Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Would you buy one of these as the next Forum Limited Edition?

Post by iain »

I think I have stated this elsewhere, but I will state it here again so my vote is captured. If we are looking at a white dial GMT, especially one with black hands, then I’m in and am happy to make quite a few compromises on accent colours and wording. Smoked dial GMT, probably 50/50 depending on how the final design turns out. However a standard trident is a no for me, whether steel, PVD or smoked dial.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:23 pm
For me WR300 would be fine but I purposely didn't mention a display caseback as an option in case WR600 did matter to some plus I have no idea of how attractive the movements are.
To be honest, as long as it's not quartz I like a look at any movement. It's the engineering that fascinates about me mechanical watches and I'll, even now, find myself gazing in wonder at a simple ETA 2824-2.

if we can go display back (I agree 300m WR would be enough as most won't even go near a tap) It might be worth considering the cost of adding some decoration to the movement, even if it just engraving/personalising the rotor. There is potential to get loads of text on there!!!

To pick up an earlier question...I've said for a while that I don't need another straight three hand diver. But then an LE is not a straight diver. My main interest in this process is to have something a bit special and unusual so if we came up with something that fits that bill, I'd still be in. That said, there are more things that would knock me out. Transparent dial, almost definitely, blue PVD? jury is still out. But at this stage I'd never say never.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Steve's budget suggestion makes good sense.

I'd be happy with 300m/transparent also, particularly if no additional cost. I also think that any caseback costs should be very contained (I'd endorse £10-15) but no harm in exploring practical options.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

"I prefer the full red sweep hand but could compromise on red tip and lume pip - tip only doesn't work IMHO"

I agree with this exactly.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 15

Post by Andy-Smith »

I would definitely buy the white dial GMT, full red second hand and the lovely two tone ceramic grey dial. Also the bracelet. (ready to pay my deposit)!

I would not buy any dark/black dial.

Is it time time to see how many would sign up to buy the various models suggested?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Not to beat a dead horse, as I think the blue case is a non contender, but has the PVD process improved enough to even be considered? Just 5 years ago, a case with black PVD would show considerable wear after a years use. OTOH, the black DLC on my C8 shows no sign of wear, even on the crown, being manual wind, I'm guessing this would be the first to go.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior

Post by Andy-Smith »

It will wear, you will ding it, you will scratch it and if you do how can it be refinished?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

Agreed, I thought the PVC coatings had been all but abandoned, and replaced with the DLC. Recently there seems to be a bit of resurgence, and thought there may have been an improvement in the process. Probably a subject for a new topic.
Dwight
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I am investigating the possibility of the exhibition case back and will advise.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Andy-Smith
Senior
Senior

Post by Andy-Smith »

Kip wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:58 am I am investigating the possibility of the exhibition case back and will advise.
Sounds great Kip.
baldrick
Senior
Senior

Post by baldrick »

I like the idea of an exhibition back and 300m will do fine (I actually use my dive watches for diving and I think only one or two have greater than 300m WR).

Quick question, though. I agree that an exhibition back is only really worthwhile if your movement is worth looking at. So, what about a customised rotor?

Edit 1: I see Macdaz has the same idea. Great minds, etc...

One other unrelated question: difficult to tell from the designs but, for the GMTs, are we agreed that the twin flags should be applied, not printed?

Edit 2: For the non-smoked dials, that is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

baldrick wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:22 pm

One other unrelated question: difficult to tell from the designs but, for the GMTs, are we agreed that the twin flags should be applied, not printed?

An applied device looks prohibitively expensive (new tooling) so it will be embossed (as current mk3s) rather then printed as I understand it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

H0rati0 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:36 pm
baldrick wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:22 pm

An applied device looks prohibitively expensive (new tooling) so it will be embossed (as current mk3s) rather then printed as I understand it.
By "applied device" do you mean the twin flags? As far as I can see the flags on the C7 range look as if they are applied although I don't know if they'd be the right size for the proposed FLE GMT. Surely if they've been produced for another CW watch there'd be no need for new tooling? Am I wrong?

It's the embossed name logo that was going to be expensive as there wasn't any tooling presently.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

Kip, throwing out another idea completely different here but do notice a number of comments stating “yet another diver”.

Is it possible to make a “field watch” with the 40mm C60 case with crown guards. Essentially the C65 vintage in a larger size with crown guards and more of a “sporty” “field” dial? This would imply that a solid steel, non-rotating bezel could be made for the 40mm case.

Benefits are twofold. Genuinely a custom watch that is relatively safe it won’t be replicated in any fashion by CW, the 40mm size that appeals to a wider audience.

Could even turn it into a GMT with an internal chapter ring.
Attachments
6FFAF93D-361D-4B6A-9FED-FE6B862296F9.jpeg
9F6743ED-88EE-43AB-B2D1-A34868FC7AC6.jpeg
D373F740-1879-45CA-8705-C4AE209D34CD.jpeg
AB2521BD-8253-4F88-9DB9-3D977B027838.jpeg
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

srs1286 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 pm Kip, throwing out another idea completely different here but do notice a number of comments stating “yet another diver”.

Is it possible to make a “field watch” with the 40mm C60 case with crown guards. Essentially the C65 vintage in a larger size with crown guards and more of a “sporty” “field” dial? This would imply that a solid steel, non-rotating bezel could be made for the 40mm case.

Benefits are twofold. Genuinely a custom watch that is relatively safe it won’t be replicated in any fashion by CW, the 40mm size that appeals to a wider audience.

Could even turn it into a GMT with an internal chapter ring.
I would be all over field watch!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE