Trident C60 where would it stand?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Ringwood

Trident C60 where would it stand?

Post by Ringwood »

I know the very good reasons why CW do not sell in the shops, its something I agree with entirely. The only difficulty is comparing a CW to another watch.

I'm assuming that some of you who own a C60 Trident has own, or have owned or are familiar with other good quality diver watches. In this list where would you place a CW Trident automatic, not in terms of cost/value (that is already a given) but overall quality, finish, durability and living with the watch?

Omega Seamaster Pro
Longines Hydroconquest
Tag Heuer Aqua Racer
Davosa Ternos
Certina DS Action Diver
Tissot SeaStar 1000
Steinhart Ocean One
Squale Squalematic 60ATM
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Trident C60 where would it stand?

Post by albionphoto »

Omega Seamaster Pro Ref 212 (pre Basel world 2018, I own the Omega and a 2 x Mk II C60) versus the Trident C60 Pro - No reason to buy the Omega. Versus the new ZrO2 Ref 210 then the Omega is a number of steps ahead of the C60 Mk II. It's almost certainly ahead of the C60 Mk III as well. The old ref 212 SeaMaster was a stretch in terms of value for money. The new ZrO2 Ref 210 is definitely worth the money.
You didn't mention the Oris Aquis but I'd say the Tridents compare very well to the Oris Aquis and, arguably, makes the Aquis look expensive at RRP.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

What the heck... Here's my Ref 210 as well...

ImageOmega Seamaster Diver 300M by Mark Wheeler, on Flickr

I haven't seen the C60 Mk III yet and I might buy one but the Omega is now a class or two ahead; as it should be for the price.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Ringwood wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 pm I know the very good reasons why CW do not sell in the shops, its something I agree with entirely. The only difficulty is comparing a CW to another watch.

I'm assuming that some of you who own a C60 Trident has own, or have owned or are familiar with other good quality diver watches. In this list where would you place a CW Trident automatic, not in terms of cost/value (that is already a given) but overall quality, finish, durability and living with the watch?

Omega Seamaster Pro
Longines Hydroconquest
Tag Heuer Aqua Racer
Davosa Ternos
Certina DS Action Diver
Tissot SeaStar 1000
Steinhart Ocean One
Squale Squalematic 60ATM
Hmm. I am vaguely aware of most but probably not all of the watches you list which span mainstream and enthusiast/microbrand ranges and own or have owned some of them. Trying my best to ignore issues of personal taste and placing these watches side by side I'd say that if you like the Omega Seamaster but for whatever reason want to spend a figure in £hundreds rather than £thousands you aren't going to be far off the mark. The C60 will give you the look and will give you a deeper case with less detail in the design.

Permit me to expand a minute.... if, like me, you've found CW on your way up the watch food chain rather than by looking down from higher up you'll probably find the brand to be thoroughly satisfying. Moving up from CW to Omega I went through a phase of not seeing what the fuss was about or whether the price differential was justified. To some extent this is a matter of opinion but it IS possible to appreciate the difference.
Now I keep both and enjoy them in their own way.
Obviously in terms of customer support networks and resources, the two brands are poles apart.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

See the trident/omega comparison quite a bit and, as has been stated is my personal opinion, the omega is miles ahead in every aspect.
More refined, details, more comfortable, and even though I think the trident's bracelet is excellent, the omega's us just awesome.
Heritage, and obviously movement, omega wins hands down.
Just my thoughts.....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

angusbon wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:38 am See the trident/omega comparison quite a bit and, as has been stated is my personal opinion, the omega is miles ahead in every aspect.
More refined, details, more comfortable, and even though I think the trident's bracelet is excellent, the omega's us just awesome.
Heritage, and obviously movement, omega wins hands down.
Just my thoughts.....

This sums up my view perfectly.

CW is a very nice watch and does a good job of bridging the middle ground between cheap & cheerful and the likes of Omega.

The only way I can explain is to say that with the Omega all of the elements that are a bit better add up to more than the sum of their parts in the overall comparison stakes.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

More eloquently put than myself, and absolutely spot on

Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Thanks

And aside from Omega? Longines, Certina, Davosa, Oris, Seiko diver watches which fill the entry level to mid luxury bracket?
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Thanks, That's lovely Omega you have there, one I've not seen before. Perhaps the inclusion of the Omega was a little too much. I like the comparison to the Oris which I should have included although I'm more familiar with Longines so a comparison between the Trident and HydroConquest would be most useful.
albionphoto wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:32 am Omega Seamaster Pro Ref 212 (pre Basel world 2018, I own the Omega and a 2 x Mk II C60) versus the Trident C60 Pro - No reason to buy the Omega. Versus the new ZrO2 Ref 210 then the Omega is a number of steps ahead of the C60 Mk II. It's almost certainly ahead of the C60 Mk III as well. The old ref 212 SeaMaster was a stretch in terms of value for money. The new ZrO2 Ref 210 is definitely worth the money.
You didn't mention the Oris Aquis but I'd say the Tridents compare very well to the Oris Aquis and, arguably, makes the Aquis look expensive at RRP.
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

I have a Certina DS Action diver and a few C60 Tridents.

