

But Jan/Feb is not good for me, I’m too impatient as my experiences on Kickstarter have proved.
Hey Brian,

C'mon, what's an extra month or two between friends?

Seriously, I can understand your apprehension on a Kickstarter project as there are generally more factors at play than just the timing, which can frequently get extended and delayed often more than once, plus you have the anxiety of maybe the project will not materialise at all or the style / design / quality may not meet your expectations.

I don't believe these issues will arise with CW.

Go on, give it further consideration. At the rate we're going it will be a pretty exclusive watch. :wink:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:41 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:19 pm When new FLE was first mooted in July I was hoping, fingers crossed, that it would sneak in before Christmas. Probably a forlorn hope for the reasons you mention Guy. Then it would’ve been a great present and justified waiting.

Hey Brian,

C'mon, what's an extra month or two between friends?

Seriously, I can understand your apprehension on a Kickstarter project as there are generally more factors at play than just the timing, which can frequently get extended and delayed often more than once, plus you have the anxiety of maybe the project will not materialise at all or the style / design / quality may not meet your expectations.

I don't believe these issues will arise with CW.

Go on, give it further consideration. At the rate we're going it will be a pretty exclusive watch. :wink:

Guy
Guy, it wasn’t Kickstarter style apprehension holding me back. I know the CW FLE is a 100% solid investment.

I don’t want to derail thread over pluses/minuses about Kickstarter. I will give it further consideration but Jan/Feb seems soooooo long away for me to wait to open a box.

DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

True that it is a laid-back design, but the lack of interest may have more to do with this:
C60 MkIII GMT FLE - strap £970 ($1,120)
C60 MkIII GMT FLE - bracelet £1,070 ($1,235)
...with no discount codes and import fees for some. But if this was the standard Trident you'd have more buyers for sure.

Regarding the long wait time... some people's tastes can change after 6 months. Putting a non-refundable deposit down and then no longer liking a watch months later is not fun for anybody. Or perhaps some other watch will come along in the time that is more desirable. You pick your battles.

Joseph.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:59 pm I don’t want to derail thread over pluses/minuses about Kickstarter. I will give it further consideration but Jan/Feb seems soooooo long away for me to wait to open a box.
Surely the answer is obvious. You just buy something else to fill the gap whilst you're waiting! :thumbup:
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:02 pmWhen I saw it was going to be white on white on white, I knew that it was not for me. I make no apology for saying this, and I wish wholeheartedly that the watch people vote for gets produced. But to me it is bland. It ain’t sexy. We missed a great opportunity to bring about something radical.
The CW community in a nutshell regarding Tridents and other designs:

https://youtu.be/1krBugazaP0?t=21

Joseph.