c60 vs samurai selita vs 4r35 and hand winding

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jayrob84

c60 vs samurai selita vs 4r35 and hand winding

Post by jayrob84 »

hi guys i got a seiko samurai but ive always wanted a CW trident v. my mate brought one last year and said i can have it f 500 . im tempted but im a little worried about the movement . ive herd that had winding the sellitas eats them up from the inside ? is this true or more talk also id like a watch thats as accurate as possible id like to get cosc from it . which would you go with stick with the seiko or get the cw . and which is the better movement the sellita sw200 or seiko 4r35
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: c60 vs samurai selita vs 4r35 and hand winding

Post by Fat-Sam »

It's a bit of a lottery with non/less regulated movements and you will possibly get loads of people say "my ---- runs at cosc" Or "i had a seiko and it was good/bad" but you cant judge either on one or two watches/movements as they both make so many and dont regulate them that well.

Truth is, I've had a lot of seikos and a few eta2824 and sw200s so feel able to give a fair assessment and I'd say the ETA or selita movement is preferable for me. Date change at midnight and a nicer winding feel plus easier to repair or service as they're industry standard movements. Accuracy wise... My c60 sw200 appears to be about +3.5spd, my seikos have been anything from +/-0spd to +34spd

I've had samurais and they were nice, I'd say my mk3 40mm c60 is better (but twice the price) and both have questionable quality control I think. The bezel on seikos is better to me (even my skx) but the overall feel and movement is better on my CW. Misalignment issues with seiko are notorious and ive had enough of the poor quality control. I've only had this one C60 and for less than a week so cant speak for CW in general.
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: c60 vs samurai selita vs 4r35 and hand winding

Post by H0rati0 »

The winding issue is very old news and is rubbish. It is perfectly fine to hand wind a Sellita but almost totally unnecessary - it's an auto!

While I have never had a Samurai, I do have an SRPA79J (4R36) which I am very happy with, but overall I would say that the CW Trident (I also own a Mk 2 which I presume is what we are talking about) is a much superior watch in all respects - including accuracy but I can only compare my own examples - as it damn well should be for the price difference.

I use the Seiko for diving, the CW is too nice for accidentally whacking on a wreck. Both are nice watches, you can't go wrong with either all things being equal.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)