For me, although the Certina is a great looking watch that I very much enjoy wearing, the C60 Trident I think, is a slightly better made watch and stands above the Certina.

Early into owning my Certina, the pin and collar in the shoulder link on the steel bracelet, started to slide out. The pins and collars(tubes) on both sides were found to be insecure, and not good quality, so I replaced them to fix this issue. Also the C60 bezel has a higher quality finish, and is ceramic, where as the Certina is not ceramic.

The screw down action of the crown on the Certina is superbly smooth and solid. It feels better than that on my Mk2 C60 watches, but of course the Mk3 C60 crown action has been improved, so in my mind it is now on par with the Certina in this regard.

Overall, I regard both as great watches, especially at their sub £1K price points.
Regards
Craig
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

I had an older model Oris TT 1 which I absolutely loved.
It's true the trident is probably close to it and is certainly more expensive, but I must admit I would still go with Oris.
All my opinions are based on the mkii, which I do find to be hard work to wear

Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

A rather good way to decide where they fit in the hierarchy of things for yourself, would be to order one and take a look. You have two months to fondle & compare!
Steve.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

This is a familiar question on here and not one I really see the point of. I guess I can understand some trying to create some sort of pecking order, but at the end of the day, it's purely subjective. By the time I bought my vintage C60 back in December 2015, I already owned a few divers, but comparison wasn't in my mind. I simply liked the Vintage Trident in it's own right and still do. At the price I paid it represented excellent value for money and I wasn't disappointed with the quality. I still like the design and feel it has stood the test of time well and it still get's a fair amount of wear. Just treat it as the individual watch it is.
'Tis me
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

The point is simple, I can go into any watch shop and take a look at the watches I like and judge for myself. CW I have only pictures, which look great, and users comments.

Its a matter of choice at the moment I'm pretty torn between the Certina and the Longines and the CW Trident, two I can look at for myself and one I can't so rely to an extent on other peoples experience. Ever brought a car on the basis of an advert? I haven't, but I have brought one on the basis of a recommendation and comparison and its the same with a watch

Pointless replies like "buy one and find out for yourself" are pretty unhelpful as my pension does not stretch to £600 mistakes and, to be honest, some of the negative comments about faults and poor customer service that I've been reading on this forum are making me question even more which one to buy.

I like the Certina yet prefer bits about the Longines (enough to warrant the extra £200 or so I'm not sure) and I'm confident of the quality in both. I like everything I've seen of the CW Trident but am concerned by all the negative comments. I'm not asking for opinions on the aesthetic aspects but on the hands on feel and quality of the watch and that is less subjective and more objective.

Caller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:59 pm This is a familiar question on here and not one I really see the point of. I guess I can understand some trying to create some sort of pecking order, but at the end of the day, it's purely subjective. By the time I bought my vintage C60 back in December 2015, I already owned a few divers, but comparison wasn't in my mind. I simply liked the Vintage Trident in it's own right and still do. At the price I paid it represented excellent value for money and I wasn't disappointed with the quality. I still like the design and feel it has stood the test of time well and it still get's a fair amount of wear. Just treat it as the individual watch it is.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Ringwood wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 pm The point is simple, I can go into any watch shop and take a look at the watches I like and judge for myself. CW I have only pictures, which look great, and users comments.

Pointless replies like "buy one and find out for yourself" are pretty unhelpful as my pension does not stretch to £600 mistakes and, to be honest, some of the negative comments about faults and poor customer service that I've been reading on this forum are making me question even more which one to buy.
What watch would be the £600 mistake?
What is being suggested to you is for you to buy the Trident model that you like and have a good close look at it during the 60 days within which you can return it to CW if you don't like it as much as any other of the brands you mention. Even take it into the shop that sells the other watches to make a direct comparison. As long as you don't wear or damage the CW you can return it to CW for a full refund if you prefer 1 of the others. I wouldn't consider that too much effort if it allowed me to make the correct choice of watch - it might even get the shop to offer you 1 of the others at a discounted price to get your business.

Doesn't seem a pointless reply to me.

Faults and poor CS? I'm 1 of these that have been very critical of the recent more stupid and poor CW staff responses to the issues re. repairs. However I honestly believe it is a purely a phase that they will get out of although personally I'm holding off buying another watch until IMO there is real evidence of this bad phase ending.