C60 Apex Limited Edition

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
unforced_error
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Re: C60 Apex Limited Edition

Post by unforced_error »

welshlad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:28 pm I think the 54mm lug-to-lug must be a typo.

The standard 42mm C60 Mk3 has a L2L of 49.3mm and it's difficult to understand why this would be so much (or any) longer. Even the C60 Mk2 Chronograph only had a L2L of 51.5mm.
Yeah that can't be right. My 43mm C60 Trident Pro SH21 is 51.5mm and the 44mm C8 Power Reserve Chronometer is 53.2mm.

Also, the 16.35mm height is beyond awful. I can barely stand the 15.5mm height on my watch. I've tried on an Omega Seamaster 600M GMT Good Planet at 17mm and can tell you that it's completely unwearable.
C60 Trident Pro 600 COSC SH21 - Red Bezel LE
Bel Canto - Watches@ LE
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I made some crude measurements from my computer screen to see what the proportions were. On my screen using the stainless steel bracelet version from the website images I made the diameter to be 105mm and the lug to lug 125mm. 105mm translates to a an approximate factor of 2.5 if the diameter is 42mm. Applying a factor of 2.5 to the lug to lug translates to approximately 50mm lug to lug rather than the 54mm quoted in a couple of places. I wonder which one is correct. Such long lugs would make this unwearable for me. That would be a crying shame as I've wanted this watch for ages (and I'm on the reservation list too).
Perhaps someone else can try the same trick and see what answers they get.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

I reckon the L2L on the Apex is 49.3mm, just as on the standard Mk3 - and consistent with your "approximately 50mm" calculations. 54mm L2L would look daft on a 42mm case I think and the proportions don't seem to have changed in the images to suggest anything different.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
GreatScott
Senior
Senior

Post by GreatScott »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
timor54 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 pm Height of approx 16.5mm with a lug-to-lug of 54mm. A beast (monster) of a watch.

Maybe price is a factor of the watch mass?
Relatively the same, + or - a whisker, as the C60 Trident MkII with SH21 and the C60 Trident Pro Chronograph. :D

GreatScott wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm Oh good lawd, I just noticed something.

It is a black date wheel. There is literally no other black on this thing. Why would anyone spend this kind of cash and not get a nothing date wheel.

Specs are great but geez, attention to detail people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Is that a statement or a question?

No matter. The C60 Trident Elite 1000 had a black date wheel, as does the rest of the blue dial C60 Trident Mk3 versions, and it hasn't stopped those selling well (Elite is a 300 piece LE and is Sold out).

If it is a question; why would people buy it? Well; I am buying it because I like the watch as a whole and I do not have OCD over small items. :D

Now where are my credit card details?

Guy
Sorry, I was thrown off, couldn't think straight!

Question is the answer. I understand Omega did it, but that doesn't make it right. If it were dark blue it would still pop. Make it blue with orange as the date and it will pop as well. You just can't make it a color that are not on the watch anywhere else, makes it look like a parts bin job.

CW went to a lot of effort to make this a cool watch, but I just can't understand why this detail was overlooked. It is not due to cost, the retail of this thing is high so cost is not a factor. It appears to be a custom date wheel anyway, so make it match!

I understand many people don't care and I'm cool with that. If it were my company I would have done it differently, especially because the cost is not significant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

Paid for mine today. Remember to use the Autumn/Fall discount code. I actually talked to Scott Callaway. He will be calling US customers for this watch later today to confirm their reservations and give their credit cards a quick squeeze. Scott actually mentioned the discount code before I did and it will apply to the C60 Apex. I happen to be an early bird and pre-empted Scott's call. US customers on the reservation list should expect a call later today from CW.
Delivery is scheduled for mid-to-late September. Remember to watch your emails for anything from DHL regarding payment of import duty.
Mark
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Did you get £100 off?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

golfjunky wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:05 pm Did you get £100 off?
125 USD as I'm in the US. I presume that you would get the 100GBP if you're in the UK.
Mark
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:54 pm Paid for mine today. Remember to use the Autumn/Fall discount code. I actually talked to Scott Callaway. He will be calling US customers for this watch later today to confirm their reservations and give their credit cards a quick squeeze. Scott actually mentioned the discount code before I did and it will apply to the C60 Apex. I happen to be an early bird and pre-empted Scott's call. US customers on the reservation list should expect a call later today from CW.
Delivery is scheduled for mid-to-late September. Remember to watch your emails for anything from DHL regarding payment of import duty.
Good to hear Scott is still with CW, I recall reading he was leaving...or did I just dream that :?
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by albionphoto »

I'm not fully aware of the details but it was claimed that Scott's LinkedIn profile said he was leaving CW. I haven't checked this myself and I didn't raise the question today.
Mark
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 pm I'm not fully aware of the details but it was claimed that Scott's LinkedIn profile said he was leaving CW. I haven't checked this myself and I didn't raise the question today.
Mark, dropped you a PM about the Apex earlier.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

albionphoto wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:33 pm
golfjunky wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:05 pm Did you get £100 off?
125 USD as I'm in the US. I presume that you would get the 100GBP if you're in the UK.
You couldn't pay in GBP? That's significant savings, especially when your CC doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees.

GBP 2,787 (without VAT) is US$ 3,398 vs $3,865 so a difference of $467 (all after discounts) so that's a 14% premium for US customers.

You can directly order on the UK website and pay in GBP.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Spoke with Scott @ CW this afternoon and paid for mine, with a reserved serial number #053.

Now to get some watches sold to pay for it. :shock:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
balloons
Junior
Junior

Post by balloons »

Not for me although I do quite like it. That price puts it in a category for me where a CW would be way down the list.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

balloons wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 pm Not for me although I do quite like it. That price puts it in a category for me where a CW would be way down the list.
Not my case. I mean not for me and I don't even think I like it too much...

The thickness is a major issue, from a practical and esthetic point of view. I think that with such deep case back and the already thick bezel the mid case looks too thin and out of proportion.

Besides, technical merits aside, you need to have a very strong brand loyalty to buy a CW at that price point. There are many more established options at those prices.

But for those who like it, it's clearly a technically interesting watch, no doubt.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I tried the Apex on at the GTG on Saturday. A very good looking watch and looking top down at the wrist, it's a nice size and doesn't wear that large.

The issue though as others have said, is the 15.5mm height, it is a very tall watch. So you need to be comfortable with that before buying.

Yes the price is a lot, particularly for CW, and it's history of more modest priced watches. The brand is going upmarket though in terms of quality and price. With the Armin Strom inputs and the rarity and uniqueness of the watch, the price becomes more justifiable.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way