Not So Much The Rolex of the Internet, perhaps more....

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Not So Much The Rolex of the Internet, perhaps more....

Post by PaulJS »

The Landrover of the watch world!

Bear with me while I explain my rationale:

Greater than my interest in watches is my passion for 4WD vehicles, of which there are three in the family. Now, I don't mean your Mickey Mouse pseudo efforts that are just pumped up hatch backs that will send a bit of drive to the back wheels when you press a button. I mean real 4WD drive off road vehicles so, again, I don't mean Landrovers. :D

Unfortunately, Landrover stopped producing real off road vehicles with the demise of the Defender and, truth be told, even the Defender wasn't really that good off road, but that is another story and I degress.

Look at this like this:

People flock in their droves to buy Discoveries, Rangerovers and Evokes safe in the knowledge that their pride and joy will arrive with bits that do not work, other bits that break or fall off in short order and that they can expect a breakdown shortly after delivery. Followed by many more faults and breakdowns and an incredibly expensive service regime that underpins this unreliability. Equally, when they first try to cross a muddy field with their 20 inch low profile tyres they will get stuck and have to be dragged out by a Mitsi or a Toyota!

Does this stop them? Not one bit.

Time and time again they go back for more mediocre product supported by dreadful dealer service, astronomical running costs and residuals that plummet.

While the whole of Africa and Australia ( not to mention the Middle East ( so I won't)) have cottoned on to the above reality ( and, lets be honest, these are places where you really do need a reliable product ) nobody knows why these Landrover obsessed people do not buy a Toyota which will do intergalactic mileage with barely a spanner applied ( and also make for a pretty good surface to air missile launch base if the need arises ) but they do.

Maybe this is the psyche that CW are attempting to tap into:

Potentially mediocre product + poor reliability + poor customer service + escalating servicing / repair costs = loyal customer base?

If so I think it is a pretty smart move if they can pull it off.

So, from now on, how about ditching the "Rolex of the Internet" in favour of "The Landrover of the Watch World"?

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Paul

PS For avoidance of any doubt, the above is just my attempt at humour........or is it? :thumbup:
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Not So Much The Rolex of the Internet, perhaps more....

Post by Ian Mc »

Hi Paul,
I have a series 3 landy for sale that would suit you just fine!
Ian
Time keeps on slipping into the future
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Hi Ian,
thanks for your kind offer - I seem to recall you posting about the acquisition of a old ( 1972 ish? ) Landrover that needed a bit of work.

There are the proper bits of kit IMO and great fun to own, drive and maintain.

Funnily enough I am considering a looking for a old Landy restoration project to keep me entertained during the dark winter months but, knowing your engineering skills, I suspect that yours has already been brought up to a high level.

Ask a ridiculous amount for it - someone will pay it!!!!

Why are you selling?

Cheers,

Paul

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Hi. Paul,
I am selling because it is not being used. I have done a few jobs on it, improving it a bit, but still stuff to do.
It is 1972 Lwb early S3. Drives well, Google engine etc. Perfect for your winter project😉
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Ian Mc wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:43 pm Hi. Paul,
I am selling because it is not being used. I have done a few jobs on it, improving it a bit, but still stuff to do.
It is 1972 Lwb early S3. Drives well, Google engine etc. Perfect for your winter project😉
Okay, so now I am intrigued - what precisely is a Google engine - one that's always searching for fuel maybe :lol:

I already have 3 just like that!!!

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Google engine...that was a good typo!
It's a 2.7l nissan diesel in it, and, yes it uses fuel quite quickly, but all old landy's do
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The moral of the story being that you should never wear a vintage Rolex in a Yummymummypanzerkampfwagen.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)