FLE #8 - poll #2

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Please check all that apply (See photos below)

I would buy #1 with……
10%
I would buy #2 with…..
10%
I would buy #3 with....
5%
Red tip sweep hand
10%
Red sweep hand
9%
Applied Device (twin flags)
12%
Exhibition case back clear
17%
Exhibition case back smoked
4%
Exhibition case back with device (twin flags) imprint
2%
I would buy in a 38mm size
5%
I would buy in a 42mm size
15%

Total votes: 277

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: FLE #8 - poll #2

Post by Mikkei4 »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:15 pm I know I don't have any vested interest, but wouldn't it be better to get rid of Automatic altogether and replace it with Trident?
Likewise and I agree "Trident" would be better.

And going back to the seconds hand - black base with red lume pip and point. And clear exhibition back.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

downer wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 am I no longer have any skin in this game but if you are looking for inspiration concerning seconds hand colours, it may be worth looking at the Explorer II 16750. White dial, markers and hands outlined in black, red GMT accent - and a black seconds hand.

I realise the watch is different, but I think Rolex know a thing or two about long-lasting design.
Interesting observation. I do wonder what CW would have come up with as the design if given the following mandate:

“As an FLE the forum members have decided that they would like a white dial, two tone ceramic bezel Trident GMT with a splash of red. Please design one!”

Adrian B knows how to design a decent looking watch - it’s his job!

It is great to see the enthusiasm shown by members, with all the various very slightly different versions of a white dial GMT, with each having its own advocates. However the problem maybe that having given people a vote, everyone has their own view on what is best. Sometimes views become entrenched, even if an expert (Adrian B) puts forward their recommendation of what is best.

The end result is then a muddle in which insufficient numbers back any version and everyone goes around in circles. With reflection folk may even come to the conclusion that it was a mistake even voting on it and AB’s design was the best all along.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

How about a reverse process?

I won't be participating at 42mm, but I think the ideas have resulted in a fantastic looking FLE (so far).

Now we've got something that meets the most popular criteria, if Kip could forward the latest mock-ups on to AB, it'd be great to get his feedback, voice any concerns (for example, white lume on lighter part of bezel) and put forth any suggestions.

I'm sure he's got plenty of work to get on with at CW towers, so this should be much easier for him to do.
Ryan
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Can anyone explain why the 40mm was never, please correct me if I'm wrong, an option? I get it that 42mm may be to large for some, I have an ACAN and as much as I like it, it is a bit of a beast. Likewise 38 too small on an 8in wrist. Seems the goldilocks size was passed over from the start.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
downer

Post by downer »

watchaholic wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 pm Can anyone explain why the 40mm was never, please correct me if I'm wrong, an option? I get it that 42mm may be to large for some, I have an ACAN and as much as I like it, it is a bit of a beast. Likewise 38 too small on an 8in wrist. Seems the goldilocks size was passed over from the start.
It's not an option because CW don't sell a 40mm GMT variant - meaning they have not engineered that case/movement combination. As the GMT seems to be favourite for the FLE, it means the 40mm case is out of scope.
Richard
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Gotcha, thanks
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

watchaholic wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 pm Can anyone explain why the 40mm was never, please correct me if I'm wrong, an option? I get it that 42mm may be to large for some, I have an ACAN and as much as I like it, it is a bit of a beast. Likewise 38 too small on an 8in wrist. Seems the goldilocks size was passed over from the start.
I was also looking for the 40mm option to tick
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

I have voted for #1 with a red sweep but my strong preference would be for an all black sweep second hand.

That may be a deal breaker for me.
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
lisnalee
Guru
Guru

Post by lisnalee »

Magnus wrote:I have voted for #1 with a red sweep but my strong preference would be for an all black sweep second hand.

That may be a deal breaker for me.
I agree with you, an all black seconds hand is the best looking option to go for.

There is already enough red accents with the 12 O'Clock Triangle, depth rating text and the GMT pointer all in red.

"omne trium perfectum"
C7 Rapide Day-Date COSC LE #10/100
C60 Trident Elite 1000 COSC LE #50/300
C1 Grand Malvern Small Second COSC