Discuss Christopher Ward watches
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: C60 Trident Pro 600 Issues

Post by FloridaPhil »

Craig64 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:09 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 pm Nonsense. My local watchmaker regulated my 13 year old (at the time 10 year old) Eta 2824 watch to within 2 seconds per day. He did it as part of the standard service fee which was, if I recall correctly, somewhere in the region of $250.

It's not rocket science and it doesn't take a great deal of time to do. You are not regulating a non-COSC movement in 5 positions - you are just making simple adjustments. It's a shame that the ethos of 'good enough' seems to be in play.
I disagree.
Their C60 Tridents from new are expected to be with accuracy of +/-20 seconds per day.
I would consider it perfectly reasonable following a service, to have the accuracy restored to the levels of a brand new model, that is +/-20 seconds per day.
You just made my point.. meh, good enough. Thank you.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Craig64 wrote:
FloridaPhil wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:54 pm Nonsense. My local watchmaker regulated my 13 year old (at the time 10 year old) Eta 2824 watch to within 2 seconds per day. He did it as part of the standard service fee which was, if I recall correctly, somewhere in the region of $250.

It's not rocket science and it doesn't take a great deal of time to do. You are not regulating a non-COSC movement in 5 positions - you are just making simple adjustments. It's a shame that the ethos of 'good enough' seems to be in play.
I disagree.
Their C60 Tridents from new are expected to be with accuracy of +/-20 seconds per day.
I would consider it perfectly reasonable following a service, to have the accuracy restored to the levels of a brand new model, that is +/-20 seconds per day.
Which is exactly what I suggested CW will do.

What I also suggested, is that they will not 'regulate' the timekeeping to the best for the given movement.

Seems that my original comments have not been understood in the manner intended. Apologies if they were not clear enough.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

mvlow wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pm I sent my C60 Trident Vintage in for a warranty repair at the beginning of the year for a stiff/grinding winding mechanism when manually winding the crown. This issue developed after about a year of ownership. The repair stated on the return invoice was "Clean reverse wheels."

Included with the no charge invoice paperwork was a booklet that showed what was done during the inspection and repair process. Note that on the second page they have checked the box for Movement "Adjust Rate." Also on the third page it shows it was put on a time grapher with a result of +5 and +9. Based on this paperwork it appears if they do a repair to the movement they also adjust the movement to ensure it is within specs.

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg
Well, that’s odd.
At the beginning of the year my C1 GMPR went back after only 2 months ownership as it wasn’t self winding. Came back 2 months later with no notes or explanation as to what repairs they carried out.
When I asked about if they told me they no longer supply technicians notes as to what they did as it was under warrantee therefore I didn’t need to know!
:thumbdown:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

mvlow wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pmIncluded with the no charge invoice paperwork was a booklet that showed what was done during the inspection and repair process. Note that on the second page they have checked the box for Movement "Adjust Rate." Also on the third page it shows it was put on a time grapher with a result of +5 and +9. Based on this paperwork it appears if they do a repair to the movement they also adjust the movement to ensure it is within specs.
Of course otherwise it's difficult to know if the movement is working correctly, I would have thought it only good practice to always put them on a timegrapher, probably before and after repair.

I looked at the CW website and I think they sell themselves short with the servicing and repairs section. It's an area where brand and perception of quality and desirability is developed in the mind of the owner and potential purchaser.

When I last had my Rolex serviced in Singapore, I went in and asked them how much it would cost, they told me and I asked them what if they found problems. They simply said that the standard price dealt with ANY problem within the watch, as many parts as were required and whatever was needed to bring the watch back to perfect running order. It was a service price and the service given was like no other. The only thing they said was not included was a case and bracelet factory refurb, which they offered for a small extra price and I eagerly accepted. Would I take my Rolex back to them in future if I have an extended stay there...of course I would, without question.

Wouldn't it be great if CW had the same published philosphy, a price for each movement type, quartz, hand wound, automatic/date, complication. Within that it was all going to be made right and a description of what they do when they service your timepiece. For all I know that's what they do? For those who might say yes but the cost of parts...it's negligible, the movement has to be dismantled and put together again in a proper service, it costs very little more to put a new part in instead of a well worn out of spec part..

They could even have service plans, pay a small amount each month or upfront for your watch to be serviced every so often while you own it...much like the extended service plans we can get on new cars....

Creating a brand is more than just about the product, after all there are plenty of good watchmakers about and plenty of 2824 movements.
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm When I last had my Rolex serviced in Singapore, I went in and asked them how much it would cost, they told me and I asked them what if they found problems. They simply said that the standard price dealt with ANY problem within the watch, as many parts as were required and whatever was needed to bring the watch back to perfect running order. It was a service price and the service given was like no other.
I have heard others say the same thing with Rolex, in that the quoted service price covers the lot.

