Trident C60 where would it stand?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Trident C60 where would it stand?

Post by Thermexman »

^^^Thanks Mikkie4. If the OP took the time to study the CW buying experience a little more closely, he might understand the 60/60 buying protection, that allows you to try it first. Admittedly, it’s more of a faff if you live abroad but as he doesn’t, what’s he got to lose?

Methinks he doth be a little too quick to call my reply pointless. A little unfriendly for a newbie. Way to start a friendship!

Unless, of course, he’s been here before?
Steve.
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Odd that you're holding off yet advising me to buy. What if I buy a watch, don't like it or there is a fault and I end up stuck with it? Having to prove that whatever the issue is isn't something I've caused. After all the poor CS is enough to prevent you sticking your hand in your pocket

Faults and poor CS? I'm 1 of these that have been very critical of the recent more stupid and poor CW staff responses to the issues re. repairs and returns. However I honestly believe it is a purely a phase that they will get out of although personally I'm holding off buying another watch until IMO there is real evidence of this bad phase ending.
[/quote]
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by CBMVic20 »

I've not got / had all the watches in the list but my take is that leaving aside money and considering design, finish, fit, materials, movement, comfort, style, etc. I'd put CW at or near the top of the list with Omega, Longines, Tag, Certina and Tissot (not seen the others). I really like the thoughful design touches of the Trident such as the hands that actually extend all the way to the markers, and the bracelet with ratchet micro adjustment, or even the polished applied indices and extra helping of lume on the new Mk3. Best of all is the 5 year warranty which Omega only started offering last year.

A quick 30 second run down of the others:
  • The SeaStar in particular is well made. I like mine and got it after the Trident.
  • With an Omega, you pay for the name, heritage and chronometer movement. I got rid of it because I'm not interested in paying more for any of those things and replaced it with a couple of Tridents.
  • Longines Hydro is decent but not keen on the design and the winder on the I tried felt really sticky.
  • The Tag's are not as well made as they would have you believe. Somebody has to pay for all those marketing campaigns with the guy who drowned in Titanic.
Worth bearing in mind too that Tissot, Longines and Omega are all the same company (Swatch) but at different price points.

The CW has a 60/60 guarantee so why not just order and then take it into a shop to compare with other watches? If you prefer the non-CW watch then simply return it within the 60/60 period and someobody else will be able to snap up a great "nearly new" CW watch during the next sale :)

It's all subjective anyway so whatever you read here is not necessarily going to be the same views you share.
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Ringwood wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm Odd that you're holding off yet advising me to buy.
If you look back though all my interactions on here, at no point will you find any comment, from me, that suggests I’m holding off from buying anything from CW!

Odd that you chose to ignore my reference to you not necessarily being new on here though? I would have thought that that was more worthy of comment?
Steve.
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Sorry it was Mikkie14 who said they were holding off until this "phase" of poor customer service was over

If you look back though all my interactions on here, at no point will you find any comment, from me, that suggests I’m holding off from buying anything from CW!

If there are CS issues as some here have mentioned there is the possibility of a watch being unsatisfactory and any faults or damage found on delivery leaving me stuck with a watch and having to prove that those faults were not caused by me. I am not saying this is the case but you have to admit the potential given the fairly damning comments by some about customer service.

No I have not been here before

Odd that you chose to ignore my reference to you not necessarily being new on here though? I would have thought that that was more worthy of comment?
[/quote]
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Thank you for a most useful reply.
CBMVic20 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm I've not got / had all the watches in the list but my take is that leaving aside money and considering design, finish, fit, materials, movement, comfort, style, etc. I'd put CW at or near the top of the list with Omega, Longines, Tag, Certina and Tissot (not seen the others). I really like the thoughful design touches of the Trident such as the hands that actually extend all the way to the markers, and the bracelet with ratchet micro adjustment, or even the polished applied indices and extra helping of lume on the new Mk3. Best of all is the 5 year warranty which Omega only started offering last year.

A quick 30 second run down of the others:
  • The SeaStar in particular is well made. I like mine and got it after the Trident.
  • With an Omega, you pay for the name, heritage and chronometer movement. I got rid of it because I'm not interested in paying more for any of those things and replaced it with a couple of Tridents.
  • Longines Hydro is decent but not keen on the design and the winder on the I tried felt really sticky.
  • The Tag's are not as well made as they would have you believe. Somebody has to pay for all those marketing campaigns with the guy who drowned in Titanic.
Worth bearing in mind too that Tissot, Longines and Omega are all the same company (Swatch) but at different price points.

The CW has a 60/60 guarantee so why not just order and then take it into a shop to compare with other watches? If you prefer the non-CW watch then simply return it within the 60/60 period and someobody else will be able to snap up a great "nearly new" CW watch during the next sale :)

It's all subjective anyway so whatever you read here is not necessarily going to be the same views you share.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Ringwood wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 pm Odd that you're holding off yet advising me to buy. What if I buy a watch, don't like it or there is a fault and I end up stuck with it? Having to prove that whatever the issue is isn't something I've caused. After all the poor CS is enough to prevent you sticking your hand in your pocket

Faults and poor CS? I'm 1 of these that have been very critical of the recent more stupid and poor CW staff responses to the issues re. repairs and returns. However I honestly believe it is a purely a phase that they will get out of although personally I'm holding off buying another watch until IMO there is real evidence of this bad phase ending.
[/quote]

I'm not advising you to buy. You're the 1 wanting to buy a watch and have listed the Trident as 1 you are considering. I'm telling you a way that you can see the Trident in the flesh at no risk unless you are careless enough to damage it. I'm telling you a way to be able to take a Trident into a watch shop to compare it in the flesh with the other watches you are considering. If you "don't like it" then you can return it within 60 days and get a full refund UNLESS you have damaged it. Take photos of the Trident when it arrives, take a video of you opening it if you don't trust CW.

If you think that you will be unable to do that then the Trident is not for you. Forget it, remove it from your list and go buy something else straight out of a shop.

I'm not wanting to buy ANY brand of watch at the moment. I'm trying to give advice to a "newbie" on here that has asked for advice - end of advice!
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Ringwood, AKA - '...............' (insert one of many in here) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

How easy is it to get a refund if the customer service is as bad as some suggest? The 60 day return seems like a good idea if the service behind it is satisfactory, but I gathered from a number of posts, including, I believe, yours, that it isn't.

I still like the look and specs of the watch but am concerned by the horror stories.

If you "don't like it" then you can return it within 60 days and get a full refund UNLESS you have damaged it. Take photos of the Trident when it arrives, take a video of you opening it if you don't trust CW.

If you think that you will be unable to do that then the Trident is not for you. Forget it, remove it from your list and go buy something else straight out of a shop.

[/quote]
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Is there a point to this reply?
TigerChris wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:33 pm Ringwood, AKA - '...............' (insert one of many in here) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Ringwood wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm How easy is it to get a refund if the customer service is as bad as some suggest? The 60 day return seems like a good idea if the service behind it is satisfactory, but I gathered from a number of posts, including, I believe, yours, that it isn't.

I still like the look and specs of the watch but am concerned by the horror stories.

If you "don't like it" then you can return it within 60 days and get a full refund UNLESS you have damaged it. Take photos of the Trident when it arrives, take a video of you opening it if you don't trust CW.

[/quote]

I don't recall stating that getting a refund is a nightmare/horror story otherwise I wouldn't have suggested ordering a Trident and returning it if you don't like it. You must have read it somewhere else.

As I've said previously it sounds like you have too many concerns for the CW product so forget it and go elsewhere to buy your next watch.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

I like CW watches and for what it's worth, if I were in the market for a new watch I'd take the punt, especially given the 60/60 waranty.

I have a Tudor Black Bay 36 for quality reference and the fit and finish is not a million miles away. The customer service from Tudor however, is in another league entirely and that forms part of the quality of the whole ownership experience.
Ringwood

Post by Ringwood »

Thanks, most useful
MarkingTime wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:16 pm I like CW watches and for what it's worth, if I were in the market for a new watch I'd take the punt, especially given the 60/60 waranty.

I have a Tudor Black Bay 36 for quality reference and the fit and finish is not a million miles away. The customer service from Tudor however, is in another league entirely and that forms part of the quality of the whole ownership experience.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

As a new member, and someone with no experience of CW in their earlier, happier, days, it’s reasonable for the OP to be a little wary of their promises, having read a plethora of complaints over the past several months. What is very telling is that a large portion of the complaining posts are initiated by new members. For some folks, a negative experience is their only CW experience; they don’t have a bank of goodwill built up over many years.

Buying one on spec under the 60/60 arrangement used to be a very sensible approach, for those based in the UK and the EU, but the dispatch of incorrect items, delays in sending out returns packs, difficulties contacting customer services, all of which have been flogged to death on this forum in recent months, are causing many seasoned customers take a breath, and so would it discourage potential new customers.

Ringwood - the 60/60 guarantee is a good way of seeing the item in the metal, and if you change your mind and return the item UNWORN! and undamaged within 60 days, you will get your money back (the process may take longer than it used to; it’s a while since I sent a watch back to CW) but if you are in the UK and use a UK credit card, then the card issuer will, under the Consumer Credit Act, cover any failure of CW to meet their obligations.

Now, back to your question..... I have 2 Bremont 3xx, an Oris Aquis, Oris 65, Tudor GMT (ok, that’s not really a Diver), all of which have a better build quality than my 3 CW C60 MK2s (but not all of them by as much as their price premium). I also have a Magrette Kara (about the same build quality) and a Zelos Mako (slightly lower quality, but still good).

In short, CWs punch above their price level, but they’re not the only ones who do that. I’d put Magrette & Zelos in the same category in that respect.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

MarkingTime wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:16 pm I have a Tudor Black Bay 36 for quality reference and the fit and finish is not a million miles away. The customer service from Tudor however, is in another league entirely and that forms part of the quality of the whole ownership experience.
To fuel the customer service debate a little, my Tudor GMT spent 7 weeks at Rolex under warranty repair, came back with a badly scratched case, and has been back with them a further 5 weeks, and no word of when it’s coming back, if at all, and in what condition. The big boys have their CS problems too.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot