The new CWArchive

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: The new CWArchive

Post by Essex Paul »

Many thanks and congratulations to all that contributed.
Fantastic effort indeed! :clap:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

:clap: Great addition! This will always be open on a second tab while visiting this forum. Thanks. :thumbup:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Well done to everyone. It works great!
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Absolutely amazing effort 8) very well done Kip and the Team :thumbup:
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Good work! Far easier to navigate and find a particular varient from the back-catalogue. Thank you!
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Qubo
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Qubo »

Fantastic - thank you very much for all the hard work here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

Great work. Just looking up my latest purchase the C9 Harrison GMT (Price paid £330 Ebay, considered at least by me as a steal). Thanks
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

Great resource but I’m finding the interface difficult to use on a mobile device :(

Some sections have very wide headers but the contents within a column is just a few numbers.

EG ‘Number of recorded resales’ is 26 characters wide but the numbers in the column are just 2-4.

This results in a lot of sideways scrolling and, if you’re trying to compare two models side by side, it can get confusing to remember which one you’re looking at.

Might work better with a fully responsive mobile design (which resizes things according to device), possibly using stacked headers or simply reducing character count of the title sections.

I’m only saying this as I get involved in a lot of site usability work and mobile responsiveness is getting increasingly important. I’ve seen some of the sites I work on showing usership of over 85% on mobile vs any desktop platform.
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ A couple of screenshots might help us to understand the problem. Thanks for mentioning it.

I have to say that the vast majority of my writing, editing, viewing and testing (a lot of hours) has been done on an iPad mini running Safari. I haven’t noticed any element of sideways scrolling that I can think of, and I just looked at the resale section again – seems fine.

Again, it would be interesting to know what device and browser you are using.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Wis »

A superb resource. Well done, and thanks to the team for all your work. And especially to Kip for his dedication to the brand and the forum.
Bjørn
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:35 am ^^^ A couple of screenshots might help us to understand the problem. Thanks for mentioning it.

I have to say that the vast majority of my writing, editing, viewing and testing (a lot of hours) has been done on an iPad mini running Safari. I haven’t noticed any element of sideways scrolling that I can think of, and I just looked at the resale section again – seems fine.

Again, it would be interesting to know what device and browser you are using.
Here’s a couple from a regular iPhone 7 in Firefox
Attachments
0D663178-C3C5-4728-97A4-82692DC02BE3.jpeg
EBBB3B87-63E3-4078-A5CF-AC32712F1A71.jpeg
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Thanks very much for posting that. It looks at first glance as though the width of the column is dictated by the writing in the header at the top. This is all rather outside of my scope. Downer is the technical expert who has done all the work on these aspects, and I expect that he will be able to give you a better answer.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

The formatting of the archive on varying screen sizes is purely down to the software package we have chosen to use, and in general it is not something we can control. However, for sure, we have concentrated our efforts on making the display look reasonable in a traditional laptop/desktop environment.

During my own testing I found that the vast majority of the screens looked and worked quite well on mobile devices (iphone and ipad in my case) when used in landscape mode, rather than portrait. However, the tables with long text headers can probably be steadily improved.

We will continue to experiment within the constraints of using an off-the-shelf software package as there is no way we will go into any customised development for this, and I hope that future releases of the package will allow more flexibility (for example, the ability to wrap the column headers or whatever).
Richard
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Think I commented before, whilst we were developing the archive, that portrait on a phone had limitations but, in the main, landscape was fine.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

Will the original simple spreadsheet be updated (maybe a spreadsheet is feeding the new database)?

I find that really useful for quick access and I keep a version saved on my phone so I can use it easily any time I want to check something :)