Would I be alone in thinking that with such a comprehensive, all inclusive servicing policy, there is hardly any point in having the watch routinely serviced?

Instead, wait until the watch shows the slightest sign of needing a service, and then book it in.
Regards
Craig
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Craig64 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 pmI have heard others say the same thing with Rolex, in that the quoted service price covers the lot. Would I be alone in thinking that with such a comprehensive, all inclusive servicing policy, there is hardly any point in having the watch routinely serviced?

Instead, wait until the watch shows the slightest sign of needing a service, and then book it in.
That would be my philosophy yes, if the watch starts loosing significantly, or perhaps sound different, or importantly, fail to start when wound unless you shake it gently, then pop it in for a service. It does depend on wear (assuming it's not kept on a winder, which I would never do). The lubricants they use are good for extended periods and if the watch is kept cool (e.g. not in a sunny shop window) etc.. no reason why they won't last a very long time. Oh and never ever get it serviced by anyone but Rolex, or they will disown you :)

I don't know if they still include all the parts, they did at that time, the refurb of case and bracelet was ridiculously cheap and was a no brainer, when they handed the watch back to me (I got this free green leather travel pouch thing), they apologised that they could bring it back quite to as new condition...as far as I was concerned it was pretty close.. I have not really worn it since, just run it occasionally once a year. It's a 34mm size (no including crown), so perhaps considered small nowadays, but it did save it from having too hard a life...as they are not so prone to knocks. I had smaller wrists back then too ;) The service in Singapore all in with the refurb was £133.80 (it was 2.9 Sing $ to the pound then) I just checked the service recpt.. Things have gone up a lot in sing and the exchange rate come down... so I think it would be a much more now.

I suppose I believe the Microbrands like CW should really be concentrating on the service because at the end of the day that's what makes a big difference in the ownership experience.

P.S. I do think Rolex are right up themselves now and the prices are silly money.....
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

DavecUK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm
I suppose I believe the Microbrands like CW should really be concentrating on the service because at the end of the day that's what makes a big difference in the ownership experience.

P.S. I do think Rolex are right up themselves now and the prices are silly money.....
I think you are absolutely bang on the money here.
I am a massive fan of the CW concept, I absolutely love their products, they are a game changer. However, I am very conscious of the CS issues that have been reported on this forum within the last year.
If CW can get a grip on the customer service issues, they will in my opinion, go through the roof in a positive way!

In terms of Rolex service costs, my wife's Datejust, serviced 18 months ago (UK dealer), cost £400.
I would expect today's price to be in the region of £500?
Regards
Craig
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Craig64 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 pm
DavecUK wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 pm When I last had my Rolex serviced in Singapore, I went in and asked them how much it would cost, they told me and I asked them what if they found problems. They simply said that the standard price dealt with ANY problem within the watch, as many parts as were required and whatever was needed to bring the watch back to perfect running order. It was a service price and the service given was like no other.
I have heard others say the same thing with Rolex, in that the quoted service price covers the lot.

Would I be alone in thinking that with such a comprehensive, all inclusive servicing policy, there is hardly any point in having the watch routinely serviced?

That's not the case with Rolex U.K.

In January I had my Sub serviced at Rolex (U.k) service centre in London. I was quoted the service price which included stripping, cleaning, reassembly, polishing, pressure testing and QC. Anything else they would email me with cost and permission to carry out additional work.
They emailed me with service cost (fixed) and told me I needed a new crown pin @ £49 inc vat.
I emailed back to give go-ahead.
So no, a UK Rolex service doesn't encompass everything. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

This was my bill from Rolex Service Centre in April 2015.

Full Service £460.00
To replace the glass as it it is chipped £78.00
To fit 1 link as requested £52.00
To replace the crown as it is marked/dented and worn £52.00
Optional - to replace the bezel insert as it is marked £38.00

Price includes postage, packaging, insurance and VAT.

Please Note: All parts are replaced on an exchange basis only.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

DavecUK wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm
Craig64 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:58 pmI have heard others say the same thing with Rolex, in that the quoted service price covers the lot. Would I be alone in thinking that with such a comprehensive, all inclusive servicing policy, there is hardly any point in having the watch routinely serviced?

That would be my philosophy yes, if the watch starts loosing significantly, or perhaps sound different, or importantly, fail to start when wound unless you shake it gently, then pop it in for a service. It does depend on wear (assuming it's not kept on a winder, which I would never do). The lubricants they use are good for extended periods and if the watch is kept cool (e.g. not in a sunny shop window) etc.. no reason why they won't last a very long time. Oh and never ever get it serviced by anyone but Rolex, or they will disown you :)

I don't know if they still include all the parts, they did at that time, the refurb of case and bracelet was ridiculously cheap and was a no brainer, when they handed the watch back to me (I got this free green leather travel pouch thing), they apologised that they could bring it back quite to as new condition...as far as I was concerned it was pretty close.. I have not really worn it since, just run it occasionally once a year. It's a 34mm size (no including crown), so perhaps considered small nowadays, but it did save it from having too hard a life...as they are not so prone to knocks. I had smaller wrists back then too ;) The service in Singapore all in with the refurb was £133.80 (it was 2.9 Sing $ to the pound then) I just checked the service recpt.. Things have gone up a lot in sing and the exchange rate come down... so I think it would be a much more now.

