The 40 mm C60 four months on?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

The 40 mm C60 four months on?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Just taking a bit of a rain check here.

Going back in time there has always been an undercurrent of opinion on the forum that a 40 mm version of the ever popular C60 Trident would nicely fill the “Goldilocks Gap” that many perceived to exist between the 38 mm and 42/43 mm versions.

Equally, for many years the official message from CWT was that it wasn’t going to happen. Then last November, with quite a few knowing smirks, Chris, Mike and Adrian rather took the wind out of the Admin Team’s sails by showing us the 40 mm prototype.

Six months later the watch was on the market, albeit in a limited and quite experimental way. So I was wondering what the opinions would be from people who have dipped a toe in the water (so to speak :D) over the last four months, or those who might be contemplating doing so.

I suppose I’m quite fortunate in being able to wear a wide range of sizes quite comfortably, from the 33 mm “Li’l Ol’ Vintages” to the 43 mm Trident GMT, but I have noticed that the 41 mm C65 Trident Diver is really on a bit of a sweet spot for me. Therefore I suspect that the 40 mm version would be pretty much the same.

What do we all think? Have you taken the plunge (excuse the pun again :wink: ), are you thinking about it, or are you perhaps waiting for further developments in terms of design and colour?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: The 40 mm C60 four months on?

Post by StrappedUp »

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the other colours/variants of the 40mm.

As part of my reduction down to 3 watches, I need to see/dismiss(or not) the 40mm C60 before settling on what will be the only "proper" sports watch in my trio.

In particular, I'm hoping for the release of a GMT as it's a great complication aesthetically as well as functionally.

It's on a very short, shortlist along with the 40mm Aquis and the SMPc.
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I was able to take a look at the 40mm C60 Trident Mk3 and do a review of it for the forum at the time it was released.

Whilst my long term preference has been for larger watches, which I still enjoy, it highlighted that 40mm is eminently wearable for me.

I have subsequently bought my Breguet Type XX which has a 39mm case, but wears larger due to a 41mm bezel, which has become my most worn.

Whilst I can't offer any comments on long term wear of the 40mm Trident, I think it would be safe to say that I would happily get one; if the right one comes along.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

No personal experience, but it would appear to be near a sweet spot for size. The dimensions suggest that its width/height balance is possibly less top heavy than the 38mm? and the dial layout has more symmetry, again in comparison to the 38mm, with a 3 baton rather than an indented date window.

‘If’ CW roll out further colours, complications and materials in 40mm then I can see the range becoming over large. Would you really need the whole gamut of models in 38/40/42mm? And for CW that means increased capital costs associated with stock control and further support workload.
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

timor54 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 am ‘If’ CW roll out further colours, complications and materials in 40mm then I can see the range becoming over large. Would you really need the whole gamut of models in 38/40/42mm? And for CW that means increased capital costs associated with stock control and further support workload.
Now that is an interesting question.

I guess some people like to have a variety of colour, building up a collection of pieces that are fundamentally the same watch. Hence those who have several different colours of C60.

Some people like a variety of styles: a diver, an aviator, a dress watch, a chronograph, a GMT and so on.

Some people gravitate more towards the multipurpose watch like, for example, a smart GMT with good WR, that covers a lot of bases.

Of course, the bottom line for any company is to sell as many watches as possible and I suppose it’s all the same if you are selling one watch each to 1000 people or 10 watches each to 100 people.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:44 am
timor54 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 am ‘If’ CW roll out further colours, complications and materials in 40mm then I can see the range becoming over large. Would you really need the whole gamut of models in 38/40/42mm? And for CW that means increased capital costs associated with stock control and further support workload.
Now that is an interesting question.

I guess some people like to have a variety of colour, building up a collection of pieces that are fundamentally the same watch. Hence those who have several different colours of C60.

Some people like a variety of styles: a diver, an aviator, a dress watch, a chronograph, a GMT and so on.

Some people gravitate more towards the multipurpose watch like, for example, a smart GMT with good WR, that covers a lot of bases.

Of course, the bottom line for any company is to sell as many watches as possible and I suppose it’s all the same if you are selling one watch each to 1000 people or 10 watches each to 100 people.
Possibly my wording wasn’t as precise as it could’ve been. Whilst undoubtedly collectors will buy multiple iterations of a model in differing sizes or colours, I was thinking more of why CW would want to maintain an entire range across three very close case sizes?

If the 40mm proves over time to be the dominant size would CW drop either the 38 or 42mm, or possibly both!
Tim
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I haven't seen a 40mm in the flesh yet so, for me, the jury is still out. A 40mm watch probably isn't considered small by most but it is for me. I tend to prefer a larger watch and most of mine are in the 41 - 44mm range. I don't really gel with the obsession about smaller watches. I might change my mind when I see one on my wrist (hello, a trip to Maidenhead just justified itself) but I'm not optimistic based on previous and current ownership of "tiddlers" like my 40 mm Oris Movember.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Agree that 40mm hits the”sweet spot”.
Whilst I don’t own a C60 Trident 40mm I had the pleasure of trying one on when I visited CW Towers and is better imho the the 38 or 43 version. It’s just right.
I own a Sub-date and the 40m size on me is perfect. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

Haven’t seen one yet, but as the 38mm is too small on me and my 43mm Mk2 Titanium is wearable, but on the large side, I would imagine that the 40mm would be spot on size wise.

However, as it would be a case of one in one out, the plain black isn’t sufficient to tempt me to swap out the titanium. Something like the 316l blue, the ombré, or a new titanium in a 40mm might though.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

I dipped my toe in the water, so to speak, and bought the 40mm new MK3 Trident within 24 hours of it appearing on the website, the black dial and bezel combo being the only option available.

I had very high expectations of this new model, following the marketing hype.

I can honestly say that this model more than matched my expectations. I own three MK2 tridents; the 38mm case size, and two in the 43mm size. My wrist is between 7.25 inches and 7.5 inches circumference.

As much as I love the striking appearances of the bigger 43mm watches, the 40mm size new MK3 model is my favourite. For me it hits my sweet spot, as the best compromise between visual looks and comfort.

When new colour options are offered in the 40mm size, I probably won’t be able to resist temptation.... :D :D
Regards
Craig