Paint has come off He valve, Elite 1000

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Twan-Sloot

Paint has come off He valve, Elite 1000

Post by Twan-Sloot »

So after wearing my watch for a little more than a month the paint is comming off of the He valve. I don’t think that should happen on a watch in this price class, haven’t done anything special with it, only went on summer holiday which involved swimming in the sea. I guess the sea should be within limits of a 1000 meter dive watch.
CE056FBC-495B-40E5-B2EB-747BCFF64523.jpeg
Has anybody else experienced this?

I am kind off doubting about what to do with this, the watch is absolutely perfect apart from this flaw, it runs at an incredible -1 to -2 seconds a day (steady).
Very happy with that, and the hybrid straps holds up like nothing else, pools and the sea are no problem at all!

I am always hesitant of sending a good working watch back to any brand. And reading the latest experiences on the forum doesn’t help with that.

What would you guys do:

A: don’t care about it
B: send it back to CW with the risk of waiting long and maybe creating something else that bothers me.
C: try to get the H off as well haha.
D: I like pie

Appreciatie your opinions!
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Paint has come off He valve, Elite 1000

Post by Markornot »

It should be simple enough to fill the engraving with black paint using a fine brush and clean up flush with acetone. If your not comfortable doing it yourself and don’t want to send it in, I imagine a something like a trophy shop could do it in a jiffy. As you noted, removing the paint from the “H” might be the simplest solution if it bothers you.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Twan-Sloot

Post by Twan-Sloot »

Hmm had not thought of just taking it to a third party like a trophy shop or anything like that, probably going to do that. Shouldn’t take them long indeed.

Thanks.

Sending it in seems like a sluggish proces for something so small.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Personally I would remove the paint from the “H”.
It’d look like it was meant to be. :thumbup:

Or as Markornot said, fill in with cellulose paint, get a small disk and wrap it in a rag. Soak with acetone and buff up.
I wouldn’t send it back. Be gone for at least 8 weeks and you don’t know what standard it’ll be done to.
Trophy shop is a good shout.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

I would just leave it, assume it's not something that's really visible when wearing it and not something anyone would really notice or care about.

I suppose the issue is if at some point you decide to sell it. Maybe go back in the sea and see if the H comes off!

It's a bit poor given the price of the watch.
Johnny
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by neilj568 »

I'd leave it and wait for nature to take its course and the "H" to fall off too.

I certainly wouldn't bother to send it back although I might write a stiff email of complaint which would obviously be ignored but I'd feel better for it... :D

Post by Twan-Sloot »

Thanks for the replies guys! I’ll give the trophy shop a shot and if the paint comes off again I’ll let it be and get both off.

And maybe i’ll give CS a heads up about this, shouldn’t happen on a watch in this price range...

Have a great day all
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I agree that I would not bother sending it back, either get the paint re-done as suggested or remove the remaining black paint if you prefer the all steel look......or just keep it as a unique watch with a Hydrogen valve :?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I don't see the point of highlighting the "He" by having black paint in the letters so I think the "e" looks better without the black paint - I wouldn't do anything and wait for the paint to fall off the "H" or try to take it off.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Well, two things spring to mind,

1. You're right, at this price point and at this age in the life of the watch it shouldn't happen. When this topic popped up in my emails my first thought was that it was a previous watch, years older and frankly "so what?". Okay we don't buy CW watches expecting Omega quality at half price but then again this wouldn't happen on a Seiko either at half the price.

2. What to do about it. Does it matter to you - clearly it does and shouldn't CW be at least made aware? For all we know CW might be dealing with a stack of similar faults. Someone's been paid to apply that paint and their work doesn't pass muster. And, if you take "the repair" into your own hands are you not in danger of invalidating the warranty? I realise you aren't popping the back off but there's a principle involved.

I think I'm for reporting the fault to them for feedback and QC purposes indicating that your desire not to lose possession of the watch for the period it might take them to examine/investigate/remedy outweighs the disappointment you feel, nonetheless seeking a reply from them.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I can imagine your disappointment as this shouldn't happen on a watch this old. S**t happens I guess, just seems to happen quite often where CW are concerned lately.

Like a couple of the other comments already, I prefer the discreet look without the paint, so I'd be all for removing or waiting for the 'H' to disappear.

Best of luck with it and let us know the outcome :thumbup:
Ryan
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

tikkathree wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:44 am I think I'm for reporting the fault to them for feedback and QC purposes indicating that your desire not to lose possession of the watch for the period it might take them to examine/investigate/remedy outweighs the disappointment you feel, nonetheless seeking a reply from them.
^^^This, really.

Plenty of other sensible advice, and I don’t think I would let it bother me unduly as it is fairly discreet. But annoying all the same, I’m sure we all agree on that.

The bezels on the old C70s were notorious for dings. I got one on my DBR1 and touched it up with model paint. Not perfect, but only I would notice.

But yes, I would report it. It’s a very new watch and it sounds like it was doing what it was designed to do on holiday. So let them know.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

IMO this is what happens when you start tarting up what is supposed to be a usable, robust tool watch with unnecessary embellishments. A bit of paint was never going to stay put through the rigours of proper use - I clean my dive watches by scrubbing them with a nail brush in fresh water after sea water exposure, so would expect to see paint like this disappearing in short order.

As everything about the watch is spot on for you I would wait for the H paint to vanish in due course ( I think it looks better without anyway ) and contact CW about the 'failure' and suggest that they stop painting the 'He' in future !

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Zygote23

Post by Zygote23 »

I wouldn't be able to cope with that and it would be right back for a refund.
It's marketed as a premium product so I would expect it to last.
As for a long wait for repair....nope nope nope.
If it wasn't dealt with swiftly I'd simply hand the details over to my credit card company and let them sort it out.
Riddim Driven

Post by Riddim Driven »

Well I must say it's very disappointing and shoddy work for a watch of this caliber. I'm wondering if these watches were rushed to market without rigorous testing. A lot of little niggles cropping up. Well, not really little. Lack of proper lubrication, this paint faux pas, movement issues when winding. Then the rumor of an upcoming bracelet that evidently wasn't't ready to accompany the watch upon release. We'll pay again for that.

I feel for you and it really is unacceptable, and the options you present are very forgiving. And they stink. Shame on CW. It's not at all fair to the customer that really likes the watch, waited for delivery, and then saddled with issues that never should have been such.

My daughter would love the line "I like pie" -- She has used the exact same expression in a random explanation

Good luck!