Latest invoice from a UK Rolex service centre that I have is about £430. Has increased since then. Maybe 10%-15% more, albeit that Rolex have increased service costs and RRP far less than other brands in the past 6-7 years.

There are parts automatically replaced at service, albeit not specified on the invoice. Items like crown and crystal are not included in basic service cost, but refurbishment of case and bracelet are (no experience of non UK service centres).

ADs were advised by Rolex a few years ago that service intervals for most owners were about 10 years. Whilst not a specific recommendation it is now generally accepted that there is no need to have a Rolex serviced every 5 minutes. Again a welcome departure from the BS of many brands who suggest a service approx. every 4 years regardless of the pattern of wear.

Neil

PS: I don’t think that Rolex are “right up themselves now” - probably more down to the change in customer base. As to the prices, it’s more the perfect storm of increased demand, a depreciating UK currency, the Instagram effect and the must have now generation fuelling grey market prices. The days of folk wanting a Rolex because of its robustness and adverts in the National Geographic are a distant memory. :)
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
maniac_mike

Post by maniac_mike »

I hate to revive an old threat but I have some concerns. After reading through quite a few of these threads where people have returned watches that have clear QC issues, only for Christopher Ward to return them and basically say "everything looks good to us"....i'm scared to send my watch to them!

Let me remind you, this is a very sentimental watch that hasn't left my wrist for years. If I am sending these in for repair and I specify exactly the repairs I want (even though they are very subtle), they won't send it back to me with a "we don't see anything wrong" message, right? Especially considering that I am paying for these repairs I want done.

My hour hand is slightly bent to the right, very hard to see in certain lighting, I want a brand new one put on. My bezel also aligns slightly to the left, again...very hard to notice but it's there. Can I be CERTAIN that they will complete these two tasks? The bottom line is that I live in the US, and I'd be super frustrated to wait Christopher Ward's legendary repair queue time only to get the watch back to have nothing done to it.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

maniac_mike wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:16 pm I hate to revive an old threat but I have some concerns. After reading through quite a few of these threads where people have returned watches that have clear QC issues, only for Christopher Ward to return them and basically say "everything looks good to us"....i'm scared to send my watch to them!

Let me remind you, this is a very sentimental watch that hasn't left my wrist for years. If I am sending these in for repair and I specify exactly the repairs I want (even though they are very subtle), they won't send it back to me with a "we don't see anything wrong" message, right? Especially considering that I am paying for these repairs I want done.

My hour hand is slightly bent to the right, very hard to see in certain lighting, I want a brand new one put on. My bezel also aligns slightly to the left, again...very hard to notice but it's there. Can I be CERTAIN that they will complete these two tasks? The bottom line is that I live in the US, and I'd be super frustrated to wait Christopher Ward's legendary repair queue time only to get the watch back to have nothing done to it.
I believe it was established early on in this thread that any cosmetic repairs will unlikely be covered by their movement warranty.

You can contact them through the site at https://www.christopherward.co.uk/cserv ... nd-repairs or email them at repairs@christopherward.co.uk providing details of the work you think you require. They may be able to provide an estimate but they will probably want to assess the watch first once received to give a firm price. I would expect to pay for a standard service plus the extra work that you require.

In terms of them returning your watch and stating that there isn't an issue, I think your circumstance is entirely different to others found on the forum. They will have quoted for the work that is to be done and that is what you can expect after paying and receiving your watch back. If the service is not completed as quoted for then that becomes an issue of the contract formed and you can look to your card provider to help in this disagreement but I am sure that will not be necessary.

Good luck with your service if this is what you choose to do - Personally I would accept the faults in your watch after all this time and look upon them fondly as the story of your wear and the sentimentality it brings :-)
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

mvlow wrote:I sent my C60 Trident Vintage in for a warranty repair at the beginning of the year for a stiff/grinding winding mechanism when manually winding the crown. This issue developed after about a year of ownership. The repair stated on the return invoice was "Clean reverse wheels."

Included with the no charge invoice paperwork was a booklet that showed what was done during the inspection and repair process. Note that on the second page they have checked the box for Movement "Adjust Rate." Also on the third page it shows it was put on a time grapher with a result of +5 and +9. Based on this paperwork it appears if they do a repair to the movement they also adjust the movement to ensure it is within specs.

IMG_3249.jpg
IMG_3250.jpg
IMG_3251.jpg
Ohh, very nice.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk