Discuss Christopher Ward watches
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

The difference between watch colours.

Post by richtel »

(Cross-posted to CWE)

I've often held the thought that a dark-faced watch with a dark bezel will look larger than a light-faced watch with a dark bezel. Having taken a few comparison shots, I think that's still accurate. What do you think?
IMG_3261.jpg
IMG_3264.jpg
IMG_3265.jpg
IMG_3266.jpg
I'm not entirely sure why- perhaps the combination of dark face/dark bezel gives the impression of a wide overall dimension whereas the white face dials are dominated by the face, drawing the eye away from the bezel. I guess a white face/white bezel would be the control experiment.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Re: The difference between watch colours.

Post by Craig64 »

I think it is more complex than is immediately apparent.
In my opinion it is all about the colour contrast, and that especially includes the colour of the back ground of the surface on which the watch is mounted.

So, considering your images:

The watch mount pads are all very dark in colour. The watches with the pure white dials look the smallest, simply because the edge of those dials defines the apparent visual size, with their bezels (especially the black ones) and background blending in. The eye is drawn to the smaller white section.

If the watch mount pads were all white in colour, I suspect that the watches with the darker coloured bezels would appear pretty much as big as those with the white dials. Perhaps even appearing larger?

If the bezel colour is more vibrant than both its dial and back ground mount combined, then that watch would appear the largest, I think. For example, if the watch was mounted on black background with black dial and white bezel, than that would appear to be the biggest...?
Regards
Craig
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

Rich

Importantly, I totally overlooked complimenting your superb looking collection of tridents!
That red bezel/ white dial variant is my favourite of the four. :thumbup:
Regards
Craig
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Yes, nice collection. I too have a red/white (standard Trident on blue rubber) but yours looks great on the bracelet. Hmm, might have to find one of those.....

The black bezel with red pip also looks good, but maybe I am anyway biased to the white dials.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Thanks chaps. I think there’s definitely something about the contrast between dial and bezel which helps define whether a glance at the watch determines the overall dimensions or just the central dial. I find that irrespective of whether the watch is on the wrist or in the box, the white dial C60s appear smaller. Accordingly where there is no bezel on my C65 classics, there is no discernible difference between the black and white.

I do agree there’s more to it Craig. Other factors including the proportionate width of the bezel, depth of the rehaut and case shape also add to the equation. To me, it all adds to the list of peculiarities which make this watch admiration business so multi-dimensional.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Black dial/black bezel definitely gives the impression of a slightly larger watch.
Have to agree that the white face with red bezel is the stunner of the bunch. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue