The new CWArchive

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: The new CWArchive

Post by gaf1958 »

Kip wrote:Well thanks to the ingenuity of “downer” we have now implemented Lance’s idea and we think it adds to the reference capabilities of the CWArchive.
Well done to all, but particularly Richard for the implementation and Lance for the excellent idea. Image
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Kip wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:41 pm Back in November of last year we had an edit/suggestion pop up in the CWArchive that we thought was interesting.
Perhaps consider linking a Loupe article (or previous CW publication article) when a model is launched and featured in that publication to that specific model in the archive.

Viognier (Lance)
We thought it was interesting but did not know if it was possible. We also had not ever thought of doing this! #-o I cannot recall if I answered Lance or not, :oops: but the Admin Team shelved the idea since we were doing a lot of general house keeping at the time. The approaching holidays also did not seem an opportune time.

Well thanks to the ingenuity of “downer” we have now implemented Lance’s idea and we think it adds to the reference capabilities of the CWArchive. We have added a featured model(s) link(s) to all the magazines/Loupe’s that we have. The appropriate link is also now featured on the “Model” page. Now you can find the launch article of the model you might be looking up or you can link directly to the featured model(s) from your chosen publication on the "Publications" pages.

We hope you will find this helpful at some some point. Thank you for the suggestion Lance! :thumbup:
Fantastic work Richard and Kip for making this viable!!

I always try to keep the Loupe issue that corresponds to the CW watches I own....this absolutely simplifies it and keeping it electronically eases the challenges with long term storage. Great stuff!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

We have added another enhancement to the CWArchives.

You now have the ability to rate the primary models (not the variants) and comment. It is our hope that this will prove to be useful for prospective buyers going forward and for those researching the secondary market.

From the CWA Home Page go to Search>>Model Search. On the far right you will see the Star rating and a little Binocular with the rating count. If you want to rate the model just click on the the binoculars and a rating page pops up.

The rating option is also available from an individual Model Page. Note the Star rating at the top left and the Binoculars on the top right.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

We have added another enhancement to the CWArchive.

As most of you are aware, the Quarterly Magazine of CW is called Loupe (previously Christopher Ward Magazine). These Lifestyle magazines contain many excellent features and stories that cover CW, horology and other areas that might be of interest to some readers. These complete Publications can be accessed via the "Publications" tab on the home page of the CWArchive or if you go to the Timeline tab you can access the complete publications from any given year.

We have taken this a step farther to make it simpler for everyone. We have developed "Snippets". Our Snippets are articles of interest related primarily, but not limited, to the history and growth of CW as well as general horology. We have extracted the articles from the CW Magazines and Loupe to create "Snippets".

You can now see a list of the "Snippets" from the Publications tab or if you visit the "Timeline" you will see access to the "Snippets from a given year.

This saves you going through complete magazines if looking for something specific that was published in any of the Magazines. We have omitted watch model launch articles as these are available via the Watch model pages where applicable.

The "Snippets" page will give you a brief synopsis of the articles and includes the year of publication.

We hope you like it as it has been a great team effort and some fun putting this together.

Please let us know what you think.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
tikkathree
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Just had a look. Fascinating and informative but I am afraid my work might suffer as I can see me being drawn to this on a very regular basis. Big thanks to all involved. This is the kind of genuine support for others which makes this forum such a special place for those with an interest in watches. Thank you again Kip and the Team.
Gordon
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

I was looking at the C60 Trident 300 section and it appears there is no entry for the C60 300 Mk2 3-hander.
https://cwarchive.knack.com/cwarchive/# ... 753c43a20/

There was a blue bezel model in the sale today and I was curious if that was a regular model.

Fantastic resource, by the way. :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote:I was looking at the C60 Trident 300 section and it appears there is no entry for the C60 300 Mk2 3-hander.

There was a blue bezel model in the sale today and I was curious if that was a regular model.

Fantastic resource, by the way. Image
Is the C60 300 'Mk2' not covered by this part of the Model Description?

". . . The January 17 re release of the model brought a movement upgrade to the Ronda 715 model. Other changes included a reworked dial with the date position moved to 3 o'clock, the elimination of Trident Pro on the dial, smaller markers and V3 logo."

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ PS> Its worth a mention that there is an Improve the Archive section for all those little suggestions and queries.

Guy

JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

To All The Admin Team and anyone else involved.

I have just had occasion to investigate the archive with respect to a couple of watches, and I just want to compliment everyone involved on such a herculean effort. I have no doubt the team must have spent countless hours researching models, and populating spreadsheets and databases with the relevant information in order to build this comprehensive resource.

With most manufacturers you struggle to find any information on expired models. With some it's even hard with current models. It's just a fantastic effort, and thank you all.

:rate10: :D
Bahnstormer_vRS

^^^^ On behalf of the Admin Team, thank you.

Yes it took quite some time to pull everything together into the finished product, although we are constantly looking at ways to tweak and improve it, but it wouldn't have been possible without Kip collating records of each watch released over the years, right from the early days of CW.

Guy

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:32 am
nordwulf wrote:I was looking at the C60 Trident 300 section and it appears there is no entry for the C60 300 Mk2 3-hander.

Fantastic resource, by the way. Image
Is the C60 300 'Mk2' not covered by this part of the Model Description?

". . . The January 17 re release of the model brought a movement upgrade to the Ronda 715 model. Other changes included a reworked dial with the date position moved to 3 o'clock, the elimination of Trident Pro on the dial, smaller markers and V3 logo."

Guy

There are many different model entries for the the Mk1 and Mk2 C60 automatics. So no, the Mk1 and Mk2 300 quartz appear to be different models and case sizes. But I assume you know more about this than me.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

The history of the C60 Trident is a complicated one. CW never officially designated the models as MKI or II. The MKIII was used at launch but has been dropped from the model designation and is only used within the description.

Focusing on the C60 Tident 300 in question…

Upon the release of this model in January of 2017 with the changes as noted in the CWArchives and the response to the question above, the model codes were changed. If you look at the variants of the C60 Trident 300 42 Quartz, in the CWArchives you will see there are about 20 variants that have no photos on pages 2 and 3. These are the upgraded variants of the 300, that began on January 2017, and all have the newer code designations. Unfortunately we are still awaiting stock photos of these upgraded models to fill in the CWA.

The changes to the Trident 300 38/42 Quartz models did not include a case change. The other changes listed brought a freshening of the look and put the model more in line with the rest of the Trident line at that time.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Jamhill9

Post by Jamhill9 »

Kip wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:42 pm Many years ago, as a collector, I found it difficult, in many instances, to find historical information on watches I was interested in or had purchased. Whilst it is true that one can locate information on the larger brands, it is usually scattered about the internet and in books, it is rarely complete or in one place.

Not long after my introduction to Christopher Ward, it struck me that this would be good information to maintain on a company I liked and which seemed to have a future. As a result, I started collecting as much information as I could find. Initially I had the intent of putting all this information into book form, but in today's world this doesn’t seem quite practical.

Late in 2009, I had some discussions with the CW Forum founder, Hans, about developing a historical reference for Christopher Ward. These talks developed, thanks to Hans, into the Archives being added to the Forum in Mid-2010. The Archives that we had were very cumbersome to work with and difficult to put into an efficient viewable format, but it was a beginning. However, as time passed, it quickly became outdated and it still was far from what I was after.

I never gave up collecting information and badgering those at CW for details, nor my vision for creating a true historical archive. Around February of 2017 I approached “downer” about researching appropriate software to develop a new archive. Downer had helped and supported me in revising my spreadsheets and is an expert at Excel development. We did a bit more legwork, but still never really got going.

Then it happened…… At the second Admin Team meeting at CW Towers, in October 2018, support was finally garnered from CW for the development of an all new Archive.

Now with the full support of CW, the Admin Team immediately got to work in discussions, searching and organizing all the information we had and deciding how to best utilize it. Software was found, formats tried, and information entered.

After 10 months of intensive work we are launching the CWArchive!!

Gone is the cumbersome format of the old Archive. Gone is the detailed spreadsheet that I used to update twice per year.

The all new CWArchive allows you to search for details by collection model and/or variant. Information included is everything that you used to get from my spreadsheet. Also included is resale information that I have been tracking from worldwide sales since 2005 on CW watches.

Other new additions include the watch manuals, magazine and catalog links, movement information, a CW Timeline, press links to reviews and much, much more……..and it is in all one place….The CWArchive!

My vision has come to life!!

I cannot say Thank You enough to the members of my Admin Team for their hard work and dedication to this project. I would like to offer an Extra Special Thank You to “downer” for doing the leg work regarding the formatting and detailed input of information. Thanks to our “Wordsmith” “AVO” for his writing of all the descriptions. Thanks to “Bahnstormer_vRS” and “ianblyth” for all their input and work proofing. A shout to “MiniMpi” for assisting us through the proofing process. Not to be forgotten is the support we have received from CW on this project, especially Sammy, Olivia and Fraser. A mention goes to Andrew Henry whose ideas also contributed early on.

In the end, we think we have created a reference site like no other brand has. A single place where you can find all relative information, or at least most of it, that is available regarding a Christopher Ward watch and information about the company, both present and historical, that built it.

Due to the massive amount of information we have been working with, we have undoubtedly missed a few things or made some errors that we failed to pick up in the proofing process. You will note that on the home page there is a “Suggest an Edit” place where you can make us aware of any errors or omissions you might see.

The CWArchive is a continual work in process as new models, information, magazines etc. will be updated regularly.

Please have a look around the CW Archives. We hope that you will find it an enjoyable and useful tool.

Also keep in mind that this is a preview and we will get this attached to the Forum Archive link on the Portal and Board Index page. For now you can compare the old with the new. We will also be adding other categories such as CW Founders biographies and the evolution of the logo etc. as they are completed.

You may preview the new CWArchive here

Nicely done! Why isn't it up on the official site?
Bahnstormer_vRS

Jamhill9 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:28 pm Nicely done! Why isn't it up on the official site?
If by "Why isn't it up on the official site?" you mean why isn't it up on Christopherward.com the answer is pretty simple.

It is, indirectly, as under the 'Our Community' heading on the CW Homepage there is a link to the CW Forum.

However, it is not there directly as the CWArchive is not CW's to promote; it is ours (the CW Forum). :D :D

Guy

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

We now have over 17000 logged resale items that amount to over $9 million dollars (£6.8 m).

For most models this should be enough to give a pretty good idea of long term value for reference purposes.

When this version of the CWArchive was launched over 2 years ago, the overall average sale price was $472. You will now see that it is $535.

I also find it interesting that the better performers, as shown on the Resale Performance League, are predominately older models.
These users thanked the author Kip for the post:
MiniMpi
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"